Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anrock

Also, fire extinguishers allowing to put fires off faster and multiple tiles in a cone simultaneously. Just a moment ago boomrat exploded and my solar panel caught fire - colonists were able to extinguish only tiles that was on outer sides of solar panel, but inner tiles are inextinguishable because colonists can't reach them, that kinda sucks.

ValsNoisyToys

Quote from: Xanting on April 18, 2014, 12:58:03 AM
Alpha 3 seems to have removed the ability to sort colonists bodies from raider bodies and is now under a new nebulous category of human bodies. A subsection under human bodes that separates colonist bodies from other human bodies would be nice to have back especially for graves.

Also weapon racks would be much less frustrating to use then they are currently if there was a way to select or deselect all the guns they accept. Right now you have to deselect all the weapons you don't want to have on a weapon rack to have it hold only a specific weapon, which for one rack is no big deal for for about a dozen of them it gets tiring clicking though all of the check boxes.

I would like to endorse both of these ideas, as well as add one of my own re weapon racks:
Allow us to select more than one weapon rack, and set what is or isn't to be accepted as a group. Quicker than doing each one individually.

Hm one more:
If the incinerator could be set to exclude colonist bodies, that would allow us to bury our colonists in respectable graves and incinerate the asshats who attack us (and fail). :P

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Anrock on June 07, 2014, 04:32:23 PM
Also, fire extinguishers allowing to put fires off faster and multiple tiles in a cone simultaneously. Just a moment ago boomrat exploded and my solar panel caught fire - colonists were able to extinguish only tiles that was on outer sides of solar panel, but inner tiles are inextinguishable because colonists can't reach them, that kinda sucks.

That is a long-standing bug
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

omittimo

I'm really missing a Priority system for crafting Tables. I have some trouble to organize my colonist which crafting work should get done first. You could just adopt it from the stockpiles.  :)

UrbanBourbon

Quote from: omittimo on June 08, 2014, 04:50:23 AM
I'm really missing a Priority system for crafting Tables. I have some trouble to organize my colonist which crafting work should get done first. You could just adopt it from the stockpiles.  :)
But... there IS a priority system. The bills on the top of the list get done first. If that's not enough, then build multiple crafting tables. The only thing that's really missing is a hotkey for 'suspend' for crafting tables... or maybe 'forbid' could do just that? o_O

omittimo

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on June 09, 2014, 08:51:34 AM
Quote from: omittimo on June 08, 2014, 04:50:23 AM
But... there IS a priority system. The bills on the top of the list get done first. If that's not enough, then build multiple crafting tables. The only thing that's really missing is a hotkey for 'suspend' for crafting tables... or maybe 'forbid' could do just that? o_O

Sure, but this is within one Crafting Table. I meant a priority System for the whole Crafting-table Class. My crafter knows which one got the highest priority and does this crafting-work first.

zipszip

Since the game lacks a definitive end beyond the pointless loss of a colony, I would suggest a Hi-Score system. Every play through I go try and make a colony work only to have it die and waste my time. A Hi-Score system though could be used to record certain stats like the highest colony wealth, raid numbers, etc but you wouldnt have to load your save game in order to view it. This way you know how you stack up with each play through. Did I get better? Worse? Did I waste my time with strategy A or did I simply get unlucky?

I think it should be pretty easy to implement since you already have a stats tab in-game... I guess you just put one on the menu or something.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: zipszip on June 09, 2014, 03:44:42 PM
Since the game lacks a definitive end beyond the pointless loss of a colony, I would suggest a Hi-Score system. Every play through I go try and make a colony work only to have it die and waste my time. A Hi-Score system though could be used to record certain stats like the highest colony wealth, raid numbers, etc but you wouldnt have to load your save game in order to view it. This way you know how you stack up with each play through. Did I get better? Worse? Did I waste my time with strategy A or did I simply get unlucky?

I think it should be pretty easy to implement since you already have a stats tab in-game... I guess you just put one on the menu or something.

Its not a waste of time, its fun, its all about the story.. ever played dwarf fortress?
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Pulaskimask

I think the rain, just like the music, should not speed up when playing at higher speeds. Currently at higher speeds the rain goes so fast that you can't even see it. Playing at fast speeds shouldn't feel like fast-forwarding a movie.

MuscularTeeth

I just bought this game - so impressed.
Anyway, here is a cheap time-light thing to add; more traits as descriptors for your various human characters.
Some you might one day adding attribute point loss/addition but otherwise just more random descriptions of the characters that are generated.

slightly Nervous
Very Nervous
Cold Hands
Blue Eyes
Brown Eyes
Hazel Eyes
Deep Voices
Hairy Chested
Long Nosed
Toothless
Missing a tooth
Hobbles
Webbed feet
Dribbles
Drunk
Lazy Eye
Light footed
Burly
Bad Mouthed
Bucktoothed
Gap toothed
Swollen Lips
Black eye
Scarred
Pockmarked
Ear missing
Both ears missing
Bearded
Long Mousached
Barrel chested
Sunken chested
Wheezy
Dry Cough
Handsome
Tall
Short
Fat
Skinny
One leg longer than the other
Long beard
Ragged clothes
No shoes
Burn scars
Missing eye
Missing finger
Missing hand
Greasy hair
Sickly
Healthy
Ugly
Lanky
Wired
High
Drunk
Calm
Agitated
Thin
Very clean
Very dirty
Hunchbacked
Missing fingernails
whip marks
Branded
tattooed
tattoo on face
tattoo on arm
tattoo on arms
tattoo on chest
ritual scarifaction
Charming
Intimidating
Rash
missing toes
Goatee
shaved head
dressed like a monk
very pale
perfect teeth
high pitch voice
twitch above eye
smokers cough
unsteady on feet
covered in lice
covered in sand
muddy
deaf in one ear
long fingers
long fingernails
nervous tic
bushy eyebrows
no eyebrows
short nose
piggy eyes
stiches in shoulder
bruised
bloodshot eyes
wary
quiet
loud
brash
eye-patch
enormous hands
stubby fingers
hairy legs
yellow eyes
unhealthy skin
smells
wears lots of string
wears glasses
wears a red hat
gold tooth
false wooden teeth
earring
earrings
nose piercings
beads around neck
trinket around neck
shells around wrist
wears a necktie
wears a broken wristwatch
no shoelaces on one shoe
pants are torn at knees
likes to laugh
coldsore
broken teeth
wheezy
twigs in hair
bad breath
perfumed
painted fingernails
balding
bald
shaved head
long hair
broken fingernails
assertive
angry
naturally timid
desperate
not quite sane
giggles
drools
big ears
small ears
cauliflower ears
pierced ears
untidy
stinks
wears broken sandals
wears a scarf
wears a jacket with bulletholes
tiny chin
hollow cheeks
oily hair
greasy skin
wrinkled
sagging skin
large lips
thin lips
scar over shoulder
bite marks on cheek
bite marks
bite marks on fingers
thirsty
long eyelashes
knobbly knees
square chin
tribal marks
grey hair
white hair
red nose
veiny
broken blood vessels in cheeks
long legs
gassy
dreadlocks
Hare-lip
Blue eyes
High cheekbones
Pony tail
Murderous look
Blue war-paint
Grass reed necklace
Scratches on face
Always sneezing
Hacking Cough
Stutters

regards MuscularTeeth
ps im an artist so will be looking on how to make new textures for people to use too.

mispy

The RimWorld modding system is already fantastic, but there are some tweaks that would make it even more powerful.

Since C# is not a language that permits monkey patching, the most helpful change would be to mark more methods as virtual and more variables as public. I had to do a pretty hacky thing here to get around the fact that the Drafter class can't be overridden: https://github.com/mispy/Mechatronics/blob/master/Source/Mecha_Pawn.cs#L83

Of course, there's a bit of a tradeoff there between availability to modders and maintaining good structure of the game code. It's also possible there's another way to achieve the same thing that I'm unaware of.

Also, for the sake of mod compatibility, it'd be nice if recipes attached themselves to buildings rather than having buildings list their recipes. This would prevent conflicts between two mods that add recipes to the same building. For example, instead of:

<ThingDef ParentName="BuildingBase">
    <DefName>TableMachining</DefName>
    <recipes>
      <li>ButcherCorpseMechanoid</li>
    </recipes>
  </ThingDef>

Use:

<RecipeDef>
    <defName>ButcherCorpseMechanoid</defName>
    <buildings>
      <li>TableMachining</li>
    </buildings>
  </RecipeDef>

Though again there may be a better way to achieve the same thing.

Psyckosama

How about the ability to lock and unlock doors to control traffic and if need be, keep the damned colonists from running out into a enemy ambush inorder to sweep the walk?

Pirx Danford

Either remove the message "table needs chairs", or add another table shaped furniture to place meals on, or add the option to zones that pawns are not allowed to move over them. The last suggestion I like the most as this could be very well used for "traffic shaping" :-)

Battlemage15

Refrigerators - Anyone else notice meals don't stack?  You also notice they spoil?  They take up a lot of space, don't they?  How about a simple 1x1 refrigerator that can store up to 10 meals of the same kind?  They are built out of metal, use power and look (and work) like a hopper.  You can see the kind of meal and the x1 - x10 on it, knowing how much it holds.  Meals in a refrigerator spoil at 1/4 speed unless it loses power (in which case, they spoil at full speed).  This would make meal stockpiling a lot more practical.

Wood Chairs and 1x1 Tables - I think these are pretty self explanatory.  Call the 1x1 table a desk.

Outdoor Lights - Something that fits in a 1x1 area that casts light, but does not short out in the rain.  Color versions exist once you research colored lights.

HeadWar

Quote from: Anrock on June 07, 2014, 01:24:13 PM
Option to make colonists paths visible even when they are not selected.
(by "path" i mean that white line that shows where colonist is going when he is selected).
Further improvements:
- Overhead bubble with pictogram showing what colonist is going to do. Like ".zZ" - going to bed, fork and knive - going to eat, hammer - building something etc. Also, happy\sad thoughts or reactions like "hungry", "seen corpse".
- Show item that colonist is hauling. Could be implemented like small size sprite of carried item near hands.

These would be really useful, but personally I wouldn't want to see them all the time (even if it's optional).

I suggest that when you hold for example Alt, it shows paths and current task bubbles for all colonists.

Thought bubbles could pop up as they occur, and fade after a few seconds. (The Rims.)

Edit: Hauled items already show up.