The Next Patch Will Be 1.0 (from reddit)

Started by Seeker89, January 16, 2018, 06:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Nameless on January 17, 2018, 09:46:29 AM
To me coming out from beta to 1.0 is just the beginning of the game.

This right here! Hooray for 1.0! ;D ;D ;D

Dashthechinchilla

Dear Tynan,
I would totally buy Rimworld DLC and expansion packs.
Sincerely,
A huge fan

Cloud Breaker

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 16, 2018, 12:17:31 PM
I think way too many people are getting upset about the 1.0 thing. But honestly, could you really blame them? Ever since this whole early access shenanigans started getting really popular so many years ago, a lot of people have been burned by a LOT of different developers very bad. They might have donated $200+ or something because of how much they believed in a dev's vision for a game, maybe even been one of the founding backers. And then slowly, sometimes over the course of a few years, they watch this ultimate dream game fantasy they had in their head get slowly twisted and contrived into something they never imagined nor wanted. And that's if the dev even remains active and doesn't abandon a project half way or 3/4 done with it. Or sometimes a game's development might have seemed like it was coming along just fine and there were no issues, but the game might only be half way done, and the publisher starts breathing down the neck of the developer and they have to slap a 1.0 on the game when it definitely wasn't ready.

You guys need to have more faith in Tynan though. He doesn't have to answer to anyone but himself and the players. There is no corporate bullshit going on behind the scenes. I also believe, that deep down, most people would agree that this game IS essentially finished. As in, it is feature complete, with a good amount of content, and everything works. Just because it doesnt have XYZ feature or content might be a little lacking in some parts (one level of turret Tynan?! ONE?! Give us a light and heavy or something, dammit! Bring back the old double barreled texture for the better one!) Let's also remember that we are so lucky that Ludeon helps mod developers by making things easier for them. This is such a great benefit for everyone, as we are blessed with hundreds of great mods to choose from giving us literally hundreds of extra hours of content.

Look at what the man said, he has to make sure the game is okay for everyone. He cannot let power users dictate the game, just as he cannot let casual users either. The game is pretty much complete, and we know it. He has been working on it for what now, more than 1722 days? I think it is acceptable for him to say "this is finished, and can stand on it's own two feet. That doesn't mean I will not continue to work on it in the future." I'm pretty sure that anyone who had worked on a project for this hard for so long would be about ready to slap the golden 1.0 on it as well!

I've also got more faith in Tynan & comapny than I would ever have for just about any developer that has to answer to a publisher. He has done things right, to where he can make the kind of game that he knows will be fucking awesome and he won't have to make any major compromises because of some corporate BS. I think we can give the man some faith and not get our panties into a bunch over all of this. In my opinion, looking at RimWorld's development cycle and everything of how it came along, this is actually a dream scenario for any backer of early access projects. You don't want a game you have already purchased to get stuck in development hell, and you also don't want it rushed out broken or incomplete. You are going to want it done just the way RimWorld was. Tynan has lead everyone this far, I'm sure that he won't let everyone down now.

Ive been lurking here for years and following steam forums since Rimworld showed up on that platform and I have to say I created an account here just so I could support this post.  Watching this game progress has been one of the greatest joys Ive had in gaming.  Tynan and his vision for Rimworld is as pure as you can get something that you dont make for yourself and hide from everyone.  Id like to thank him and the community for providing me with thousands of hours of gaming, reading and actually using my brain and imagination again.  Ive learned life lessons from Rimworld, I think in Rimworld Mechanics. 

1.0?  At this point I dont need some kind of arbitrary number after the game.  I really feel like Ive gotten it all here and everything that comes out from this point on is just a fantastic bonus. 

Crow_T

"Some of these controls create zones, which can be selected, created infinitely, must be contiguous, etc. E.g. Growing zones, stockpiles zones."

I ask that the devs take a serious look at JTZoneButtons, it's simple and logical, and saves a lot of mouse travel. Won't you think of the old ladies playing this game! ;)

Other than that, hooray on the solid 1.0 milestone, IMO it's a good thing mentally to get past that point finally.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Crow_T on January 17, 2018, 05:12:49 PM
"Some of these controls create zones, which can be selected, created infinitely, must be contiguous, etc. E.g. Growing zones, stockpiles zones."

I ask that the devs take a serious look at JTZoneButtons, it's simple and logical, and saves a lot of mouse travel. Won't you think of the old ladies playing this game! ;)

Oh my GOSH YES! That and Show Me Where are two HUGE QoL improvements I think would be perfect for Vanilla, along with Heat Map. JTZoneButtons allow you to expand/retract a zone without having to select it first, then architect, then grow zone/delete zone. Show Me Where shoes an overlay of fertility zones over the whole map. I remember thinking how silly it was while trying to build a grow zone over fertile soil, and having to look at the bottom left of the screen to see fertility, AND THEN trying remember that same square, because I then have to go back to architect, and grow zone again, because the architect screen covers the part that shows fertility %, so you can't even have them both open at the same time. And oh God, then don't forget the headache of having to select the growzone beforehand, so that you can then try to add 1 cell to it of fertile soil that you hopefully have remembered which one it was!

Vlad0mi3r

"Good news everyone."

So glad to hear that the final spit and polish will be added and then released. RimWorld is just a fantastic game and I am sure the modding community will keep us all happy with those special things we like to have.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

JuanEnrique

Man..... IMO..... Rimworld is one of the best games ever made!

