harvest bionics from corpses

Started by keylocke, December 03, 2014, 03:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PotatoeTater

Quote from: keylocke on December 03, 2014, 03:49:17 PM
^title :

i understand not being able to harvest organs off from dead people. but bionic implants should still be harvestable, amirite?  ;D

According to the game lore, as written by Tynan, bionics fuses with the person they are installed on. After death, the bionics will not refuse with a new host. That is why they are only one uses, once added to a person, they change to match only their DNA and body type.
Life is Strange

SpaceDorf

That makes no sense at all, since you can harvest nearly everything from a living body and slam it frankenstyle in anybody around without concern for genetics, bloodtype and all the other fuss about organ transplants, the same goes with bionics ..

i had a cybereye that changed users without complains  .. first time i accidently installed it into a prostophobe with a shout out eye .. i deinstalled it again after noticing .. stumped at first i noticed his prostophile wife,  I extracted her right eye,
stuffed it in the now happy prostophobe and gave her the cybereye .. what a happy pair ..

i understand tynans train of thought, that the metal adapts to perfectly fit the user, and in most rpg-lore ( at least pen&paper )  implants and cybernetic prosthetics are always crafted to fit the user perfectly, but there still is a 2nd hand market ..
which of course suffers of performance and balance issues.
still a used cyberleg is still better than a brand new wooden stick ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

cultist

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 09, 2016, 04:58:00 PM
That makes no sense at all, since you can harvest nearly everything from a living body and slam it frankenstyle in anybody around without concern for genetics, bloodtype and all the other fuss about organ transplants, the same goes with bionics ..

i had a cybereye that changed users without complains  ..

Changing users isn't the problem. The problem is that active bionics rely on the host. If the host dies, the implant dies with the host. I like to imagine it's a standard that was implemented to prevent the customers of bionics corporations from being violently murdered for their bionics. Or to prevent technology from falling into enemy hands if a soldier with bionics is killed.

You can (and should?) argue with the lore as much as you want, but at the end of the day the lore is just fluff. The actual reason for bionics breaking when you kill the host is game balance.

winddbourne

For game balance INSTALLING a bionic body part should be a lot harder than simply getting one. If you aren't buying these parts from a traveling doctor with a full operating theater you should have to BUILD a sanitary hospital complete with plenty machines, IV drips, special beds . . . and of course you need a doctor with a certain minimal skill.

It shouldn't be the PART that the problem. Grabbing a bionic arm off a corpse can be done with a hacksaw . . . but making sure all the rotted flesh and bone are scrubbed from it, disinfecting it, and actually hooking it back onto one of your colonists . . . THAT should be a task of epic proportions.

It also opens up new trading possibilities. The traveling bionic parts merchant may not be carrying exactly what you need but he can clean the scrap parts you've harvested for a nominal fee, and for even more money he can put them into one of your colonists.

Sure if it's not hand crafted to fit you might have performance problems but you can't tell me that fast eddy the bio parts sales man is bringing eyes and such specifically fit to MY colonist in his wagon. Nor does it make sense that the parts are programmed to "die" as any such "lore" would simply result in black market doctors and hackers over riding the kill switches within a decade of them being installed. A security system is only as good as the person it's going up against.

SpaceDorf

And doctors should effing NOT destroy bionic parts when the botch the installation ...  >:(

Pax_Empyrean

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 12, 2016, 02:14:36 PM
And doctors should effing NOT destroy bionic parts when the botch the installation ...  >:(
It is literally impossible to underestimate the competence of Rimworld doctors. These are people who, upon attempting to attach a peg leg, can decapitate their patient. A routine examination consists of a man walking into the medical wing past the rest of the colony chanting "TWO MEN ENTER, ONE MAN LEAVES" where Dr. Kenshiro greets him with "You are already dead."

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Pax_Empyrean on August 12, 2016, 03:18:02 PM

It is literally impossible to underestimate the competence of Rimworld doctors. These are people who, upon attempting to attach a peg leg, can decapitate their patient. A routine examination consists of a man walking into the medical wing past the rest of the colony chanting "TWO MEN ENTER, ONE MAN LEAVES" where Dr. Kenshiro greets him with "You are already dead."

Thank you! Holy shit, thank you! What a great laugh I just had.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on August 12, 2016, 03:39:38 PM
Quote from: Pax_Empyrean on August 12, 2016, 03:18:02 PM

Thank you! Holy shit, thank you! What a great laugh I just had.

Me too, even it was just sadness about the truth in your words

Kegereneku

Another idea for balance :
Installing a Bionics require Components.
And you don't get any when removing one.

That way you can't spam them (assuming they were common in the first place) and you might in fact be better selling them. That's important in a game where you usually have to spam clothes or sculpture to have any sort of income. (in short we lack high-value scavenged items for trading)
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Kegereneku on August 13, 2016, 02:52:45 AM
Another idea for balance :
Installing a Bionics require Components.
And you don't get any when removing one.

That way you can't spam them (assuming they were common in the first place) and you might in fact be better selling them. That's important in a game where you usually have to spam clothes or sculpture to have any sort of income. (in short we lack high-value scavenged items for trading)

Make that Glitterworld Medicine and I am game :)

MeowRailroad

Or both, maybe the bionic needs components to join the limb properly and medicine is needed to seal the wound.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"