EDB Retirement

Started by dragonheck, July 16, 2016, 12:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonheck

Well it looks like our favorite mod creator who is famous for his mod load order mod, colonist bar mod, and finally his most popular (though it may just be my opinion) Prepare Carefully mod is leaving the mod creation game :'( :'(  so I thought to make this topic so people could show him how much he will be missed   I know I will miss being able to customize my colony to survive those harsh winters  Truly EDB thank you from the bottom of my gamer heart and i hope you enjoy life ;D 8) ;D

quxzcover

for me the game is almost unplayable without prepare carefully. modders, get on it and make a new version!

Playbahnosh

Quote from: quxzcover on July 16, 2016, 01:12:28 AM
for me the game is almost unplayable without prepare carefully. modders, get on it and make a new version!

I was about to say the same thing. I can't play without Prepare Carefully anymore. Having that single "randomize" button just feels like an insult at this point...

Why not add the Prepare Carefully customizing functionality to vanilla like the colonist bar? It only makes sense. I guess I won't play Rimwold until that happens or some other modder picks up development on this. :(

loc978

So long, and thanks for all the fish, EDB. The game wouldn't be what it is today without you.

quxzcover

Quote from: Playbahnosh on July 16, 2016, 02:38:26 AM

Why not add the Prepare Carefully customizing functionality to vanilla like the colonist bar? It only makes sense. I guess I won't play Rimwold until that happens or some other modder picks up development on this. :(

i felt the same way with a13. i didnt even touch it until prepare carefully was updatd. but now that edb has retired, i may have to leave the game for awhile in hopes for that when i come back, a version of prepare carefully will be created.

warden

What? And here i was just about to get back to the game. No way that's happening without Prepare Carefully, the last time i started the game with three random colonists was many, many alphas ago.

Huge thanks to EdB for the mods!

Chibiabos

Quote from: warden on July 16, 2016, 02:47:54 AM
What? And here i was just about to get back to the game. No way that's happening without Prepare Carefully, the last time i started the game with three random colonists was many, many alphas ago.

Huge thanks to EdB for the mods!

You get some control over your starting colonists, and all pawns that spawn on the map, with the new Scenario Creation system.  Its a bit different of an approach than EdB had done, but similar effect.  It doesn't let you specify everything about the starting pawns, but you can force them all to have particular traits.

As for EdB leaving ... I thought they were just retiring the particular mods now that they've more or less been integrated into vanilla?  Are they going to stop making mods entirely?  That would be a shame, they clearly have talent, but I know some very talented creators in a variety of media who go through phases of losing their muse. :/
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Playbahnosh

Quote from: Chibiabos on July 16, 2016, 02:53:15 AM*words*

Scenarios is more about editing the game's conditions and rules, Prepare Carefully is about customizing your colonists, that's two different things. Sure, you can set some traits or ban some actions or whatever in scenarios, but it's either all colonists or none of them, you can't set individual traits, skills, appearance, colors, clothes, gear, etc. That's what's PC is all about and I always play with a starting story and characters in mind, I have a lot of saved profiles for different starts with different crews. The scenario system would've been a great ADDITION to that, but without Prepare Carefully, it's just feels like playing with a bunch of lemmings. Bland and pointless.

Tagasaki

monuments will be made. =(

viperwasp

I agree with everyone. I'm not going to stop playing A14 or Rimworld but it will NEVER be the same without EDB. However I understand that people lose interest and move on. If he really wants to stop I won't get the least bit up or anything at him. He has already changed Rimworld and the Devs and all of us should be forever thankful. But could we maybe hire him to continue to make Prepare Carefully? If he won't do it for free because of interest maybe some greenbacks can help! Actually I don't think that's the solution I just said it more for a joke. But seriously I understand why Vanilla Rimworld may not ever have the full functions of Prepare Carefully implemented. Another modded needs to pick up this mod or maybe Tynan can implement these features strictly as a Dev Mode "Must be on" to use them?  Like if Dev Mode is enabled then during the character screen it has all or most of the Prepare Carefully options?

Only issue is I don't even want to wait for A15 for a Vanilla Prepare Carefully I need it now! lol  Well I will say my final thanks to EDB and all modders really.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

Grynnreaper

Thanks EdB for all your hard work, its much appreciated and i wish you luck and success in your future endeavors. This PC was always the second mod i installed. The first was EdB mod order. 

daman2501

WOW, man idk if will be able to play the game without EDBPC MOD, Like others have said... This is the end of an  :'(
YOU`RE DA-MAN!!!

EdB

I appreciate all of the kind words.

I am still going to be stepping away from RimWorld modding, but I've been feeling bad about what must have seemed liked an abrupt decision for Prepare Carefully.  I've spent some time today open-sourcing the code for the mod to better prepare it for others to take it over or to create their own mods based on it.

In addition, I completed an initial Alpha 14 version.  It should be considered a beta and definitely has some bugs, but it seems to mostly work.  More information can be found here:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6261.msg234876#msg234876

I'm not entirely sure what's next regarding a final Alpha 14 version, but I feel like the mod is at least now better-positioned to live on in one form or another.

CrazyTribal

I agree with some of the above.. without Prepare Carefully mod.. the game is nearly unplayable for me.  I just prefer making my own custom starting colonists and their looks.   If that means I will have to play earlier versions.. then so be it. 

Though to be honest I am sure some mod author will take over and create something similar.. it's too popular a mod to lose.
Question:What's better than a Chocolate Chip Cookie?
Answer: I don't want to know the answer...

Come visit Crazy Tribal Gaming Youtube Channel!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9L17J54Il77T6t95d4G3pw

Gennadios

Thank you for all your hard work, and for open sourcing the mod, EdB. You will be missed!