Hey there!

Started by Vagaroid, September 24, 2016, 11:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vagaroid

Dear community of Rimworld,

I am new to this game and I wonder if any of you might give me some tips of how to play this game etc. I have already succesfully downloaded a mod which I haven't used yet due to the fact I am new to Rimworld. I have been playing Prison Architect and the building stuff is kind of similar to Rimworld. I have a great feeling about this game and I hope this will be one of the main games I play. :)

Thanks to the people who are willing to help me,
Vagaroid. <3

EDIT:

Can someone help me with the electric stove?
It says I need tools and my people are slowly dying because I can't cook...

Jimyoda

In early game try making a campfire. It only requires wood, roofing to protect from rain, lasts four days, and can cook simple meals. The electric stove needs steel and not sure but maybe components too, as most electric items do. Components often run in short supply but given time you'll see they come from many sources (traders, mining deposits, ship parts, dismantling mechanoids, etc). So if a component shortage is ever holding you back, use the non-electric alternative when possible. In this case either a campfire or a wood-fueled stove.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

brcruchairman

Welcome, Vagaroid!

As Jimyoda said, campfires are a component-free alternative, and work well in the beginning. I admit, I'm not sure what you mean by "Needs tools"; do you mean it needs components? If so, you usually start with a good pile of components, but they may be forbidden; be sure you've found and unforbidden  them.

As for more general tips, the wiki has some nice hints here. Some general hints I can generally give are thus:

1) If you're in a warm biome with above-freezing averages, it's worth making a freezer (using the coolers) to preserve large quantities of food, so you can survive even if something goes wrong with your current crop.

2) Once you have a steady supply of food, it's worth farming healroot; it's much cheaper than importing medicine, and for things like small cuts and bruises, will save the more expensive medicine for things like surgery.

3) As a matter of defense, try to have defensive positions (using walls or sandbags) at all the approaches to your base, and try to clear the areas in front of them from cover. This way your colonists can fight with a defensive bonus, and attackers will have more trouble.

4) Finally, note that this game is incredibly flexible; my tactics work for me, but others have very different tactics that work extraordinarily well for them. Don't be afraid to disregard advice, try something new, or seek alternate opinions! I know my own advice, for instance, is functional, but not optimal; others on this forum have developed some truly extraordinary defensive, survival, and economic strategies, many of which are mutually exclusive. There's so many ways to do things, so once you start to get a feel for the game, feel free to try all sorts of different things. :)

Hope you enjoy the game!
--Andrew

Vagaroid

Quote from: Jimyoda on September 24, 2016, 01:35:52 PM
In early game try making a campfire. It only requires wood, roofing to protect from rain, lasts four days, and can cook simple meals. The electric stove needs steel and not sure but maybe components too, as most electric items do. Components often run in short supply but given time you'll see they come from many sources (traders, mining deposits, ship parts, dismantling mechanoids, etc). So if a component shortage is ever holding you back, use the non-electric alternative when possible. In this case either a campfire or a wood-fueled stove.
Thanks for the info, I will remember that.
I started using electricity at first and my people died. xD
Btw I am a boy. ;)

Vagaroid

Quote from: brcruchairman on September 24, 2016, 01:54:40 PM
Welcome, Vagaroid!

As Jimyoda said, campfires are a component-free alternative, and work well in the beginning. I admit, I'm not sure what you mean by "Needs tools"; do you mean it needs components? If so, you usually start with a good pile of components, but they may be forbidden; be sure you've found and unforbidden  them.

As for more general tips, the wiki has some nice hints here. Some general hints I can generally give are thus:

1) If you're in a warm biome with above-freezing averages, it's worth making a freezer (using the coolers) to preserve large quantities of food, so you can survive even if something goes wrong with your current crop.

2) Once you have a steady supply of food, it's worth farming healroot; it's much cheaper than importing medicine, and for things like small cuts and bruises, will save the more expensive medicine for things like surgery.

3) As a matter of defense, try to have defensive positions (using walls or sandbags) at all the approaches to your base, and try to clear the areas in front of them from cover. This way your colonists can fight with a defensive bonus, and attackers will have more trouble.

4) Finally, note that this game is incredibly flexible; my tactics work for me, but others have very different tactics that work extraordinarily well for them. Don't be afraid to disregard advice, try something new, or seek alternate opinions! I know my own advice, for instance, is functional, but not optimal; others on this forum have developed some truly extraordinary defensive, survival, and economic strategies, many of which are mutually exclusive. There's so many ways to do things, so once you start to get a feel for the game, feel free to try all sorts of different things. :)

Hope you enjoy the game!
--Andrew
Thanks a lot!
I have been playing the game and so far the only problems were:

- Food
- Ill people
- Joy

I have had some problems creating food but I think the tips you two gave me were very useful!
I have had some ill people who had taken some rest in a bed and after a few hours they just died.
Some people in my colony don't seem to enjoy my base but I will figure that out.

