Relation to Prison Architect

Started by Hypolite, September 16, 2013, 02:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elemenofi

I think it was about a year, maybe a year and a half, when I first tried DF. I was instantly hooked up to the game and I seriously could not believe it. I tried to retell the story of Moria many times...

I knew soon there would be many people willing to create new games with the same concept. Afterall, DF is a conceptual masterpiece. And I think this man is doing right by marketing Rimworld    as a story generator. Thats is intelligent and personally my opinion would be that it has more fun potential. Building a prison is also a tremendous amount of fun but as others have suggested it seems to be a more linear experience. I hope the developers of PA probe me wrong because it is also a really nice game!

In conclusion I hope the execution of this game is good enough to provide a sandbox with likelihoods and probabilities yet quite a lot of possibilities and overall madness. Afterall, space is an infinite yet lonely place.

Ogaburan

What first attracted me to PA was the artstyle, and I hope you keep it.

Its just an art-style that is so... brilliant & simplistic! That you kick yourself for not thinking about it first.
My 2 cents is that you should mention the artist in "special thanks", as he is deserving.

As for your thoughts of abandoning it, I would plea with you not to.
I really like it.
You shouldn't be pressured into doing so, just because another game "did it first".
Anyone who spends more then 2 seconds looking at the game-play realizes these are two really different games.
But be sure some "reviewers" will call your name "Prison Architect in Space", which at the end of the day will just be:
1. A comparison to a solid game.
2. Free publicity.

The Ataraxist

I think alot of people will flak this game if he kept it though, as it is a DIRECT port of the graphics, not just a similar style...

Maybe give them space suits?

Ogaburan

Quote from: The Ataraxist on September 19, 2013, 06:55:25 PM
Maybe give them space suits?

Ofc, thats what I meant.
Just keeping the "cone-men with floating hands" aspect, for a lack of a better term.

The Ataraxist

Quote from: Ogaburan on September 19, 2013, 07:42:38 PM
Ofc, thats what I meant.

Oy! Don't get snappy...
You wern't clear, so I elaborated.

Anyhow, in order to do this right, perhaps Tynan should just HIRE the original artist, yes?

Syphus

I never stop being amused when people bring up DF while talking about graphics.

However, if at some point you want to make a second game that's "Space Prison Architect" I would buy that in day.

Tynan

Funny thing is, you can get prisoners in RimWorld. If you just never try to recruit them, you can keep as many as you want. So you could actually make a giant space prison if that's what you fancied (though the prisoners would never leave their cells).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Syphus

In my imagination, I have a small colony with a giant prison of poor raiders or colonists who did something I didn't like. These people then do the menial labor for my better colonists. Then, if they ever riot or get upset with being a slave, and defeat my amazingly high-tech AI Security, I feed them to the Rancor, or whatever space monster is living inside the rock I carved my base into.

thekillergreece

Sorry, where does the game takes place? On Space? Or on Earth? Some you say Colony, some space, which 1 of them are on Space...(Sorry for my english)

Yarkista

Quote from: thekillergreece on September 20, 2013, 01:09:50 AM
Sorry, where does the game takes place? On Space? Or on Earth? Some you say Colony, some space, which 1 of them are on Space...(Sorry for my english)

It takes place on an alien planet in outer space.

thekillergreece

Quote from: Yarkista on September 20, 2013, 02:32:56 AM

If it takes place on alien outer space then why there are no aliens o.O, Police would be unfair to arrive there..

Yarkista

Quote from: thekillergreece on September 20, 2013, 04:01:26 AM

If it takes place on alien outer space then why there are no aliens o.O, Police would be unfair to arrive there..

I don't like stupidity....

And yes there will be aliens in the game.

thekillergreece

Quote from: Yarkista on September 20, 2013, 10:34:07 AM
Quote from: thekillergreece on September 20, 2013, 04:01:26 AM

And yes there will be aliens in the game.

Stupidity?If you mean stupidity on police, its not my idea, some threads said that, including the developer saying that as well..

The Ataraxist

Keep in mind the game isnt even in alpha yet.

If there will be an enforcement type of unit to come and save the day, Im sure it will be in a setting that makes sense.

Ogaburan

Quote from: The Ataraxist on September 19, 2013, 07:58:58 PM
Oy! Don't get snappy...
You wern't clear, so I elaborated.

Anyhow, in order to do this right, perhaps Tynan should just HIRE the original artist, yes?

Yes, your right. I was not clear, wrote it in a haste... and i ended up only meaning to say that.
To be more clear... I like the aesthetic design of the people and walls that are very similar to PA.

I was not aware these were direct ports, they dont look like they are to me...
But I dont have any facts or knowledge.

About hiring an "original" artist.
Its a double edge sword for the likes of me... who really like the current aesthetics even if not original.
And might not like the new aesthetics.
All i can do tho, is cast my vote towards keeping the current style. Hoping the dev will choose to do so.

Quote from: Yarkista on September 20, 2013, 10:34:07 AM

Wtf man...? Whats up with the hostilities?
Since when asking questions is a sign of stupidity anyway?

Especially about a game like this, that there isn't allot of info about...
And the info there is, is not exactly centralized.

With such a young forum, even i find it hard to understand what is an outdated discussion and what is not.
You forget not everybody has the time to sit and read through all the threads here... nor followed the development from day 1.

If you think a question insults your superior intellect, leave it to the other... more simple-minded people to answer...