[A16] SeedsPlease! Balance (for Vanilla & Vegetable Garden)

Started by dnks, February 16, 2017, 07:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnks

sorry about the size image, I was too lazy to resize.

What is this mod all about?
    Well to start off, this is just a patch, I liked the seeds mod a lot but found it was unfair here and there, especially when the game constantly uses blight and cold snaps and you run out of seeds, which are super hard to find, cost a lot of money and the extraction bill most of the time set you behind on seeds instead of helping you make your garden bigger. The original mod's intention is to add immersion, this patch adds a little bit of "realism", or at least uses the mechanic of the original mod in a way that it feels like you can grow and scale with time.
    It also adds a new trader, the "GreenHouse Trader" in both Caravan and Orbital Trader form, they sell raw foods for you to cook or extract seeds from, buy seeds and a couple of barn animals.

How did you even reach this super arbitrary numbers?
    I did a little bit of simple math (and arbitrary numbers) to find better values for seeds and extraction rates, you can find the spreadsheet here with all the values.
    If you think the balancing is bad/wrong/could be better, please do leave your suggestions here and I will get to them. If you check the spreadsheet you can see some "Hardcore" values, I am thinking about a harder version at some point, but I don't think it will be necessary.

Requirements
    This mod has some requirements, you must have HugsLib installed (I think it's best to load this one right after core since it's a very popular lib) and then Vegetable Garden, Mod Friendly Overrides (MFO), SeedsPlease! and SeedsPlease! Vegetable Garden Addon and load them in that order before this patch. You can find all three in the original SeedsPlease! thread.

Notes and things you should know beforehand
    • As a general rule of thumb, a little less than the harvest of 3 plants will allow you to extract 4 seeds. That means, if you buy or start off with 3 potato seeds, once you harvest the potatoes there is a chance for seeds to drop, and then the raw potatoes you get will be enough to extract 4 seeds using the workbench, this allows you to grow the number of seeds you have over time and you can actively maintain your seed stock in case your growing zones are affected.
    • It's not necessary, but I recommend getting the Pests mod that changes the blight function into something more manageable.
    • If it gets too hard to micromanage, cheat a little and get PlantSaver for Vegetable Garden (load before seeds and after VG)
    • Flowers need seeds and you can't extract them, which means you have to actively invest to get the beauty improvement.
    • If you are in a map where little wood grows and need wood, I recommend planting Cecropia Trees for starting off and then moving on to Oak or Teak (they take longer to grow but yield a lot more wood per seed).
    • Psychoid, Smokeleaf, Tobacco, Healroot, Aloe and Neutro require seeds just like all the other plants and you can extract seeds as well, meaning that you can run your drug cartel if you wish to.
    • This mod does NOT patch any of the starting scenarios, if you are planning on growing food at the very start of the game, get EDB's Plan Carefully and make sure to get a few seeds (about 10 to 15 seeds of potatoes, rice, corn and some seeds for aloe and healroot are the essentials, tree seeds if you need wood).
    • Yes, this mod will add something else to worry about and make the game harder, if you are looking for easier, don't get any of the seeds mods and continue to let your colonists spawn gigantic plant fields (which will turn into economic growth and money) out of thin air.
    • You don't need to start a new game, but if you save after you've added these mods, you won't be able to play again without them without editing the save and deleting all references to the new things definitions.

Known Bugs

• Users are having errors regarding SeedSmokeleaf and SeedPsychoid, I haven't been able to reproduce the error in order to fix it. It might be related to incompatibility with other mods or mod load order, try to put HugsLib, Vegetable Garden, Override, SeedsPlease, SeedsPleaseVGAddon and SeedsPlease! Rebalance higher up the load list.
    • "Hash collision between YYY and ZZZ: both have short hash ######" this is a known bug, should not cause any real issues and will be maybe fixed in A17

Credits where due!
    I only sat down and fixed a couple of numbers for a few hours, most credits go to notfood for maintaining the SeedsPlease! Mod and giving us the awesome MFO (if anyone out there is planning on making patches, MFO should be your go to tool), and all the people mentioned in the original thread's credits.

Download!
    As an alternative, you can download this pack that contains Vegetable Garden 5.3, FMOverride and all the SeedsPlease files, including this patch. HugsLib is not included.

NOTE: This download is only for those NOT running Vegetable Garden! If you have it, ignore this download link

Compatibility & Patches

Changelog
    [/list]
    • v0.1 - All VG missing seeds were added and the values were updated. Sadly, I had issues with overrides and some errors popped up relating the flower seeds. Errors regarding SeedSmokeleaf and SeedPsychoid appear but can't recreate them.
    • v0.2 - Flowers were removed and most of the overrides were rewritten, some overrides were deleted and a complete rewrite of certain seeds and extraction bills were made. Errors regarding SeedSmokeleaf and SeedPsychoid persist, but can't recreate them.
    • v0.3 - Flowers readded, more bills and seeds were rewritten completely. Errors regarding SeedSmokeleaf and SeedPsychoid persist.
    • v0.3a - A small bug regarding the Rice Plant showed up. It seems like the errors regarding SeedSmokeleaf and eedPsychoid might have to do with mod incompatibility or mod load error.
    • v0.3b - Rice Plant fixed, no news regarding SeedSmokeleaf and SeedPsychoid so far.
    • v0.3c - Trees not dropping wood fixed. Seems like SeedSmokeleaf and SeedPsychoid bug is gone.

ambivalence

Sounds awesome. Especially the new greenhouse trader – we need it so much.

dnks

Quote from: ambivalence on February 16, 2017, 08:11:21 PM
    Sounds awesome. Especially the new greenhouse trader – we need it so much.
    Glad you liked it, if you're gonna test it any time soon, be sure to let me know if the balancing worked out for you!

