[1.1] Prison Labor

Started by Avius, July 16, 2017, 09:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faltonico

As someone just suggested on steam... I'll start using prisoners to load and unload nuclear fuel rods assemblies onto my nuclear reactor! Nice thing OSHA nor Human Rights Watch is not on the Rimworlds.
@AngleWyrm
If a warden is not present, they'll will not get motivated, and eventually stop working, the warden does nothing but watch the prisoners, so If you have a single prisoner it would be best to have your colonist working instead, unless you have some really shitty pawn like sheriffs, they are ideal for that job.

Edit: Scratch that, i was updating all my mods to start a colony for A17 (finally), but i noticed your mod has some incompatibilities with other mods i use and that i consider very important, so i'll wait till you have those sorted out.
Thanks a lot for your work, it is awesome what you have done so far.

Kori

Hello Avius,

when using WorkTab, these jobs you have tweaked appear as duplicates in the sub-categories, so you have 2 identical columns for each of the following:

Quotedeliver food to prisoners
mine
cut plants
harvest crops
sow crops
clean filth

Can this safely be ignored and is it just an aesthetic issue, or do the columns differ from each other in some way?

Avius

Quote from: Kori on September 25, 2017, 01:13:51 PM
Hello Avius,

when using WorkTab, these jobs you have tweaked appear as duplicates in the sub-categories, so you have 2 identical columns for each of the following:

mine
cut plants
harvest crops
sow crops
clean filth

Can this safely be ignored and is it just an aesthetic issue, or do the columns differ from each other in some way?

Sorry for such late reply. Those are tweaks for originals ones.
I think I will just replace them on init, but need to think if that's cause any problems.

Kori

Avius

Quote from: Kori on September 25, 2017, 01:13:51 PM
Hello Avius,

mine
cut plants
harvest crops
sow crops
clean filth

Okay I've managed to came up with neat idea, and I will remove all duplicates in future patch (0.8.7)

Kori

Kori

Today I've noticed that 0.8 is available already and I was blown away when I read the changelog since 0.7! This update is amazing, good work! :)

I also checked your to-do list and there is an entry to add compatibility for Better Workbench Management, but when I'm using both mods together, they seem to work just fine (the Prisoners only-button appears right beneath the new BWM-buttons). Only those small input-buttons you can click to insert values via keyboard are a bit out of place, but that's only a small issue.
Are there any other incompatibilities or problems that could occur when using your mod with BWM?

Avius

Quote from: Kori on October 15, 2017, 05:58:50 PM
Today I've noticed that 0.8 is available already and I was blown away when I read the changelog since 0.7! This update is amazing, good work! :)

I also checked your to-do list and there is an entry to add compatibility for Better Workbench Management, but when I'm using both mods together, they seem to work just fine (the Prisoners only-button appears right beneath the new BWM-buttons). Only those small input-buttons you can click to insert values via keyboard are a bit out of place, but that's only a small issue.
Are there any other incompatibilities or problems that could occur when using your mod with BWM?
Thanks for such nice feedback!

I'm not using BWM mod by myself. I've got report that says BWM is not compatible with Prison Labor. I didn't test it as it currently is scheduled for verification with other minor changes, and unfortunately I do not have time for those at this moment.
When I've got more time I will have deep look into this mod and will be able to say if it is or not.

Kori

Quote from: Avius on October 15, 2017, 06:53:20 PM
Thanks for such nice feedback!

I'm not using BWM mod by myself. I've got report that says BWM is not compatible with Prison Labor. I didn't test it as it currently is scheduled for verification with other minor changes, and unfortunately I do not have time for those at this moment.
When I've got more time I will have deep look into this mod and will be able to say if it is or not.

Yeah when I read about all the new features I was like "omg this is so awesome!" for the whole time and couldn't wait to try it out! :)

About incompatibility reports: when you are referring to the comments on steam that asked for BWM compatibility *I think* they didn't mean that the mod itself is incompatible, but one of its features to select specific colonists for each bill just doesn't support selecting prisoners.
You should try that mod one day, I'd consider it a core mod because it gives you so much more control over crafting!

