How to get your Steam Key

Started by milon, July 15, 2016, 02:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calahan

@ Drorckan - Yes, if you buy the DRM-free version, you can then register it on Steam for free, and that Steam version is exactly the same as it would be if you bought the game from Steam. So:

Buy from Steam = Steam version only.
Buy directly from Ludeon website = Steam version and DRM-free version, plus some other benefits as well. Which I'll leave Tynan (the developer) explain: https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/10/steam-keys-available-for-ongoing-purchases/

Drorckan

Ok Calahan !

Thanks for your help and good game !

Thomas

Hello,

i bought back in 2014 the Name-in-Game version but only get a normal version on steam. How do i get my Name-in-Game key for steam?

MfG

Thomas

Calahan

@ Thomas - There are no Steam keys for the Name in Game pack. The Name in Game DLC isn't really DLC as there's nothing to download. But Steam doesn't offer any way for developers to offer kickstarter / bonus rewards to players, so developers have to make do with the tools available. Which is DLC. And there was significant demand from players wanting to purchase the Creative Content Rewards that Tynan made them available on Steam in the form of DLC (although the Backstory and Pirate King packs have since been discontinued).

Is your Name in Game character in the game at the moment? You can check for it via the in-game options menu with the "Add name..." option. If not then please check the pinned thread in the Creative Rewards forum for details on how to log into your Creative Reward account and create it.

calmatt

Bought the game directly from Ludeon studios to help them get more of the profit. Followed the directions to obtain my steam key. Actually received a reply from support an hour after my first email was sent in, yet a day later I still have no Rimworld copy in my steam library.

Just seems silly.

nccvoyager

From a technical standpoint, there isn't really a "key" given to you now.
Instead, a third-party service redeems a "key" to the Steam account you log in to, and then choose to link. (Or are already logged in to and choose to link.)

The change from a key system to a third party redemption system was made due to a(n extremely) large number of scams that were committed with the initial Steam key system.

Vonholtz

Hello I bought the Rimworld in 2014 from SendOwl downloads On behalf of Ludeon Studios. I tryed to get my copy on steam using the link on the first page of this post. i get the confirmation email followed it to the link on steam signed in and then got a error "Incorrect login". I am on sure if this is trouble on steams end or yours. I am not great with PC to know can i get any help on this mater. I was logged in to my steam account so not sure why it not working.

Calahan

@ Vonholtz - If you are still having problems activating your game on Steam then please email Ludeon support [email protected] , explaining your problem.

Vonholtz

@Calahan Thank you I got it sorted out. It seem steam was not taking the link from Rimworld after I sign in. Sign in to steam first and it worked. All good off to play.  ;D

Calahan

Good to hear you managed to sort it out. And thanks for posting with a follow-up to let us know.

Adsixnine

Majamas

Hello, i buyed game from automated auction. Price was around 30$. But i cant get steam registration code. Only i have downloaded game. Download link come from GSB Distribution page. When i found this topic i have bad feelings. Possible i buyed pirated version and there will be no updates for me?

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Majamas on June 03, 2018, 12:12:32 PM
Hello, i buyed game from automated auction. Price was around 30$. But i cant get steam registration code. Only i have downloaded game. Download link come from GSB Distribution page. When i found this topic i have bad feelings. Possible i buyed pirated version and there will be no updates for me?

As far as I know, the *only* places that sell it legit are here on this site and Steam. Anywhere else is likely a pirated copy.

Majamas

Yes, it was scam. I buyed illegal version :(
Reason is lack of credit card and looking for another payments method.
I can play on it but i feel angry when thinking about it.
I plan buy this game again in future, original version only.

zthemaster

ok so I came across the game through a friend but they just gave me a flash drive with the game on it. btw the games great! but now the beta has come out on steam and I don't want to break the law anymore with this illegal copy. what do I do from here?