GideonHidolka

With the load order you suggest i'm getting this.

https://gist.github.com/5942818f823cbe4ceb2342e69f89f94f

http://imgur.com/a/IT28k

Granted it could be a conflict with another mod, but it was not there prior to installing your balance patch and I can not for the life of me figure out the issue.

EDIT: Ignore that log, I assumed it was only going to copy the errors I wanted not the whole log. Ill screenshot it or something.

EDIT EDIT: Posted image link.

In anycase thanks fro making the patch, hopefully I can get this sorted.

dnks

Quote from: GideonHidolka on February 16, 2017, 08:20:53 PM
    With the load order you suggest i'm getting this.

https://gist.github.com/5942818f823cbe4ceb2342e69f89f94f

Granted it could be a conflict with another mod, but it was not there prior to installing your balance patch and I can not for the life of me figure out the issue.

EDIT: Ignore that log, I assumed it was only going to copy the errors I wanted not the whole log. Ill screenshot it or something.

In anycase thanks fro making the patch, hopefully I can get this sorted.

It says here: TraderKinds_Orbital_Misc.xml, if I'm not wrong, that one specific error is not mine because my file is not named that way, I might be wrong, but that name reminds me of Combat Realism for a reason.

And I hate to be right, but yeah, just checked combat realism folder: http://imgur.com/1tTiGZb

This is what the top most of my mod list looks like and I have maybe like 5 mods less than you right now: http://imgur.com/a/QP0KV

EDIT: Aaah, now I see the error in the picture, the definition for the smokeleaf and others is failing for some reason, but that was implemented in SeedPlease! or SeedPleae! VG Addon, I just borrowed the name, try loading it without the patch and let me know

GideonHidolka

Yep loads fine without it. Its not just smoke leaf its a bunch of items but I can peg it down that your patch is fine, its just conflicting with another of my mods somewhere. I just have to figure out which one.

On an unrelated note I don't use combat realism. I've had that trader kinds error forever and never figured out what caused it. Its never seemed to mess anything up though.

GideonHidolka

Oh ambivalence has the same issue so perhaps its not a conflict on my end.

Wish I was more help. I am terribly bad with modding  :-[

dnks

Wow I feel really bad, my game loaded without troubles. I'm checking right now to figure out what the problem is, maybe I did something on the override that's messing with another mod, I doubt it but I'll check.
    Try changing the other of the mods for a bit, just make sure my patch is at the end of the 4.

EDIT: Found the error, will reupload in a minute, sorry guys

GideonHidolka

Don't feel bad its your time that's gone in to it. I'm just a bum that gets to play with the fruits of the talented folks labors

If i figure something out ill let you know though

dnks

The flowers were the ones causing the trouble, I was trying to override something that I had just created or something like that, I will look into it and find a way to fix it in the future.

Please delete the SeedsPlease! Rebalanced folder completely and use this one: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9F0MoDWyq7-MGxBRGlQTGJSVGc

As for the order, I tried several positions. The first one worked and this one worked, I think this one is the safest bet. http://imgur.com/a/JqmbL

GideonHidolka

On mine it seems to have solved some of it but its having issues with smokeleaf seeds and psychoid seeds. It twos errors that continuously repeat. I'm using the order suggested in your image. here is the error log below.

http://imgur.com/a/Fb9ma

ambivalence

SeedPlant gives the same too in my case.

Could not resolve cross-reference: No Verse.ThingDef named SeedPlant found to give to Verse.ThingCountClass (4x null)
    Verse.Log:Error(String)
    Verse.WantedRefForObject:TryResolve(FailMode)
    Verse.CrossRefLoader:ResolveAllWantedCrossReferences(FailMode)
    Verse.XmlLoader:ItemFromXmlFile(String, Boolean)
    RimWorld.PlayerKnowledgeDatabase:ReloadAndRebind()
    Verse.PlayDataLoader:DoPlayLoad()
    Verse.PlayDataLoader:LoadAllPlayData(Boolean)
    Verse.Root:<Start>m__735()
    Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
    Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__733()

upd: v0.3 fixed seedplant, but the other two still persist.

dnks

Quote from: ambivalence on February 16, 2017, 10:07:33 PM
    upd: v0.3 fixed seedplant, but the other two still persist.

Which two? The SeedSmokeleaf and SeedPsychoid error?
    Did you delete the folder completely and then added it from scratch? I updated the order in which the mods are loaded as well, did you also check that?

Codexehow

Thanks! This is much needed.

But I'm also getting a screen full of error messages regarding drugs, mainly.