Vault Colony

Started by Seeker89, June 01, 2017, 11:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seeker89

I have been pondering starting a game where I have two colonies, one is my normal base and the other used to store all expensive stuff as a vault. A well fortified, freezing base.

Has anyone done this? does it work?

KillTyrant

What exactly would you be trying to accomplish with this setup?

Seeker89

reduce my main colony's wealth...which will reduce raid size

NinjaDiscoJew

Quote from: Seeker89 on June 02, 2017, 07:07:48 AM
reduce my main colony's wealth...which will reduce raid size

Raids are based on overall colony wealth I believe.

Limdood

no, but they are individual to each colony.

This means if you have an empty vault colony, raiders will come, wreck the place, steal anything not already burning and you'll be left with a husk of a building and a few scraps.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Seeker89 on June 01, 2017, 11:42:50 PM
I have been pondering starting a game where I have two colonies, one is my normal base and the other used to store all expensive stuff as a vault. A well fortified, freezing base.

Fort Knox... Seems like a relatable strategy, maybe a deep mountain base with a kill-box hallway. Shades of Dungeon Keeper.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

ReZpawner

Not sure what you have in mind here. By "freezing", do you mean a -70C base that kills attackers? If so you still have a problem with mechanoids - who are more than happy to lay waste to your base.
You'll also have the problem with obtaining materials for it. Trade is severely limited in arctic conditions, since no caravans will ever arrive, so you're left with the occasional orbital trader.
Then there's the solar flares that will screw over your growing areas, and kill off livestock.

In theory though, if you somehow manage to set up your main base in such a location, you can have the other base as a supply base to it. Send caravans equipped with muffalowool parkas and toques between the two.

I mean, you'll be fairly safe from raiders, but you still have to deal with the mechanoids, and if you're under a mountain - insect infestations unless you keep the entire area either under -20C or spam wires all over everywhere(if that still works).

I had a similar thing going in A16, but without the supply base. http://i.imgur.com/tFym4FO.png - Back then you could break down weapons for their resources, so you could get wood that way, which is no longer possible. With the supplybase it may be a viable solution again though. Let us know how it goes.

Some tips:

Stockpile wood for solar flares. Store them in several small stockpiles around the base so you can quickly build campfires.
You can freeze out insect hives. If you're under a huge infestation that you can't combat - open the doors.
Make sure you have a serious killbox with max range for snipers, so you can take out mechanoid attacks efficiently and safely.
Double or even triple walls, plus airpockets are the way to go.

Canute

And don't forget you want good weapons and appearals for your pawns. You want a beautyful base, comfortable furnitures all this count into the colony wealth too.
Not only the extra silver you maybe store somewhere.

Sure you can try it, build a 5-10layer of stonewalls so that raiders get bored before they come through. And you can access the vault over transport pods. But don't forget when you can land there, pirates can drop their pods there too.

BetaSpectre

I usually keep multiple colonies to gather resources

When it comes to orbital trade it might be worth it to store silver and trade goods. Things you want to sell off orbital wise or have little use in you colony.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO