Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorymasterQ

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on March 16, 2014, 10:37:37 AM
Hated skills and tasks!
These are the opposite of passion skills. Not only do the colonists learn these skills slower but if you put a colonist to do these tasks, their loyalty and happiness go down. In the Thoughts tab it could appear as 'Worked on something he/she hated'. Perhaps in the same vein, a colonist should gain happiness if he's assigned to apply passioned skills?
+1
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

James009

Functional Traits! Each trait and background (adult/childhood) should have a greater impact on the game modifying abilities, skills, and character personality. Make the character depth as deep as possible for the most meaningful experience.
Lets Crashland Here Simulator!

idgarad

Grenade damage needs a nerf against walls or roll a new reinforced wall.

Metal Floors should = smoothed stone as far as happiness goes.

Cramped quarters size needs to be reduced. If each square is roughly 5 square feet apparently you are cramped if your room is less then 30x30 feet! Apparently a person feels cramped if their bedroom is the same size as an entire apartment. Even 5x6 @ 5 feet per square is 25x30 feet! A typical master bedroom in the USA for example is 10x12 and most common bedrooms are 10x10 or 8x9 (not counting closets).

Ability to assign beds rather then having to remove a sleeping area to foce colonist to select a new bed.

Monkfish

Quote from: idgarad on March 17, 2014, 08:49:40 AM
Ability to assign beds rather then having to remove a sleeping area to foce colonist to select a new bed.
I manage this by setting a bed as a prisoner bed, although all of my colonists always have their own rooms (which means a stupidly large base as the rooms are 5x6 with dividing walls to get full happiness).
<insert witty signature here>

Tynan

Grenade damage needs a nerf against walls or roll a new reinforced wall.

Metal Floors should = smoothed stone as far as happiness goes.

Cramped quarters size needs to be reduced. If each square is roughly 5 square feet apparently you are cramped if your room is less then 30x30 feet! Apparently a person feels cramped if their bedroom is the same size as an entire apartment. Even 5x6 @ 5 feet per square is 25x30 feet! A typical master bedroom in the USA for example is 10x12 and most common bedrooms are 10x10 or 8x9 (not counting closets).

I imagine them as closer to 3 feet (e.g. doorway width, or the with of one person with a bit of personal space) than 5 feet.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Serrate Bloodrage

You people using your feet to measure distance, so funny ^^

If only my colonist could have 'personal time' to reduced stress =D

StorymasterQ

So true. We all know we should be using a smaller unit, like, say, the Barleycorn
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Serrate Bloodrage

And wow, still in use in the US and UK, to determine the length of a person's foot! You don't know how much you brightened my day Storymaster

If only my colonist could have 'personal time' to reduced stress =D

Rokiyo

Quote from: Tynan on March 17, 2014, 12:11:55 PM

I imagine them as closer to 3 feet (e.g. doorway width, or the with of one person with a bit of personal space) than 5 feet.

That's still 18 square feet, which is still quite big for a bedroom. :P

Tynan

It's not specific to bedrooms.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mkire

Currently the trading mechanism works by sliders, and that's okay, but would it be possible to implement the ability to simply type the desired trade number? It'd be real helpful for when i want to sell thousands of pounds of potatoes so i can afford to buy some slaves or a bunch of nice guns

harpo99999

Quote from: mkire on March 18, 2014, 05:56:36 PM
Currently the trading mechanism works by sliders, and that's okay, but would it be possible to implement the ability to simply type the desired trade number? It'd be real helpful for when i want to sell thousands of pounds of potatoes so i can afford to buy some slaves or a bunch of nice guns
I also had suggested a similar idea forthe basically same reasons, but as it would bea bit more than small change to the interface, I only hold out hope and desire that it will happen.

Nihil

Not sure if it has been suggested/planned already, but I just wanted to make a quick suggestion before I fell asleep.

Orders(specifically for meals) to have an option to refresh daily.

When placing orders for meals, I try my best to avoid making too many at a time due to the expiry dates. I end up deciding I will make a certain amount every day but I inevitably forget on the next day. There are ways I could manipulate the stockpiles to result in a similar effect but I feel all current solutions subtract fun and creates unnecessary micromanagement.

Monkfish

Recent patch notes states that stockpiles will have desired values, so it should be possible to set a food stockpile and your cooks will only make meals when the stockpile is below the level you've set. Not sure when Alpha 3 will be out but I'm looking forward to it!
<insert witty signature here>

Nihil

Quote from: Monkfish on March 19, 2014, 06:08:23 AM
Recent patch notes states that stockpiles will have desired values, so it should be possible to set a food stockpile and your cooks will only make meals when the stockpile is below the level you've set. Not sure when Alpha 3 will be out but I'm looking forward to it!

I read that in the notes but even with that fix I would still attempt my forgetful strategy.

With a sufficiently large colony I would need to have a stockpile maintain 15-20 meals to ensure no one is eating paste or raw foods when everyone wakes up hungry at the same time. One thing I notice whenever I try and keep a lot of meals in storage is that a few will get ignored in favour of the closer ones and they will go bad. Colonists do not prioritize the meals that are closer to going bad(perhaps they should). Maintaining a stockpile for me always leads to waste, I would much rather cook precisely how many meals I think I would need every day.

I do agree that I am looking forward to the next release though.