Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huxi

+1 to Blitzkriegslers suggestion.

I saw your fight and was pretty sure that this would be the end of your colony.  :o
Keep up the awesome videos!

Nero

Alt + Tab friendly - Make sure it doesn't crash if you Alt + tab out.

daft73

Sooo many ideas floating around in here, great stuff. There are quite a few ideas floating a round concerning the dead, at least the burials of them. How about a Mausoleum type building that can be built to house the dead, but also adds a positive bonus towards the colonists. It could house "X"bodies and be built through tech or such.

A mechanic dealing with undead could be interesting, as well as lead to some interesting stories.  ;)

Tynan

Quote from: Hypolite on October 10, 2013, 08:03:45 AM
Quote from: SpaceEatingTrex on October 10, 2013, 07:39:27 AM
That way seems like after the colored carpet is created it would function identically to the current carpets. Or am I not understanding the implementation?

other stuff

It has to do with the properties of graphics hardware. Modern graphics hardware is very, very fast at processing huge data sets (millions of triangles and pixels). However, it is very, very slow at changing the parameters of that processing. The most important of these parameters is the material that is being used.

On "draw call" is of the form "draw this mesh using this material". There are two costs to the draw call. The first is setting it up - a fixed cost having to do with changing to a new mesh and a new material being drawn. The other is actually drawing the stuff, which is a cost that gets larger as the complexity of the mesh/material increases. However, meshes and materials have to be extremely complex before they start slowing down the system. In RimWorld, by far the most important rendering cost is the fixed cost of every draw call. To reduce this cost I actually combine all the non-moving meshes in each 17x17 square of the map into one dynamically as they change, so I can draw them all at once.

The thing with carpets with a color picker is, the only way to implement this is to create a generated material with a color parameter. But then, if the player makes carpets of many different colors, they could force the machine to run a draw call for every different color, which, in bad cases, could destroy your performance.

Anyway - I'll add more carpet colors eventually, I think. Perhaps patterns!

Back to the cheap ideas!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

FangoWolf

So the paste dispenser, dishes out paste so the colonists will have energy to accomplish tasks.  How about reversing the polarity.  A food processor that converts food stuff into energy.

FangoWolf

What about a mechaboom rat.  Functions as a mad boomrat but will not go off unless near an enemy and not in the home area.

Dejix

Large door. Something that covers 2 cells. 'Nuf said.

Cheap ideas are hard to think of. XD

Blitz

Make unarmed colonists who have been drafted automatically repair turrets (not walls or sandbags).

Pheanox

Oooh a hospitality suite, that's a great idea!

Matt.All

Quote from: FangoWolf on October 10, 2013, 01:28:53 PM
So the paste dispenser, dishes out paste so the colonists will have energy to accomplish tasks.  How about reversing the polarity.  A food processor that converts food stuff into energy.
Oh wow, when I started reading that, I was sure you were going to finish with "How about a food processor that converts colonists into paste".

Which... might be a decent gameplay idea. In a pinch, draw straws as to who gets to take a trip to the Soylentnator?

Dejix

Can cover affect structures? An example would be if you pile sandbags against a turret (or close to it) will it be harder to hit? If not, it should. right?

Blitz

Quote from: Dejix on October 10, 2013, 06:45:35 PM
Can cover affect structures? An example would be if you pile sandbags against a turret (or close to it) will it be harder to hit? If not, it should. right?

Sandbags do provide cover for turrets.

miah999

Quote from: GC13 on October 10, 2013, 04:30:05 PM
  • Bed ownershipâ€"Travelers: Allows you to make a hospitality suite. Travelers will stay the night, maybe tipping you for courtesy or joining you (I guess depending on the Happiness they get as a result of their stay?).

That's a great Idea! The travelers should have to pay 10 money to stay the night.

You could also make equipment racks that "sell" weapons and such to a passerby, or a food paste dispense to sell food, (but I'd say it can't be the same one for the colonists).

Then you'd could have a hotel, a store and a restaurant. A whole new way to earn money and a new focus for your colony, especially when playing with Phoebe Friendly.

Pheanox

An option to smooth mined walls.

Ability to build earthen(underground tile) walls.

Keyreper

farms on individual ties instead of one big farm, different types of food for each dispenser, windows, hair style that gives bonus points.

EDIT: flame thrower, or just go tell someone to go start fires, just to annoy raiders! your friends!