Steel vs. Stone walls

Started by sadpickle, April 16, 2016, 09:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sadpickle

Any advantage to steel? I prefer the look but it's got less HP and 20% flammability. So unless I'm missing something...

RemingtonRyder

You need to research stonecutting and then cut chunks into blocks. Steel is available to use right away. It also builds faster.

Silvador

Steel also has a higher insulation, I think. So, better for making freezers. Stone I believe is prettier.

Limdood

Quote from: Silvador on April 16, 2016, 10:57:44 PM
Steel also has a higher insulation, I think. So, better for making freezers. Stone I believe is prettier.

are you sure there's more insulation, or is that a hunch?

Silvador

Quote from: Limdood on April 16, 2016, 11:01:04 PM
Quote from: Silvador on April 16, 2016, 10:57:44 PM

are you sure there's more insulation, or is that a hunch?

I believe a couple of versions ago, when Tynan tweaked the whole temperature mechanic, there was a specific mention of Steel keeping in the cold much better than wood. Compared to stone, I'm not entirely certain.

EDIT:
Hmm. Wiki doesn't seem to have much on the subject of insulation in regards to walls. :/

christhekiller

I do make my cafeteria and freezer out of steel tbh, I think I've done that since coolers were a thing. But otherwise nothings really certain except I'll use stone walls to mark my perimeter since they're the strongest

silentwolf123

Always used stone when i can, steel were never as strong and caught fire and fire is always a problem with my colonies as everything is next to each other.

Mathenaut

Far as I'm aware, insulation values do not change with different materials.

makapse

i think wood has the only noticeable insulation penalty. I know as my ice sheets at -40C start wood doesnt allow lowering the indoors temp as quickly as steel. Never tested for stone but i use it always anyway as its cheaper as stone is plentiful and i need to buy steel from traders just to survive.

zandadoum

Quote from: Mathenaut on April 17, 2016, 12:51:02 AM
Far as I'm aware, insulation values do not change with different materials.
^ this. the only thing affecting temperature are doors.
example freezer: use auto steel doors and make a mini corridor with 2 doors to prevent temperature filtering

hector212121

Steel is flammable...

So, uh, i guess if you want to make a little fire-based killbox?

Rahjital

Steel is a good initial building material in places where wood is rare. Stone is overall better once you can afford it, at least for walls.