[1.3] [KV] Path Avoid [ModSync RW]

Started by Kiame, May 29, 2017, 12:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiame

Path Avoid allows you to "nudge" the pathfinding system for your pawns, to make them prefer and avoid different areas. Use it to make your pawns follow pathways in your base, or avoid passing through a freezer to get to the other side! Avoidance won't prevent pawns from pathing, it'll just make them take an alternate path...

Can be added to an existing save.

Steam

Direct Download:

A17
B18
B19

GitHub: https://github.com/KiameV/rimworld-pathavoid

Thanks to everyone who's helped translate this mod!
Ɲơɴɑɱɛ - German
53N4 - Spanish
Tuvka - Russian

Known Issues
Due to the game's current path finding algorithm, on longer routes pawns ignores tile-weights/penalties and will go through trees, rocks, hate/strong, etc. For that reason this mod's ability to help the pawns is diminished.
Until the pathing is fixed, this mod is best used for smaller areas/places where pawns are not going long distances.

Latest Update:
Aug 11, 2017
I've been holding up on updating this mod as the changes will show up in current saves - it won't break them but the pathing will need to be updated.

The root of the problem was: With the new pathfinding in A17 if there are too many squares with 'weight' (only 'preferred did not have 'weight') then the pawn would take a straight path to the locaiton. The number of weighted tiles was 8 so this would happen constantly.

This new version removes "preferred" and now has just noraml->strong.
For those that have manually adjusted the tile weights in Mod Settings I'd recommend defaulting the values out (with the Default button).

For anyone that wants to still use the previous release it's here: https://github.com/KiameV/rimworld-pathavoid/releases/download/20170608/PathAvoid.zip

Like my mods? Consider supporting me!

Original Author: Vendan

Tenshi~Akari

Thanks a lot! Love that this was updated, but on my end, it dealt a massive blow to gameplay/loading performance, where it would take about a minute longer to load a game, and when the game loaded, random pauses/lag. No errors thrown, though, so not sure why this happens.

silentlord

love the idea, but it tanks performance dramatically. stuttering and completely freezing every now and then. as above no errors but the log populated constantly.
had to remove it, because as much as i like this, the gameplay with it is unplayable for me.

Kiame

Was it direct download that you tried that had the lag or the steam version?

The original release I forgot to remove log messages  :-[ which could have created some lag. I've updated the direct download (i may have forgotten to do that last night) and I fixed the steam version last night too. Or did you try today?

In either case some people spoke of lag issues on the steam page too so i am investigating what may be up.

Thanks

killermen962

Just a heads up, if your game is lagging, its the mod, my console just spammed
"Path start"
"Path end"
Or something like that for every action so colonist that were doing many actions like laying floor or building walls, it would freeze my game, upon disabling the mod it stopped the spam and the lag dis-appeared

silentlord

Quote from: Kiame on May 29, 2017, 02:22:32 PM
Was it direct download that you tried that had the lag or the steam version?

The original release I forgot to remove log messages  :-[ which could have created some lag. I've updated the direct download (i may have forgotten to do that last night) and I fixed the steam version last night too. Or did you try today?

In either case some people spoke of lag issues on the steam page too so i am investigating what may be up.

Thanks

i used the direct download afew hours after you created the thread. ill redownload and try again.  gotta start again anyway as some mods have updated and not save-friendly.

Tenshi~Akari

Same w/ the direct download. Personally I don't use steam for various reasons, but will try again when I get back home tonight & see if that does it.  ;)

silentlord

agreed with steam. alot of mods are not uploaded there. plus steam workshop has the most awful layout possible. and no real way to check if one mod is updated or not. awful lay out. i avoid as much as i can. :D

killermen962

Quote from: silentlord on May 30, 2017, 08:55:47 AM
agreed with steam. alot of mods are not uploaded there. plus steam workshop has the most awful layout possible. and no real way to check if one mod is updated or not. awful lay out. i avoid as much as i can. :D

Thats why I still download and not get my official steam key  ;D

silentlord

okay tested the new version. (direct download) not getting any of the lag and spam in the log. i did start a new colony but sofar no issues with performance or lag.

however doing some tests, the pawns avoid the prefer zone! lol

i made a stockpile away from landing area. surrounded the stockpile with strong/red zone. then godmode built a 1 tile zigzag concrete path. then with prefer overlaid the path with blue zone and created second zigzag zone with no path and shorter distance to stockpile.

unpaused and the pawns ignored the paths completely and ran all the way around the giant red zone to the stockpile. choosing to go throught he red zone at short distance at the far side.

even though the no road blue path was shortest.
it made the whole journey 3 times longer.

dunno if using it right but seems weird.

Kiame

Quote from: silentlord on May 30, 2017, 12:53:43 PM
okay tested the new version. (direct download) not getting any of the lag and spam in the log. i did start a new colony but sofar no issues with performance or lag.

however doing some tests, the pawns avoid the prefer zone! lol

i made a stockpile away from landing area. surrounded the stockpile with strong/red zone. then godmode built a 1 tile zigzag concrete path. then with prefer overlaid the path with blue zone and created second zigzag zone with no path and shorter distance to stockpile.

unpaused and the pawns ignored the paths completely and ran all the way around the giant red zone to the stockpile. choosing to go throught he red zone at short distance at the far side.

even though the no road blue path was shortest.
it made the whole journey 3 times longer.

dunno if using it right but seems weird.

Hmm let me play around and see if i can reproduce

Just tested it. Looks like when they're hauling something to a stockpile pawns behave strangely.

Kiame

Updated both steam and direct download version with updated pathing - the paths pawns take when they decide not to take the preferred route should make much more sense.

silentlord

brilliant, thank you very much Kiame.

Tenshi~Akari

Great, working like a charm now. Thanks a lot for the fixes!

Tenshi~Akari

Posting this as a new reply, because I forget, this particular BBS system doesn't seem to register edited posts for thread updates...

As of yesterday... well, it WAS working like a charm for me until the most recent build update. Nothing seems to be registering w/ the pawns that I have certain areas blocked off. Now they're cutting through like it's never been marked off.

To be more precise: In my current save file I've been using before the update, pawns avoided or followed all blocked off areas as they should. After the update w/ the same file, the previously blocked areas from before still worked. HOWEVER, any new areas put up are not registering as an area to avoid/prefer pathing at all... hoping for another quick fix soon enough?