Sirencly, Vagaroid.

PS. Sorry for the double post, I can't quote 2 things in one message.

brcruchairman

No worries at all! :) For future reference, when you're in the reply page where you type your response, below (at least on my machine) you can see a summary of posts below with little "Insert Quote" buttons in the top right. I only say this because it took me ages to figure it out for myself. >.>

On the topic of ill people, do you recall what the illness was? There are a few ways to deal with health issues. Wounds are fairly straightforward, diseases take a bit more work. In either case, some things that help get a better outcome are: 1) Medicine. Glitterworld is best, standard medicine is good, herbal is shoddy, none is worst. 2) Medical beds. They can substantially increase how fast a colonist will recover from an illness. Medical monitors are bonus. However, both these take research, so a normal bed designated for medical use will do to start. 3) Doctor's skill. This is mostly in the quality of wound treatment and surgeries.

From what you said, the colonists went to bed and died, it sounds like no pawn treated them. Is it possible one of the wounded was your doctor? Pawns cannot, at present, self-treat, so if all your pawns with "Doctor" enabled in the work menu are disabled (wounded, resting, etc.) then none will automatically treat the others. It may be necessary to temporarily appoint a non-skilled pawn as doctor to ensure that the others get treatment; even something as little as a few cuts from a hunting expedition can be lethal if left untreated long enough.

On the topic of joy, there are several items you can build, some of which are very low-cost. The simplest is a horseshoes pin; it takes 15 resources (such as wood, stone bricks, steel, etc.) and provides a nice place for colonists to have fun. Chess and billiards tables are two more which are unlocked by default, though they take a bit more resources and/or work. When you can afford them, buying TVs, telescopes and the like from traders also gives quite a bit of joy. Drugs, including beer, are also good sources of joy, though may take lengthy production chains (in the case of beer), have addictive properties (in the case of non-booze), or both.

I hope this has been helpful. :) And if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :)

--A

Vagaroid

Quote from: brcruchairman on September 24, 2016, 03:54:04 PM
No worries at all! :) For future reference, when you're in the reply page where you type your response, below (at least on my machine) you can see a summary of posts below with little "Insert Quote" buttons in the top right. I only say this because it took me ages to figure it out for myself. >.>

On the topic of ill people, do you recall what the illness was? There are a few ways to deal with health issues. Wounds are fairly straightforward, diseases take a bit more work. In either case, some things that help get a better outcome are: 1) Medicine. Glitterworld is best, standard medicine is good, herbal is shoddy, none is worst. 2) Medical beds. They can substantially increase how fast a colonist will recover from an illness. Medical monitors are bonus. However, both these take research, so a normal bed designated for medical use will do to start. 3) Doctor's skill. This is mostly in the quality of wound treatment and surgeries.

From what you said, the colonists went to bed and died, it sounds like no pawn treated them. Is it possible one of the wounded was your doctor? Pawns cannot, at present, self-treat, so if all your pawns with "Doctor" enabled in the work menu are disabled (wounded, resting, etc.) then none will automatically treat the others. It may be necessary to temporarily appoint a non-skilled pawn as doctor to ensure that the others get treatment; even something as little as a few cuts from a hunting expedition can be lethal if left untreated long enough.

On the topic of joy, there are several items you can build, some of which are very low-cost. The simplest is a horseshoes pin; it takes 15 resources (such as wood, stone bricks, steel, etc.) and provides a nice place for colonists to have fun. Chess and billiards tables are two more which are unlocked by default, though they take a bit more resources and/or work. When you can afford them, buying TVs, telescopes and the like from traders also gives quite a bit of joy. Drugs, including beer, are also good sources of joy, though may take lengthy production chains (in the case of beer), have addictive properties (in the case of non-booze), or both.

I hope this has been helpful. :) And if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :)

--A
Thank you! :)

It said the person was ill and I tried to heal the person etc. but the guy wouldn't help him at all. In the end the person just died in his own bed..
With the joy part, I just placed a chess table and they were fine. xD

I am currently playing The Lost Tribe option, but the story gave me the idea that the demons will come to my tribe and slaughter all of my people. xD

- Thanks! :)

ruddthree

If it was something along the lines of an infection, you can't treat a patient once, and you're done, nor can you treat a patient more than once in a rapid amount of time. It takes 12 in-game hours between treatments, and 3-6+ treatments until the person develops immunity and eventuality gets rid of whatever he/she was sick with.

kaskel2000

My only real tip after my first play through is don't be in a rush to go back to previous saves. I spent my entire first play through going back every time someone died to a raid. Yes i built a great colony but in the end it became boring.

This time I'm letting things happen. If someone died they are truly dead. Slight side effect is one of my characters lost his wife to a raider, he then got engaged to someone else who subsequently got killed to sythers. In short he's now prone to break downs. But this is the true joy of the game.