[A17] Rainbeau's Mods - Bridges, Backstories, Smooth Walls, Terraforming & More!

Started by dburgdorf, May 06, 2017, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DariusWolfe

Quote from: dburgdorf on June 04, 2017, 01:32:18 PM
Smooth Stone Walls has been updated:

- Pawns are once again able to smooth the inside corners of mountain rooms! "And there was much rejoicing."
Yay! I'm rejoicing much!
- Reduced the time it takes to smooth a wall to about 3/4 of what it was before. This should represent a bit of a savings over the time required to mine a tile and then build a new wall, without making smoothing too overpowered.
Unnecessary, IMO, though I'll take it. Even at full time, it still saves a ton of micro; First ensure I have stone bricks on hand, (which, depending on how long it takes to get stable, can take quite some time) then mine the wall, then make sure I get the corners built first, then build the walls, etc.

Even though it takes a goodly while to smooth walls, I'm fine with it just to save my attention for other things; Esp. with the fix above for corners, it's massively convenient to just set a swathe of walls to be smoothed, and move on to other things.

dburgdorf

Basic Bridges has been updated:

- Fish now yield twice as much meat.

- Eels are significantly more common now in marshes, but can still be caught in rivers, lakes and oceans, as well.

- It's no longer possible to add fish to a normal butcher bill, since doing so would yield no meat, anyway.

- Pawns are now somewhat less likely to be bitten while fishing.

- XML defs no longer try to inherit from core abstracts. (It probably wasn't creating any problems, anyway, but it's better this way.)

- Made a few more minor edits to the XML patches.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Quote from: Gelo on June 04, 2017, 08:55:12 PMSo, I've been testing this bug/phenomena for some time and that's what I've found....

I'm not sure what to tell you. I've been testing myself, and I can't reproduce what you're seeing. With short bridges or long, unless the path across the marsh is significantly shorter than the path using a bridge, my pawns seem to much prefer bridges.

I'll keep looking into it, but so far, I have no idea why your pawns seem to prefer getting their feet wet.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Smooth Stone Walls has been updated. XML defs no longer try to inherit from core abstracts. (Not only is this change a good idea, anyway, but it also fixed the "Map Reroll" issue.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

XeoNovaDan

The URL in Fertile Fields' About.xml leads to the A16 version of the mod.

Also, it'd be great if you put the date of the versions of your mods at the top of About.xml, so it's easier to tell if us manual installers are up-to-date. Great mods again though :)

dburgdorf

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on June 07, 2017, 03:09:00 AM
The URL in Fertile Fields' About.xml leads to the A16 version of the mod.

Ugh. I'd forgotten all about those URLs!

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on June 07, 2017, 03:09:00 AMAlso, it'd be great if you put the date of the versions of your mods at the top of About.xml, so it's easier to tell if us manual installers are up-to-date.

And once again, someone has to point out the obvious to me....  :D

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Smooth Stone Walls has been updated, mostly just for better visual compatibility with mods that add embrasures:

- Replaced XML overwrites with patches for better compatibility with other mods.

- Added new embrasure textures consistent with the revised wall graphics, which should automatically be used if another mod in use adds embrasures.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

DariusWolfe

Do you think, with your various coding tweaks and changes, that Smooth Stone Walls will be compatible with Better Vents and Better Coolers, once they're finally updated? When I was trying with the (otherwise mostly functional) outdated versions, it wouldn't allow me to add vents and coolers to smoothed walls; I had to deconstruct the wall, reconstruct the wall, then add the cooler/vent.

dburgdorf

Quote from: DariusWolfe on June 08, 2017, 01:27:34 PMDo you think, with your various coding tweaks and changes, that Smooth Stone Walls will be compatible with Better Vents and Better Coolers, once they're finally updated?

I honestly have no idea, as I don't use and haven't even looked at those mods. But some mods just don't seem to recognize non-vanilla walls as walls, and generally speaking, I don't think there's much I can do about it, as it has more to do with how the other mods are coded than it does with anything in my mod.

But I don't see why it really matters, anyway. Maybe I'm missing something, but is it really that difficult to deconstruct a wall segment before building something else in its spot instead of having the wall deconstructed automatically when the new item is built? Truth be told, I tend to deconstruct walls before building anything to replace them, anyway; I generally don't even check to see if I *can* do it all in one step. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

DariusWolfe

Those mods actually place the vent/cooler INTO the wall, so no deconstruction is needed.

I'll go ahead and drop a line over there; When Skully, or someone willing to help out with his mods, gets around to Coolers/Vents, hopefully they'll be willing to test and tweak.

dburgdorf

Quote from: DariusWolfe on June 08, 2017, 02:00:49 PM
Those mods actually place the vent/cooler INTO the wall, so no deconstruction is needed.

Ah. I assumed they were like vanilla coolers that replace the wall segment.

I'll keep an eye out for updates, then, and see if I can do anything on my end to make sure they work together.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Editable Backstories and Editable Backstories Lite have been updated.

In the base version, all vanilla names are now available to appear in games, as was originally intended. (Previously, some were inadvertently being excluded.) Also, the "Options" menu ability to define preferred names that should be used in games now recognizes player-defined names.

In both versions, the ability has been added to filter backstories based on a pawn's age. This will allow you, for example, to prevent a "revered tribal elder" backstory from being assigned to a 22 year-old.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Awesome updates.

It is really hard keeping up with the mod-downloads this Alpha.

I had a thought about the "Configurable Maps".
Do you have any Influence over the Materials that are used for ruined buildings ?

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

dburgdorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on June 09, 2017, 03:06:21 PMDo you have any Influence over the Materials that are used for ruined buildings ?

That's something I looked at briefly a while back, as I'd thought about limiting ruins to being built with materials actually available on the map. Essentially, the code method that generates the ruins just references a separate method that randomly picks a "stuff" material and builds the ruins out of whatever was picked.

It was more complicated than I wanted to mess with at the time, but as my understanding of the coding, while still amateurish and very limited, is nonetheless better now than it was then, it may be something worth revisiting.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Canute

And why just materials that are at the map ?
Since they are ancient ruins, the creators used all the materials to create them, so there are no more material left on the map.