[1.1] SimpleSidearms (1.4.0)

Started by PeteTimesSix, May 16, 2017, 04:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteTimesSix

This description is currently somewhat outdated.
The features are all there but probably look different or have been expanded upon.

With the invention of pockets comes the idea of bringing EVEN MORE WEAPONS. Because your snipers are getting really tired of getting shanked.

Features include:

• Colonists can carry sidearms in addition to their primary weapon.
  • They pull out their melee sidearms when attacked in melee.
  • They can also be ordered to draw specific sidearms.
  • But don't worry, social fights are unaffected.
  • They draw ranged weapons appropriate to their current distance to their target.

Which can be disabled on an individual basis.
  • They also draw sidearms after using single-shot weapons.
  • To keep that somewhat reasonable, pawns are limited to a fraction of their carrying capacity when it comes to carrying sidearms.
  • ...did I say colonists? I meant everyone.
  • Pawns can get a sidearm along with their primary weapon when their loadout is generated, appropriate to the tech level of said primary weapon. Its cost is limited to one fifth of the minimum cost of their primary weapon.

• Pawns will remember which weapon is their primary and will switch back to it once undrafted. They will also remember which weapons they are missing when forced to drop them. This includes dropping their primary weapon due to being down. Once undrafted or done recovering in the hospital, they will automatically go retrieve them.
  • Don't like any of the above? The mod is highly customisable through its settings menu.

is required.

Can be found at:
GitHub (source)
Steam Workshop

Would be basically impossible without the amazing work of pardeike on the Harmony library.

Should install/uninstall into/from existing games without issue. Will leave the sidearms in pawn's inventories, much like caravans.

Keep in mind it's still bit a jury-rigged mess. Performance issues should be expected.
Mods: SimpleSidearms | QOLTweaksPack
Check them out, feedback and suggestions are welcome.

PeteTimesSix

So basically, recently there was a thread on backup weapons. In it, a certain important someone explains why it's not in the game:
Quote from: Tynan on May 09, 2017, 03:23:39 PM
Micromanagement, mostly.

Both managing inventory, and the fact that now when you order an attack you need to specify what kind of attack.

Then there's the AI side.

It's just a lot of work and player burden for a pretty prosaic little feature.

I respectfully disagree.

Rimrue

Wow. Good job. :)

It seems a bit OP however. Could you make a Lite version with just two slots? Say one ranged and one melee?

ChaosChronicler

The only micro-managing that I want when it comes to side arms is just choosing which this does. what my pawns do with it is up to the A.I

Dragoon

Quote from: Rimrue on May 16, 2017, 04:48:54 PM

It seems a bit OP however. Could you make a Lite version with just two slots? Say one ranged and one melee?

Why limit it to 1 ranged and 1 melee? Why not just 2 slots. (certain characters are so bad that if they have a melee it will be worthless.)
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Dragoon

Also thanks for making this!! I have been waiting for a bit more of combat depth like this. And yes is has depth no more shield and shiv strike, your enemy might have a longsword, after that sniper.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Rimrue

Quote from: Dragoon on May 16, 2017, 05:23:24 PM

Why limit it to 1 ranged and 1 melee? Why not just 2 slots. (certain characters are so bad that if they have a melee it will be worthless.)

I suppose 2 slots wouldn't be too OP. I personally would still use them for ranged/melee, though, as I get tired of mad squirrels scratching out eyeballs because the pawn only has his fists to beat it down. A hunting knife at least gives them a chance to kill the squirrel before it does too much damage!

DariusWolfe

This is excellent, and I will be installing it on my next playthrough.

While I'm perfectly okay with you leaving it as is (because it leaves it free for people to use it as brokenly or as "fairly" as they choose) it makes sense to me that sidearms should only be pistols or melee weapons, maybe grenades.

Rimrue

Quote from: DariusWolfe on May 16, 2017, 05:55:37 PM

While I'm perfectly okay with you leaving it as is (because it leaves it free for people to use it as brokenly or as "fairly" as they choose) it makes sense to me that sidearms should only be pistols or melee weapons, maybe grenades.

I definitely wasn't recommending he change the original mod. I was just requesting a Lite version in addition to it. I would definitely use a Lite version. :)

BlueTressym

Finally!  I was wondering if I was the only person who thought it was silly that if a colonist had a gun, they couldn't also carry a knife - or sword - or spare gun!  Even with a fairly substantial gun, you could still have a knife on your belt.  Not to mention that dual-wielding is, in fact, a thing. 

Viritos

Let's say my hunter has a survival rifle and a knife. If he proceeds to down an animal, will he shoot the animal, or melee the animal?

PeteTimesSix

I've considered adding numerical limits in addition to the weight ones, but I didn't want to further clutter the settings menu. I'll give it some more thought, maybe see if I can have folding categories in the settings or something. You can get similar results by setting the weight limits to low percentages for now.

Quote from: DariusWolfe on May 16, 2017, 05:55:37 PM

Unfortunately the game doesnt have a concept of a "handgun" (far as the definition files are concerned, the pistol is just an unusually light gun) and I didn't want to restrict the mod to only working with vanilla weapons. I am considering adding a static maximum weapon weight, but some of the gun weights in Rimworld are a bit wonky: you have the pistol at 1.2, followed by the machine pistol at 2.5, followed by the pump shotgun, assault rifle, and the incendiary launcher of all things at 3.4... and then the heavy smg (which is what I'd personally liked the cutoff point to be at) at 3.5. I think HugsLib supports adding custom UI for settings, if so I might do something fancy with that.

Quote from: Viritos on May 16, 2017, 11:00:57 PM
Let's say my hunter has a survival rifle and a knife. If he proceeds to down an animal, will he shoot the animal, or melee the animal?
Your hunter, not being a barbarian, will shoot the poor thing as usual. (On a more serious note, pawns only switch to melee when attacked in melee. A downed animal can't attack.)

I'm glad everyone seems to like it so far. I am equally glad that apparently I havent broken any save files yet :)

O Negative

I would like to suggest that you suggest this to be integrated into the core game. A LOT of people would be grateful for it's implementation, and you've already worked your way around Tynan's argument of micromanagement :)

Awesome work!

Razzoriel

This mod looks awesome, but I couldn't for the life of me understand what the customization options do.

Bunkier

Well finally someone made that. Great Job