Holy Sh**

Started by AspenShadow, October 08, 2013, 08:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AspenShadow

The kickstarter project is now 50,000 dollars over its initial request and still shows steady growth!
We've still got 23 days left until it passes through Kickstarter as a phenomenal success story, I can't help but wonder how much will have built up by then?

British

Mansen

300K would be incredible - But kicktraq almost never pans out.

British

We can safely aim for 100K+, since there's so many youtubers spreading the word...

turnip

Quote from: British on October 08, 2013, 09:32:02 AM
We can safely aim for 100K+, since there's so many youtubers spreading the word...

We raised 70k in like, 6 days.

You're aiming too low, friend.
Turnips should be a growable plant.

Zeiph

Brace yourself, s**tload of posts are coming in this forum, for the better and the worse !

Ontogenesis

Quote from: Zeiph on October 08, 2013, 12:40:55 PM
Brace yourself, s**tload of posts are coming in this forum, for the better and the worse !

Popularity comes with it's downsides, mainly for the moderators  ;)
Luckily, the dwarf fortressy style of the game is quite niche, so hopefully be a slightly maturer crowd. Fresh perspective is always great, but also be prepared for the same suggestions a thousand times...

British

Indeed, the problem with the DF crowd, besides that they are crazy, is that a good chunk wants another DF, which is crazy ! ::)

turnip

Quote from: British on October 08, 2013, 01:17:07 PM
Indeed, the problem with the DF crowd, besides that they are crazy, is that a good chunk wants another DF, which is crazy ! ::)

I've never understood why people think that to make a good game, it needs to be as similar to other good games as humanly possible.
I don't particularly like the Z-levels idea for example: they're humans (And possibly octopusmen, sectoids and reptiles), not dwarves. I think adding something like that would add a lot of unnecessary complexity to the game and make it feel too much like dorf.

Vandigeth

Quote from: turnip on October 08, 2013, 01:34:58 PM
Quote from: British on October 08, 2013, 01:17:07 PM

I've never understood why people think that to make a good game, it needs to be as similar to other good games as humanly possible.
I don't particularly like the Z-levels idea for example: they're humans (And possibly octopusmen, sectoids and reptiles), not dwarves. I think adding something like that would add a lot of unnecessary complexity to the game and make it feel too much like dorf.

I agree for the most part; however, I will say that z-levels would be particularly interesting for immersion regarding multi-story buildings rather than digging deeper and deeper into the planet's crust. Generally speaking, humans tend to build a lot of structures that are taller than a single story and will dig out basements; particularly when there may be atmospheric conditions such as tornadoes, typhoons and hurricanes. Skyscrapers would be ridiculous, but a multi-story lookout tower would fit right in to the game perfectly. All that said, digging 50 "levels" (read: Dwarf Fortress) beneath the surface is completely unnecessary and outside the scope of this game in my opinion.

Anyway, to the topic of this thread, I'm very excited regarding the amount this kickstarter has pulled in. I'm in at the Pirate level and can't wait to try out the prototype.

AspenShadow

My fault Zeiph... shouldn't have shared my joy with the world :'(

;)

Tynan

Quote from: Ontogenesis on October 08, 2013, 01:12:39 PM

Popularity comes with it's downsides, mainly for the moderators  ;)
Luckily, the dwarf fortressy style of the game is quite niche, so hopefully be a slightly maturer crowd. Fresh perspective is always great, but also be prepared for the same suggestions a thousand times...

There's been almost zero hate so far, actually. It's been really nice.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

British

Well, I hate Steam, does that count ?

Yarkista

Quote from: British on October 08, 2013, 02:43:09 PM

Damn you and your anticonformity!

Steam realy would be positive for this game, plus the fact that it'll easily raise 100k+ helps raise the game's profile.

turnip

Quote from: British on October 08, 2013, 02:43:09 PM

The game's almost guaranteed to get on steam at this point. Steam got a lot of positive press from Prison Architect, and Rimworld seems to be heading in the same direction.