[A16] Needs tab causes severe FPS drops

Started by AWildman, January 02, 2017, 10:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWildman

I get almost crippling lag when opening the needs tab of any pawn. Any other tab is fine, health and social and all that don't cause any issues, but the moment I click on needs the game slows down, sometimes to as low as 18 FPS, even when paused.  Some pawns are worse than others but I haven't noticed if it's related to a specific moodlet.

Occurs in an unmodded Alpha 16 colony that wasn't carried over from a previous version and persists after closing and reloading. I should also say that "Lavego" is the worst offender I've found.

Link for save file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro7vkkor5lmfd2g/The%20Eager%20Beegers.rws?dl=0

dv

I get the same problem.

In debug mode, I'm getting a nonstop stream of errors regarding Pawn mood. It also seems to screw up positioning of some onscreen elements, and makes the need tab effectively blank. (I think the text is rendered outside the window. A couple of pawns are okay, so I think it's pawn-sensitive. Two of my pawns are ok, the rest cause the problem.)

Screenshot here:

http://imgur.com/a/4A9UF

GiantSpaceHamster

I am also getting the FPS drop on the needs tab for pawns. I am not getting any errors in the debug console, just a bit of a performance drop.

Calahan

Thank you for the bug report, and especially the save file. The latter makes the whole process sooo much easier.

I loaded your save game and... uuuuurgh, that is one annoying issue. The game stuttered like crazy while running with Lavego's needs tab open. No idea of the cause, but I'm sure Tynan will be thankful that someone has reported this in a vanilla game, and more importantly, with a way to reproduce it (via the save game).

So thanks for this (and now it's just a matter of waiting for one of the Mantis inputters to transfer it there. Assuming Tynan doesn't notice this thread before then).

GiantSpaceHamster

While working on a mod I noticed that the overall Mood and the Beauty and Space needs seemed to have more of an effect on performance than the others. Might be a good place to start looking.

I experience this issue with my current game, but I have mods enabled. The three I have enabled shouldn't affect any game data so I disabled them and reloaded the game to verify that the performance issue still occurs. It does. The mods are Numbers, Medical Tab, and Moody, all of which are just ways to view existing data about your colonists.

If my save game would be useful let me know.

Calahan

@ GiantSpaceHamster - I think your save would be useful if you still have it, as if the problem isn't obvious, then in theory, the more examples that are available to analyse the better. So I can't see any harm in you posting your save, plus it's usually better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it.

So if your save reliably reproduces this FPS drop like the OP's does, then please go ahead and post it.

GiantSpaceHamster

Here you go. As a reminder, I use three mods: Numbers, Medical Tab, and Moody. None of them should modify any game data so it is safe to load the game without the mods. Numbers saves some preferences about itself, but I have not noticed that cause any problems when loading a game after disabling it. I made sure that Moody was minimized when checking the Needs tabs so Moody was not retrieving any data or rendering anything at the time. I also loaded it up without the mods enabled and experienced the same issues with the Needs tab.

Val is the only colonist whose Needs tab does not incur a large performance penalty. Everyone else cuts my FPS in half. Carrie seems to be a bit worse than the others, but hard to tell for sure. I noticed that Val is my only Psychopath. Not sure if that is involved directly or indirectly with the performance problem. Maybe because of that he doesn't have certain needs that others have that are expensive to calculate? Just speculating.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65763178/NeedTabPerformanceIssues.rws

I'm proud of my herd in this one =)

ison

Thanks everyone, I fixed the issue with poor performance.

This however looks like a different bug:
Quote from: dv on January 02, 2017, 01:18:52 PM
I get the same problem.

In debug mode, I'm getting a nonstop stream of errors regarding Pawn mood. It also seems to screw up positioning of some onscreen elements, and makes the need tab effectively blank. (I think the text is rendered outside the window. A couple of pawns are okay, so I think it's pawn-sensitive. Two of my pawns are ok, the rest cause the problem.)

Screenshot here:

http://imgur.com/a/4A9UF

Could you please upload the savefile?

ison

Calahan

@ ison - I've PM-ed the user (dv) who reported the bug you quoted, and unfortunately they no longer have a save file available regarding that bug.

Tynan

I'm willing to let this go; a lot has changed. Thanks for reporting anyway. We'll catch it if it pops up again.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog