[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akinata

it is fun to have all spells available per magic school since start so we can test everything out. but it might be better gameplay wise to need to unlock spells by leveling up or with special level up scrolls.

Torann

Quote from: Questops on November 26, 2017, 02:03:39 PM
Maybe split the trait into three: Thaumaturge(Master, Strong Master), Wizard(Adept, Skilled Practitioner)  Prestigitator(Novice, Barely heard of it.)

• Have mana pools/successful casts/accuracy depends on the trait that you get on the pawn. Wizard would ideally work just like the current trait does, Thaumaturge could have more mana and some perk for casting, Prestigitator would see a lot of drawbacks to using magic very often perhaps.
  • Maybe a way to grow reagents for producing jury-rigged mana phials (steep cost, 200x Jade, 60x Gold, 40x Plant_Matter) and optionally human flesh(meat, leather)
  • Catalysts like staves, spellcaster's garb/gloves, hand-held orbs or jewelry that increases the potency or success chance of the spell.
  • An altar furniture piece that would ideally fit in a laboratory or workshop for your wizards to passively, but at a very low rate, increase their experience in their field of magic and regain some mana by studying ancient scripts or another modded lore item.

I like the idea of skill variation, it was a part of the original design, but never really got implemented because I've struggled with a good way to put it in.  Right now everything, except the initial buffs, has a 100% success rate.  Do you envision the tiered traits originating from the same base trait? (probably too easy to save/load to get what you want?)  Or maybe several base traits that would advance to a respective full mage trait?

It's probably too far outside the scope to make multiple tiers of mages for each skill line, ie master fire mage, adept fire mage, novice fire mage, especially if it varies the spell behavior.  This has a way to blow up real quickly...
It might be in the realm of possible to make several global skills available to different trait levels, and/or some of the spells only available to higher tiers.  Alternatively, I could introduce a spell success chance across all spells that could cause the spell to fizzle or, less likely, backfire.  This could be tied to a global skill that would reduce the chance for spell failure.

As far as catalysts - I think if I did this, it would be a lot like the "infused" mod, that adds a unique property to items, instead of being a new item itself.  Thoughts?

I'll consider something like an arcane study/altar/lab etc.  I think this would include added functionality for jobdrivers, thoughts, etc in the game to allow a pawn to 'use' the furniture, not really familiar with those modules so not quite sure what the overhead would be.

Appreciate the feedback!

Torann

*New Update: B18_v1.1**

Stamina based fighter functionality is fully implemented.  This allows the mod to support a wider variety of classes.  Stamina users are able to execute their skills quickly, more frequently, and will regain stamina more rapidly.  However, the overall effectiveness of their skills is intended to be comparatively less than a magic user. 

The Gladiator class takes the spot as the first class to use stamina and has a variety of skills that will enhance melee combat; see the main post for gladiator skill details.

Let me know any idea's for melee classes or skills you'd like to see!

For the time being, I'll be transitioning to adding global utility spells, support spells, master spells and master spell quest lines.  By "global," I mean that these spells will be learn-able by a mage and will add to the spells learned by default.  Some will be unique to specific class lines, others will be available to all class lines.

Heymom

Interesting mod, but with a large colony and multiple "mages". Its hard to micro manage, any chance we will see a auto combat? Using the spells like it was a normal equipped weapon. Perhaps with a "do not use" setting etc.

regards.

EligibleFoot

Hey I've noticed with the newest version that when I load into my colony all of the points I have put into my mages are not there anymore. The highest lvl is 8 and he has 4 points spent and 2 remaining. One of them I'm 100% sure that I used up all of their points before I went to bed last night and now he doesn't have any points or points spent. I'm not getting any errors or anything.

megidoladyne

With the newest version, I received the Divine Script: Paladin scroll as a reward for a quest. Haven't used it yet but it has -1/1000 hitpoints and wasn't left outside to deteriorate or anything. It's also sellable for $0.01. Is this a glitch or something?

Questops

Quote from: Torann on November 26, 2017, 09:57:29 PM

I like the idea of skill variation, it was a part of the original design, but never really got implemented because I've struggled with a good way to put it in.  Right now everything, except the initial buffs, has a 100% success rate.  Do you envision the tiered traits originating from the same base trait? (probably too easy to save/load to get what you want?)  Or maybe several base traits that would advance to a respective full mage trait?

Originally I meant it to be a static point, like a limitation of one's skills that can't be expanded upon but I've been playing around with a lot of JecsTools mods and found a really nice implement of this design in the Force-Sensitivity mod. Basically it tiers up from any starting point and as you gain experience it changes the trait in relativity to your ability to use the force (or in this case, magic)

This happens in the trait order of Force Sensitive(Trees to Sith, Gray or Jedi, for your mod I'm particularly interested in seeing this utilized in terms of Pyromancer, Cryomancer, Clergy/Priest and so-on)

Then you could separate the Trees into the original ranks or inspire your own flavor.

So maybe your base (Able to use magic) trait could be along the lines of "Gifted"

Then you dedicate a trait to the idea of "This person knows 2 Ice spells but this is vastly overshadowed by the fact he knows 6 Fire spells, so he's a pyromancer primarily, but if he learned 5 more Ice spells that could change him to a Cryomancer"

Rank the traits: Prestigitator (1+ point in two or more skills equally, equilibrium class) Wizard (4+ points in two or more skills equally, equilibrium class) then you start banking point over 6+ into certain trees and see new traits form(-mancers stated above) and finally once you've learned all of the skills in one tree you become Master (Pyro/Cryo/Terra)-mancer, for example.

If you plan on letting all the spells be known by a single pawn then you could incorporate an Arch-Mage trait that basically means "I know as much magic as humanly possible."

QuoteIt's probably too far outside the scope to make multiple tiers of mages for each skill line, ie master fire mage, adept fire mage, novice fire mage, especially if it varies the spell behavior.  This has a way to blow up real quickly...
It might be in the realm of possible to make several global skills available to different trait levels, and/or some of the spells only available to higher tiers.  Alternatively, I could introduce a spell success chance across all spells that could cause the spell to fizzle or, less likely, backfire.  This could be tied to a global skill that would reduce the chance for spell failure.

You could even shelf the bonuses of each trait and just have it as an indicator class or flavor text for the user without affecting the abilities of spells and just have that inborn in the mod itself (85% chance of a successful tornado etc, 15% chance it fizzles out and uses half of the dedicated mana required to cast it and maybe add a cooldown)

"Wow my wizard turned into a clergyman, must be because of the healing spells I've been specializing into him."

QuoteAs far as catalysts - I think if I did this, it would be a lot like the "infused" mod, that adds a unique property to items, instead of being a new item itself.  Thoughts?

That's more like it, actually. Maybe just for the sake of the theme later on down the line add Quarterstaves that do roughly the blunt damage of clubs or a spellblade that closely resembles the vanilla stats of the new Ikwa melee?

If you're keen to it you could give pawns that are gifted+ a thoughtdef for wielding an infused weapon:
Powerful- "My <weapon> is letting off pulses of arcana, I feel like I could take a kingdom." +6 to mood
You know, in your own design, something to play around with until more suggestions come in to flesh this out the way you imagine it.

QuoteI'll consider something like an arcane study/altar/lab etc.  I think this would include added functionality for jobdrivers, thoughts, etc in the game to allow a pawn to 'use' the furniture, not really familiar with those modules so not quite sure what the overhead would be.

Time to go knocking down modder's doors. Particularly Jecrell's! He has something similarly applied in his Cults mod for the altar and the forbidden research bench.

Torann

Quote from: EligibleFoot on November 28, 2017, 04:04:15 PM
Hey I've noticed with the newest version that when I load into my colony all of the points I have put into my mages are not there anymore. The highest lvl is 8 and he has 4 points spent and 2 remaining. One of them I'm 100% sure that I used up all of their points before I went to bed last night and now he doesn't have any points or points spent. I'm not getting any errors or anything.

I put out a hotfix for this on steam workshop last night and just updated moddb.  The way data sources were being managed changed and I had to adjust this mod to match.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  You should be able to load, but you'll have all mages (gladiator unaffected) reset to 0 for all levels/skills/powers so you'll need to use the dev tools and god mode then access the magic tab to return the missing levels/points.

Torann

Quote from: megidoladyne on November 28, 2017, 05:13:08 PM
With the newest version, I received the Divine Script: Paladin scroll as a reward for a quest. Haven't used it yet but it has -1/1000 hitpoints and wasn't left outside to deteriorate or anything. It's also sellable for $0.01. Is this a glitch or something?

Was this the caravan quest or item stash quest?  That's a glitch, I think it has to do with the game logic restricting total amount of value returned in a quest and the books are worth roughly 10000 silver.   I never saw it occur in the caravan quest, but noticed it once or twice in the item stash quest and thought I'd fixed it there.

megidoladyne

It was a caravan quest. :-\ Any other info I could give to help out?

Torann

Found the issue and it'll be fixed in the next update.  Thanks for the feedback.

EligibleFoot

QuoteI put out a hotfix for this on steam workshop last night and just updated moddb.  The way data sources were being managed changed and I had to adjust this mod to match.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  You should be able to load, but you'll have all mages (gladiator unaffected) reset to 0 for all levels/skills/powers so you'll need to use the dev tools and god mode then access the magic tab to return the missing levels/points.

Thank you for the quick response! I reloaded my game and it worked. Thanks a ton loving your mod.

*EDIT* I just found another issue. I used the arcane teleportation to rescue one my colonists who lost his arm while traveling. Loading the teleporter worked fine but once the drop pod landed at its destination it did not open.

Torann

The behavior of the teleport pod and drop pod are pretty much identical. 

I couldn't reproduce the issue either, with or without several mods I thought might cause a conflict (long range pods, reusable pods, set-up camp).  Does this happen every time?  Do you get any error logs?

Questops

Cannot draw radius ring of radius 80: not enough squares in the precalculated list.
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.GenDraw:DrawRadiusRing(IntVec3, Single)
AbilityUser.HarmonyPatches:TargeterUpdate_PostFix(Targeter)
RimWorld.Targeter:TargeterUpdate_Patch1(Object)
RimWorld.MapInterface:MapInterfaceUpdate()
RimWorld.UIRoot_Play:UIRootUpdate()
Verse.Root:Update_Patch1(Object)
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

When selecting Soothing Breeze I get this error. It's harmless.

Roolo

Quote from: Torann on November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM
Known Bugs:
When using the "run & gun" mod, ability users will freeze indefinitely with a job order to cast a spell

Very nice mod Torann. I´m the author of RunAndGun. Could you please tell me when this happens specifically? I just tested your mod briefly in combination with my mod by throwing some fireballs with RunAndGun enabled and I didn't get this issue. Any info would be appreciated, and will help me upload a compatibility fix.