[A17] Rainbeau's Mods - Bridges, Backstories, Smooth Walls, Terraforming & More!

Started by dburgdorf, May 06, 2017, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rimrue

Oh thanks! I have found it definitely makes playing tribal more enjoyable and less frustrating--especially if you don't want to rush into research. :)

Rimrue

Quote from: dburgdorf on June 21, 2017, 06:29:46 PM
Quote from: Rimrue on June 21, 2017, 06:21:01 PM
Now if only I could figure out how to increase the tribal name database.

I haven't actually looked for it, but the ability to add names to it ought to be something I could easily add to "Editable Backstories."

That would be great. :) I've already got a short list of names I use for my starting colonists as I know I will end up with a ton of Greens, Whites, Troxos, Louses, Laxes, etc. before the game is over. :P

dburgdorf

Configurable Maps has been updated:

- Added a "biodensity" slider to adjust the density of animal and plant life on maps (relative to the base values for the biome).

- Each settings slider now includes a "random" option.

- Larger rivers will now tend to have more deep water, with fewer fordable spots. This is affected by the "water level" setting; rivers on maps with high water levels will be less easily forded than those on maps with low water levels.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

kittyhawk

Would it be possible to offer a 'basic' Basic Bridges that does not include the fishing? Or perhaps make that aspect configurable? (sorry for my ignorance - have no idea if that is even possible or how much work would be involved)

It is the fishy-themed leathers/clothing that is an issue for me. Even if I do not use the fishing spots, the leather & clothing still appear in the game. I like them for a coastal game, but otherwise would like to omit them.

dburgdorf

Quote from: kittyhawk on June 28, 2017, 04:27:31 PMIt is the fishy-themed leathers/clothing that is an issue for me.

As it happens, I'm working on an update right now. (Well, not at this minute, literally, as I'm at work, but you get the idea.) One of the changes I'll be making, as it's already been requested, is to significantly drop the frequency with which squid and eel leather items show up. I assume that will at least partially address your concerns. I hadn't thought about it before now, but offering a configuration option to remove them from traders completely might also be possible, though I don't know that I could completely keep them from generating as equipped items on raider/trader pawns.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Rimrue

Quote from: kittyhawk on June 28, 2017, 04:27:31 PM
Would it be possible to offer a 'basic' Basic Bridges that does not include the fishing? Or perhaps make that aspect configurable? (sorry for my ignorance - have no idea if that is even possible or how much work would be involved)

It is the fishy-themed leathers/clothing that is an issue for me. Even if I do not use the fishing spots, the leather & clothing still appear in the game. I like them for a coastal game, but otherwise would like to omit them.

While waiting on the update I tweaked the XML defs for the eel and squid leather in my game. I think you will find when it is updated that the balance is enough that you won't want the fishing spot removed entirely. :)

kittyhawk

Quote from: dburgdorf on June 28, 2017, 04:40:16 PM
As it happens, I'm working on an update right now.

Great news, thanks!

Quote from: Rimrue
While waiting on the update I tweaked the XML defs for the eel and squid leather in my game. I think you will find when it is updated that the balance is enough that you won't want the fishing spot removed entirely.

Well, I do like fishing so that is very good to hear!

dburgdorf

Quote from: Rimrue on June 28, 2017, 05:00:19 PMWhile waiting on the update I tweaked the XML defs for the eel and squid leather in my game.

So how exactly did you tweak them? Knowing what someone has already done and found to be well balanced would certainly make my life a bit easier. :)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Rimrue

I added <commonality>0.3</commonality> to the <stuffProps>. :)

If you don't add a commonality I believe it defaults to 1 which is the same as cotton. Hence why everything seems to be made of eel and squid skin. Lol

XeoNovaDan

I personally don't think squid leather and eel leather should provide 100% thermal insulation, when looking at the properties of leathers of other animals such as emus, tortoises, and boomrats.

I suggest maybe 70% insulation for squid, and 50% for eel. 100% seems a bit weird in this case, when most animals with 100% insulation have a decent amount of fur - whereas many with ~50% have less or no fur.

Rimrue

You know what's missing from the Rascally Rabbits mod? The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. ;) During summer having one on your map is no big deal. During winter? OMG they are holy terrors. Lol

Eluxor

I have been trying a waterworld scenario with the new map options plus basic bridges, my only problem is that the basic and simple wood briges should be able to be made of metal too, like 'scrap metal'

onerous1

Quote from: dburgdorf on June 27, 2017, 03:19:20 PM
- Added a "biodensity" slider to adjust the density of animal and plant life on maps (relative to the base values for the biome).

I've used the max setting of the biodensity slider on a 275x275 boreal map. I really like the forest density. However there is a complication with mods that add other creatures to the game. I'm using Animal Collab Project on steam and the increased animal population gives me massive slowdowns due to the wildlife. I don't know if that's true with just vanilla. So just a warning that increasing biodiversity can cause slowdowns when combined with mods that add more animals.

dburgdorf

Quote from: onerous1 on July 03, 2017, 08:42:43 AMSo just a warning that increasing biodiversity can cause slowdowns when combined with mods that add more animals.

I was trying to "cut corners," but even as I did it, I knew I'd probably end up needing to change it.  :)

Having animal and plant density shift together makes sense "realistically," since where there's more plant life, there tends to be more animal life, and where there's less of one, there tends to be less of the other. But I really do need to separate them into two separate configuration controls for game purposes, especially since, as you pointed out, if you're using mods that add more animals anyway, increasing the animal density can be very problematic.

So, yeah, that's already on my "to do" list. The next version of "Configurable Maps" will have separate animal and plant density sliders.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Quote from: Eluxor on July 03, 2017, 07:59:03 AMI have been trying a waterworld scenario with the new map options plus basic bridges, my only problem is that the basic and simple wood briges should be able to be made of metal too, like 'scrap metal'

When I first read your comment, I thought you were literally suggesting that the wooden bridges should require metal for their construction, and was wondering why you'd think that.  But then I realized that you were suggesting that I add new metal bridge options. ;)

Metal bridges won't likely show up in the next release, which has been taking longer to finish than I'd hoped it would, but should be out tonight, but I can definitely add them to my "to do" list.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?