Kori

Another thing I've noticed is that since the update from 0.7 I'm getting a lot of errors and extreme lag when using the Cleaning Area mod.
Before the update everything was working fine, so I think it is connected to the new prison labor zones.

It's the same error that was reported on github a while ago regarding Cleaning Area.
Is there something I could try to make both mods work again, because I'm in the middle of my playthrough and don't want to ruin my savegame by disabling a mod..  :-\

Avius

Quote from: Kori on October 16, 2017, 02:27:01 PM
Another thing I've noticed is that since the update from 0.7 I'm getting a lot of errors and extreme lag when using the Cleaning Area mod.
Before the update everything was working fine, so I think it is connected to the new prison labor zones.

It's the same error that was reported on github a while ago regarding Cleaning Area.
Is there something I could try to make both mods work again, because I'm in the middle of my playthrough and don't want to ruin my savegame by disabling a mod..  :-\
I need to make a fix for that. Unfortunately I do not have time at this moment.

Kori

Okay, no problem, thank you! :)

Nightinggale

Quote from: Kori on October 16, 2017, 02:27:01 PM

You can go into the work tab and remove cleaning from everybody and save. You can then disable cleaning area and load the savegame and it will work because nobody will be cleaning. I figured that out because I ended up in the same situation as you.

Naturally this reverts cleaning to use the home area, meaning you will get your growth areas and stuff cleaned as well, but at least the savegame can be loaded and continued.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Kori

Quote from: Nightinggale on October 17, 2017, 02:03:41 PM
You can go into the work tab and remove cleaning from everybody and save. You can then disable cleaning area and load the savegame and it will work because nobody will be cleaning. I figured that out because I ended up in the same situation as you.

Naturally this reverts cleaning to use the home area, meaning you will get your growth areas and stuff cleaned as well, but at least the savegame can be loaded and continued.

Thanks, I've already read your message in the Cleaning Area thread, followed these instructions and it works. UI is no longer broken. :)

Nightinggale

I had a problem where I had an ideal colonist to watch the prisoners. However due "will never do social", I added a guard WorkType and then changed watch prisoners job to use the guard category. At first glance, it worked well, but it uncovered a number of problems and I don't think I caused them all with my tiny patchmod.

1: "chat and recruit" recruits with colonists set to chat with prisoners (warden)
2: "work and recruit" recruits with colonists set to watching prisoners
3: I observed a prisoner set (by default) to warden, which tried to recruit another prisoner
4: chat and recruit recruited a prisoner, which when my mod is active turned the prisoner hostile rather than colonist

#1 seems ok. #2 should be watched by people set to watch while recruited by colonists set to chat. #3 should never happen. #4 seems odd that the vanilla recruit code could not recruit because I moved the non-vanilla job to another category.

#4 is "fixed" by not loading my mod, but it really does nothing other than what I wrote. It's extremely small.

Another thing I wondered about was Toolmetrics. It would be interesting to have a guard giving motivation faster if he is holding a whip. However it seems that Prison Labor lacks keywords to hook on to for adding motivation modifiers in xml.

At one time raiders blew up my wall and I had prisoners on the other side. Not the prison bedroom, but a prison grow zone. What happened is not a mass escape, but rather the prisoners ran out of the hole and picked up stuff from the dead raiders and carried it back to the stockpile. Figuring I had uncovered a bug, I didn't rush to repair the wall and just used the prisoners to carry everything back. However eventually prisoners did figure out to escape, but they waited until my colonists were all asleep and even if I drafted them at that time, they would not be able to do anything at all due to being too far away. I don't know if it was by chance or if the escape code is clever, but that was brilliant prisoner AI work/timing  :o

Quote from: Kori on October 17, 2017, 03:40:02 PMThanks, I've already read your message in the Cleaning Area thread, followed these instructions and it works. UI is no longer broken. :)
I figured it might as well be put in both threads.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.