Anyone else getting pissed off at this too?

Started by shaw357, September 17, 2016, 06:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaw357

>Level 13 doctor
>98% surgery success chance
>Tries to perform surgery
>Catastrophic failure 4 times out of 10

sadpickle

Play some X-Com, then you will realize how forgiving RNJesus can be in Rimworld.

>Flank an x-ray
>98% chance to hit
>"Take the shot"
>Miss

>In full cover
>Smoke Grenade
>Get wrecked by Thin Man anyway

That said, I will admit to save-scumming for bionics implantation. Why failure = 'lol i lost bionic part', I don't know.

O Negative

Even the best doctors in the world can't do a good job without proper lighting and supplies ;)

Regardless, minor and catastrophic failures shouldn't involve accidental removal of organs and limbs, along with the loss of any prosthetics you were trying to apply.
"Great... I lost a bionic arm, AND I accidentally removed her left lung & right leg..."
That's what makes them so frustrating... I'd be a lot less annoyed if minor failures only involved the loss of the prosthetic/materials used, while catastrophic failures did the same plus either a serious infection or crippling pain in the patient which lasted for a few days.

xcom has its frustrating moments, but I'd be reluctant to say they're this frustrating lol ;)

skinicism

Well, I had to start up a crash-landed colony without any medical skill at all. I find that it actually makes the game easier when you are forced to micro-manage combat without a healer while starting out.

mumblemumble

I find it more funny that removing someones HEAD can count as a "minor" failure.... Sorry but decapitation is not minor.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

carbon

You should be investing in glitterworld meds to install bionics until you have a surgeon with >= 100% success chance. There's no reason to not spend 80 - 100 silver to protect your 1200 - 1400 silver bionic part and colonist.

shaw357

Quote from: carbon on September 17, 2016, 09:11:50 PM
You should be investing in glitterworld meds to install bionics until you have a surgeon with >= 100% success chance. There's no reason to not spend 80 - 100 silver to protect your 1200 - 1400 silver bionic part and colonist.

But the medicine only acts as anesthesia. No matter what medicine you use during operations, the outcome of using it is always the same (Unconscious). It's the surgeon success rate that is so weird. I have a hospital bed (good), a vitals monitor, a standing lamp, a level 13 surgeon, 98% surgery success chance, and that surgeon ends up slicing someone's kidney in two while trying to install a bionic eye. That's crazy.

FMK

Quote from: shaw357 on September 17, 2016, 09:48:59 PM
Quote from: carbon on September 17, 2016, 09:11:50 PM

But the medicine only acts as anesthesia. No matter what medicine you use during operations, the outcome of using it is always the same (Unconscious). It's the surgeon success rate that is so weird. I have a hospital bed (good), a vitals monitor, a standing lamp, a level 13 surgeon, 98% surgery success chance, and that surgeon ends up slicing someone's kidney in two while trying to install a bionic eye. That's crazy.

Incorrect, anesthesia is able to be applied even without any kind of medicine in RimWorld. If you check the info tab on the different medicines you can see that Herbal Medicine is 75%, Medicine is 100%, and Glitterworld Medicine is 135% as modifiers for medical potency (which includes surgery success chance).

So if you're using Herbal, it's no wonder you're failing constantly.

Panzer

FMK is right here, Tynan confirmed that when I had a chance to ask him directly. It is kind of hidden though, should be mentioned that surgery success chance depends on medicine used.

Shurp

Yeah, even though the game will now allow herbal medicine to be used, it's not a good idea.  Better to have medkits handy.  It used to be they were required and it might make sense to put that back to avoid confusion.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

chaotix14

It's not explicitly mentioned, but given the terms use you could have figured out that it has an effect on both healing quality and on the surgery success chance, since it mentions medical potency rather than something containing healing quality. Also you can put people under anesthetic without actually using up the medicine and people under anesthetic still need medicine for the operation, so that should have been a good clue that the meds aren't for the anesthetic only.

Also the quality of the hospital bed(at least not within the normal to legendary part, haven't actually looked at the stats of a low quality hospital bed) doesn't influence the healing/surgery chances, it just increases the rest and comfort values(granted comfort is important if you have someone with sleeping sickness or some other slow disease that keeps them bed bound to not die).

DuckBoy

Doc, I have pain in my toe!

Okay, let's amputate it

Minor complications, we accidentally slashed into your brain.
Damn this herbal medicine.

-Diaries of a level 16 Doctor with 120% surgery success rate

---

In his defense, he was operating in pitch black darkness, he was high on yayo, and the patient was staggeringly ugly.

Serenity

There is a mod that reduces the random mutilations, but  increases the chance of infections when surgery fails. Makes a lot more sense.

code99xx

Yeah I think imma start using that mod ... something about this just doesnt feel right ... "what? your leg is broken? no worries, im a good doctor (18 doctor) and we got a spare bionic leg, we will just amputate your broken leg and replace with this better leg."

3 tries later "sorry, we did the best we could, sadly you lost the other leg, we couldnt install the bionic leg and your brain and kidney is gone BUT dont worry, we got one to spare" and so it continues.

I was using medikits (normal ones, not the gliter things), cant remember the chances but it was around 95-98%.

The guy died shortly after my 4th attempt.

O Negative

I once had a colonist missing her right hand from a shotgun blast. She was my crafter, so I wanted to give her a prosthetic replacement.

Attempt 1: Minor Failure - Cut off left leg and right arm
Attempt 2: Major Failure - Cut out right lung and eye
Attempt 3: Euthanasia...

I couldn't keep torturing her, but I also couldn't let her live like that...

May she Rest in Pieces