Its been a BLAST to be part of "the making of" process
its been a BLAST watch this game "grow"
its been a BLAST waiting for new patches with new content to come out

This is Tynan´s baby, this is his (an his teams) project. we cant have ALL our wishes come true in terms of features (i always wanted something like smoke leaf in the game and got it :D )

And in the future, youll probably get any feature you wanted, in the form of a mod or something.

Excellent work, excellent game.
cant wait for that 1.0 polish update <3

Sharajat

For this game, 1.0 is where the game BEGINS. 

Once we hit 1.0, modders aren't going to have to worry as much about huge, sweeping changes invalidating their work.  Mods like Psychology or the Hardcore SK pack get wrecked by version changes. 

With us already seeing things that complex, even with the version changes invalidating huge sections of code, what will happen without that?  Vehicles?  Entire conversion mods?  Who knows?

gipothegip

Quote from: skullywag on January 17, 2018, 08:44:29 AM
Also keep in mind, the constant never ending moving target of alpha releases for modders, once we are at 1.0 and very little changes in the internal APIs etc modding will explode I reckon, Its already mental how much modding happens, I imagine it to get more mental.

That's one thing I'm looking forward to, I might get into modding this game myself.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

corestandeven

Nothing against this being 1.0, or the project being slowly wound down if Tynan wants to - as he says 5 years is a long time for development - but what i am getting a little peeved at is why this announcement, and others, are always on Reddit? Apart from a regular user finding the post and kindly copying it into this forum what is Tynan's aversion to communicating news on his own forum (or https://ludeon.com/blog/)? Surely his own forum should be the first place to break news and request thoughts from the community, but it seems (or could be interpretted) that the Reddit community is more important. This is also not the first time. If this forum is seen as lesser importance by the developers then fine, it is probably better I just join and follow Reddit.

Scrabbling

Quote from: corestandeven on January 20, 2018, 04:41:51 AM
Nothing against this being 1.0, or the project being slowly wound down if Tynan wants to - as he says 5 years is a long time for development - but what i am getting a little peeved at is why this announcement, and others, are always on Reddit?

I don't think the reddit comment really qualifies as an announcement. As Tynan stated himself in the first sentence - it's a ramble. My guess is that there wasn't much thought spent on PR / communication strategy, but that he saw the reddit thread speculating about 1.0 (based on an off-hand comment of his in another thread) and then read the (at that time) top-voted comment about "mixed feelings" and just felt the need to make his point of view heard.

And if you don't want to use reddit but not wanna miss anything important, try this: https://rimworlddevtracker.com/

Dingo

I personally think very little will change in terms of the overall product following a 1.0 release. Looking at the big picture, it'll stimulate newfound attention and press articles. That'll be great for the game as it'll bring in new customers - people who put off looking into it because of "Early Access" or have never heard of it. They'll be exposed to a refined product with a bustling modding community, which can only do good for RimWorld.

As for updates - be it from the dev team or the modding community - I bet RW will stay alive in the marketplace for the next few years at minimum.

Jarwy

Quote from: Dingo on January 20, 2018, 09:12:46 AM
As for updates - be it from the dev team or the modding community - I bet RW will stay alive in the marketplace for the next few years at minimum.

A few years minimum? A game like Rimworld will live at least a decade on the back of its mods. Such a great modding community it already has. I wouldn't even consider playing it without mods anymore.

And regarding next version being 1.0... good. It doesn't really matter as long as the final product remains as mod friendly as it has been.

Xerberus86

.... rimworld has more than enough "features" to justify the 1.0 tag ....BUT it does NOT have enough content, which i hope tynan is gonna add with the 1.0 release.

before the fanboy-hellbrigade comes let me iterate.

i love rimworld, one of my most played games on steam and in some degrees i even think it actually has surpassed its spiritual father dwarf fortress in terms of feature, graphics, UI and overall possibilities thanks to modding.

the ladder is what was keeping rimworld successful over the years and kept me started playing. it is the same with mount  & blade warband, also a sandbox game with a huge modding community which turned an "ok" game into a "masterpiece".

compare the amount of weapons or clothes in vanilla vs just like RT weapon pack + Rimsenal + Apparello. lategame content like glitterworld and EPOE .... we basically only have tribal enemies (people with bows, shivs and spears), pirates (people with varying degrees of guns) and TWO mechanoids. in terms of enemy variety and equipment not much. if rimworld would lose mod compatibility or many of the mods would not get updated anymore then the game would basically lose most of its content.

yes i know, tynan 1 guy vs hundreds of people ..... but he should think of maybe incorporating some mods (or mod elements) into the game IF the modders are ok with it. this way when the game gets updated a) the mods won't break and b) the game would get some more content.

on the other hand he should just sit down and create some more content (animals, weapons, clothes, etc.) on his own to incorporate them into the game.

... bottom line is that without mods i wouldn't even continued playing this game because it runs out of content quite soon.

just my 2 cents.

silversalmon

I bought this game 3 years ago.  It was worth every penny of my $30 bucks back then & I feel like my initial investment has just grown over time, like a lil' baby alpaca :D

Like others have said there's always more content/game ending graphics etc you'd like to see as a player BUT I say let this man rest on his laurels and rake in some cash for awhile  8)