[A17 WIP] Scuttlebugs

Started by demeggy, February 25, 2017, 08:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yautja

I'm loving every and each new post you make, specially the one you replied to me! hahaha

And the animals ideia... would make a nice "event", like... if you have more than, lets say, 10 animals under your control, there is a chance to show an event that one(or more) of your animals has been infected, but you have to look in every single of then to find the one and remove it before its too late!
Btw, I agree with 24h being kinda short, specially where the research is on the tech tree, maybe... 72h in 3 different phases?
1 - Incubation (24h, cant detect without cryptcascket)
2 - Increase hunger rate (thats where you start to notice something weird and can single check the colonist and find the parasite, 24h)
3 - Parasite gerated, need more 24h to get out of the host, the colonist now have trouble sleeping and focusing on tasks

And maybe... like insects, make the flesh/meat eatable? Maybe only for animals or for anyone, just a thing to go extra on this, or even take the skin of it to craft dusters, hats, etc, what do you think?

demeggy

Quote from: Yautja on February 28, 2017, 11:23:24 PM
I'm loving every and each new post you make, specially the one you replied to me! hahaha

And the animals ideia... would make a nice "event", like... if you have more than, lets say, 10 animals under your control, there is a chance to show an event that one(or more) of your animals has been infected, but you have to look in every single of then to find the one and remove it before its too late!
Btw, I agree with 24h being kinda short, specially where the research is on the tech tree, maybe... 72h in 3 different phases?
1 - Incubation (24h, cant detect without cryptcascket)
2 - Increase hunger rate (thats where you start to notice something weird and can single check the colonist and find the parasite, 24h)
3 - Parasite gerated, need more 24h to get out of the host, the colonist now have trouble sleeping and focusing on tasks

And maybe... like insects, make the flesh/meat eatable? Maybe only for animals or for anyone, just a thing to go extra on this, or even take the skin of it to craft dusters, hats, etc, what do you think?

The extended period with increasing symptoms is certainly feasible, as hediff's can be easily setup to work in stages. I'll report back once I've got the initial timing issues sorted.

In terms of infecting animals, we'll see how much time I plan on throwing at this post-release!

Yautja

Nice!
Cant wait to see the release and post-release then! hahaha
Waiting for report then! If you need any help with ideas, images, etc, I can try to give a help =)

Dragoon

I was watching the video, and it looks amazing but... there is something that just seems off.

When they hatched, I noticed they just sprinted towards colonist. Which is fine as it was stated in the op, the only problem is why?

Why do they only exist just to infect? I get you wanna stay from xenomorphs, but I just don't get why and how this creature would continue to exist. And more importantly, because it does not eat it should (theoretically) go extinct in no time. Since say it does not get killed first (which would be difficult given its speed) and spreads then what? If it consumes the planet, it is stuck there no food nothing to infect just slowly dying? Xenomorphs, form hives and everything. I'm just not really getting their lifecycle, is all.

I feel like, having more time for it to hatch is good, but what about, it taking some time to reach sexual maturity? Like in a few days it will be old enough to infect you, so you have to hunt them. If you don't then you will be dealing with big infectious worms. I'm not saying having longer incubation time (as many others have suggested)  isn't the answer, but it just feels Less interesting. It just seems like oh well I either put you down or try to race the clock, hoping I can freeze you before it pops, and then just downs my others pawn rather than. I need to place them in a locked room so it can't escape and grow. I know quarantine them, but really if you think about it how? They attack you if you ae lucky and they miss, (you pull back just in time) they will still give chase, and I'm just not seeing a way to kill them, other than putting turrets in your medical bay. You know?
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

demeggy

Quote from: Dragoon on March 02, 2017, 06:59:33 AM
I was watching the video, and it looks amazing but... there is something that just seems off.

When they hatched, I noticed they just sprinted towards colonist. Which is fine as it was stated in the op, the only problem is why?

Why do they only exist just to infect? I get you wanna stay from xenomorphs, but I just don't get why and how this creature would continue to exist. And more importantly, because it does not eat it should (theoretically) go extinct in no time. Since say it does not get killed first (which would be difficult given its speed) and spreads then what? If it consumes the planet, it is stuck there no food nothing to infect just slowly dying? Xenomorphs, form hives and everything. I'm just not really getting their lifecycle, is all.

