Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cel

-Rock flower pot
-Rock table
-Rock chair
-To be able to grow mushrooms on the hydroponics table.

keylocke

not sure if this has been suggested before either. but in build mode, when i drag the cursor when making a wall or assigning mining areas. i want to have a text display of the affected area (ie : 4x8, 9x9, etc) so players don't have to count manually making building and mining so much more hassle free.

Demtrod

- I'd like to suggest dug down power condiuts, or even dug down with bricks.
This would defend them against fire and to some degree explosions.

- Also, I would like to be able to determine what kind of plant I want to grow on my Hydroponics tables (just like with the farming zones).

UrbanBourbon

- Tie learning speed to age
- Tie movement speed to age

Chridy

• On the trade screen, an extra button that leads back to the list of ships would be nice
  • Metal/Concrete and Stone Pillars - single space walls to hold up the ceiling
  • Power conduits that can be built in/on non-conductive walls - maybe research for it first?
  • Welcome/entry mats - Furniture that cleans some filth from colonists' feet
  • Research to increase battery efficiency maybe?  Although I don't know what the efficiency currently does
  • Blood that outside to eventually wash away.  Although more complicated, perhaps rain could help speed up that process?

The UI also seems cluttered at times, especially when the architect box is open. My cheap suggestion would be to shrink some of the boxes so that more stuff can fit into the same area.
A longer-term and less cheap version may be needed though, e.g. condensing similar things into one box that brings up the options available (like all the carpets in one box, that when clicked shows all the different colours).

Nasikabatrachus

Customizable key bindings! I'd love to be able to do something like make control + d, say, the mining designation shortcut. I say this partly because DF habits die hard, but it would also make the interface quicker to get through overall.

InCreator

I have tons of ideas, but those feel like cheap ones:

* Remove "cramped space" from negative morale modifiers. Not everyone is claustrophobic (but that'd make neat character trait!)
* Add "In my room" as positive morale modifier. Man's home is man's castle
* Less negative effects from mining. Right now, digging a long cave feels like most dangerous task ever
* Remove "trading ship in orbit" from alerts, or better yet, make two-tier alert system where such low-priority alerts appear in different-colored icon or simply as message on upper right
* Extremely cool would be to actually see shadow of trading ship slowly going over game map. Since it's far away, it would be quite large and impressive. It could even disrupt solar panels (although occurrence of ships should be much rarer, otherwise it'd just be annoying)
* Stackable food or single-tile container to store stacks of prepared food. Also known as fridge
* Some scheduling system for designated cook(s). Like "make colonist+prisoner amount of food twice a day" Right now you either micromanage food all the time or make tons (infinite) and lose a colonist to this never-ending task, not very conservative approach to ingredients neither, since stuff rots over time
* Handheld lights. Nobody really goes to dig endless mine with no flash- or headlight
* Better solar panels. They feel very unbalanced right now. So far in future, solar power efficiency should be much higher
* Prisoner escape attempts
* in a game where you colonize unknown world, there should definitely be injury and disease system. And various diseases, born immunities to them, viral outbreaks, isolating patients, broken feet and hands (and how they affect colonists work), etc etc. This is not cheap to make, but groundwork for something like this is easy enough and could be handled with character trait system

Hexxagon

Quote from: InCreator on March 02, 2014, 03:33:51 PM
* Some scheduling system for designated cook(s). Like "make colonist+prisoner amount of food twice a day" Right now you either micromanage food all the time or make tons (infinite) and lose a colonist to this never-ending task, not very conservative approach to ingredients neither, since stuff rots over time

Was thinking something similar, to implement it, you can maybe 'attach' it to a stockpile-zone, and select 'Keep stockpile filled with Simple Meal', or make 'Keep "amount" of Simple Meal'(overall in RimWorld, or maybe in a radius, like the ingredients search), instead of just 'Make 20 Simple meal'... and then forget the rest :D

MrSleepless

Outside lights - Any kind of outdoor light would be a huge thumbs up. Colonists hate the dark and end up unhappy while traveling between buildings at night (not that it has too much of an effect on their overall happiness, but it does make a difference.) And it looks good when you can light up the outside.

Carpet colors - More colors of carpet would also be nice. Not even any difference between what is already in the game, just new colors.

More decor - Flower pots and carpet are about the only way to "liven up" a room. Adding things like a painting (Seen as a white line up against a wall and only slightly affecting the happiness in a room) or bookshelves could give the game a little more variety and in turn more unique areas.

A statue - An outdoor structure that helps bring happiness up in an area. Also could bring fear?

Campfire - Could start as a simple unpowered light source and if there is extra time you could add the risk of the fire spreading and giving it a lifespan. Future development of it could include: Rain puts it out, inside house = higher risk of spreading, low-level cooking (if ever implemented,) and other possibilities as well.

Most of these would be relatively "cheap" to do and bring value to the game.

Psyckosama

Change the stackability of silver in the base game.

Right now silver like all other resources only stacks to 75. That makes storing it a real pain in the rear as successful colonies inevitably build up large stores of money. I'd suggest either going to to an abstract unit of currency or having it so silver can stack much much higher, like 750 per pile instead of 75.

Viceroy

Straps on weapons to keep them from being dropped on incapacitation
The ability to manufacture/buy said straps.
Dog goes moo!

cel

This might not be a very cheap to implement but anyhow. What about adding some animals which eat metal? Would be nice if base got hit by metal eating slugs and you have to get rid of those things fast before they eat all your metal and metal based things  ;D 

daft73

Quote from: cel on March 05, 2014, 12:21:02 PM
This might not be a very cheap to implement but anyhow. What about adding some animals which eat metal? Would be nice if base got hit by metal eating slugs and you have to get rid of those things fast before they eat all your metal and metal based things  ;D

AD&D player? I hated these things back in the day

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

keylocke

Quote from: MrSleepless on March 03, 2014, 03:35:59 AM
Outside lights - Any kind of outdoor light would be a huge thumbs up. Colonists hate the dark and end up unhappy while traveling between buildings at night (not that it has too much of an effect on their overall happiness, but it does make a difference.) And it looks good when you can light up the outside.

Campfire - Could start as a simple unpowered light source and if there is extra time you could add the risk of the fire spreading and giving it a lifespan. Future development of it could include: Rain puts it out, inside house = higher risk of spreading, low-level cooking (if ever implemented,) and other possibilities as well.

I agree with the campfire and the outside lights part. it's really important to have a cooking method that does not require electricity.

Epicnator

Defensive Ideas
-

Foxhole - Digs a small trenchlike hole that provides medium-low cover for you colonists, Can build for free.

Wooden Spikes - Can place wooden spikes that blocks movement and is impassable, Can build for free.

Metal Barrier - Can place down a low metal barrier that protects you from gunfire, Needs 10 metal each.

Barricade - Places down hastily barricaded barrier with dirt/wood/metal/etc. Needs 5 metal each,