I feel like, having more time for it to hatch is good, but what about, it taking some time to reach sexual maturity? Like in a few days it will be old enough to infect you, so you have to hunt them. If you don't then you will be dealing with big infectious worms. I'm not saying having longer incubation time (as many others have suggested)  isn't the answer, but it just feels Less interesting. It just seems like oh well I either put you down or try to race the clock, hoping I can freeze you before it pops, and then just downs my others pawn rather than. I need to place them in a locked room so it can't escape and grow. I know quarantine them, but really if you think about it how? They attack you if you ae lucky and they miss, (you pull back just in time) they will still give chase, and I'm just not seeing a way to kill them, other than putting turrets in your medical bay. You know?

Some interesting thoughts there...

Hmm, you doth make a point. The main idea behind this mod was around finding a new way of propagating an infection around a colony, that's where the idea first came from. It then blossomed into the parasite idea.

The core evolutionary feature of the bugs is that they reproduce by hosting inside a human body. If there are no humans to host in, then it's a matter of establishing that with lore in their race Description, so I'll look into that.

Devon_v

Parasites don't generally have an end game. Especially those that can be fatal to their hosts. Lethal viruses for instance, left unchecked, will eventually wipe out every viable host and therefore go extinct. They're essentially degenerate lifeforms that have no long term viability, but they exist.

If someone wanted to do away with a form of life, a lethal parasite which could only reproduce using that life form as a host would be a pretty good way to go about it. Of course Prometheus went and implied that that's exactly what the Xenomorphs were, so headed back to Alien again, but maybe some Glitterworld decided that everyone not able to muster medical skill 10 was literally too dumb to live. Or maybe some Transcendent world decided to send something back out into the 'verse after all.

They could also be a biological weapon that got off its intended battlefield. Something like Autonomous Mobile Swords or Daleks, roaming the galaxy, still killing long after their creators have perished.

demeggy

Quote from: Devon_v on March 06, 2017, 09:04:18 PM
Parasites don't generally have an end game. Especially those that can be fatal to their hosts. Lethal viruses for instance, left unchecked, will eventually wipe out every viable host and therefore go extinct. They're essentially degenerate lifeforms that have no long term viability, but they exist.

If someone wanted to do away with a form of life, a lethal parasite which could only reproduce using that life form as a host would be a pretty good way to go about it. Of course Prometheus went and implied that that's exactly what the Xenomorphs were, so headed back to Alien again, but maybe some Glitterworld decided that everyone not able to muster medical skill 10 was literally too dumb to live. Or maybe some Transcendent world decided to send something back out into the 'verse after all.

They could also be a biological weapon that got off its intended battlefield. Something like Autonomous Mobile Swords or Daleks, roaming the galaxy, still killing long after their creators have perished.

'Daleks'... nice choice of analogy considering I'm working on a Who themed mod in tandem ;)

The bio-weapon was my initial plan with this, but then I felt it was veering too close the Xenomorphs troph... I guess some parallels are unavoidable though eh!

Not much done over the past few days; was away at the weekend, Sun managed to fix a couple of bugs and design-oversights. Not far off a public release (the wife is away this weekend, so I intend on spending much of Saturday before the football working on things).

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Maddog_1977_29

Is this still being worked on have not seen anything since March :/

demeggy

Sorry y'all, this sort of fell over as my long term project elsewhere came back to life. I might look into releasing it as is, but it would need updating to a17b.

Yautja

Quote from: demeggy on June 11, 2017, 11:04:52 AM
Sorry y'all, this sort of fell over as my long term project elsewhere came back to life. I might look into releasing it as is, but it would need updating to a17b.

Relax bro, we all know you have your life! Maybe people just wanted to test it a lil' bit before you stopped hahaha
But I'm happy to know you will try to update for us to use!

demeggy

Quote from: Yautja on June 11, 2017, 04:18:02 PM
Quote from: demeggy on June 11, 2017, 11:04:52 AM

Relax bro, we all know you have your life! Maybe people just wanted to test it a lil' bit before you stopped hahaha
But I'm happy to know you will try to update for us to use!

Ill have a dabble this week, see if I can get it up to a17 standards and then get it released :)

demeggy

Hi mods,

I've now gone public with the beta for this over in the Release forum (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34485.0)

Could you please close this thread? Thanks,

D