[1.0] Biomes! New Environments to Diversify the World.

Started by Draegon, January 20, 2018, 05:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draegon

The intention of the mod is to make the world of Rimworld more varied and interesting, This mod will add multiple new Biomes to the world along with the plants and animals to populate them. A few Biomes have been planned out so far but suggestions are always welcome.

Created By:
Draegon1993
Odeum
Stormblind
Evalynn
Bendgeidfran
Kfish
Lanilor
Luizi
Pullmylever
Proprimegaming

Terra project
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1598637926

Biomes! Core
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1288714774
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcbh4ejbqh2tsto/Biomes2Core.rar?dl=0

Biomes! Caverns
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1275333892
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8z5huce5419afga/Biomes2Caves.rar?dl=0

The REQUIRED mod load order is Terra Project, Biomes! Core, then Biomes! Caverns
This mod requires Terra Project to work!

Feel free to join our discord! https://discord.gg/XwmuDkX

This will be the initial release of the mod for 1.0 and will only include the Cavern biome content. We will progressively tweak and add more to the biome until we deem it finished.

Please note that we are intending to switch to B19 Terra due to it being far less buggy and only adding the new biomes!

Known Compatability

Known Incompatability

Animals:

• Fruit Bats: Flappy herbivorous mammals.
  • Pale Lizards: Tiny lizards that are often preyed on by cavern carnivores.
  • Crystal Crab: Crabs with a shell of stone covered in crystal.
  • Jellypot Bug: Small, jelly producing insects.
  • Bovine Beetle: Muffalo sized beetles, great for meat, chitin, and honeydew. They can be used as a caravan animal.
  • Mole: Dog sized mammals that inhabit the caverns.
  • Pillbug: Heavily armored plated insects.
  • Royal Rhino Beetle: Horned beetles that make for decent defenders.
  • Maxolotl: Huge omnivorous salamanders that dwell within the waters of the caverns.
  • Slime: Living piles of slime with acidic flesh.
  • Giant Snail: Surprisingly fast snails the size of a cow that can be used as caravan animals.
  • Spectre Shrimp: Small yet ferocious blind shrimp that dwell within the lakes and rivers of the caverns.
  • Cave Spider: The top predator of the biome, these ferocious spiders have a venemous bite and considerable strength. When tamed they can be used as caravan animals.
  • Vampire Bat: Bloodthirsty flying mammals that feed on anything large enough.
  • Vampire Moth: A moth whose fluttering foretells the drinking of blood.

Plants and Fungi:

• Giant Mushrooms: Tree sized mushrooms that produce a fungal material as strong as wood.
  • Spectre Cap: Large, pale glowing mushrooms.
  • Glowfruit: A citrus like fruit tree whose fruit glows.
  • Skultop: A large mushroom that produces toxic spores when anything gets close enough.
  • Mortal Morel: A source of fungal medicine, a cavern version of herbal medicine that is slightly weaker.
  • Inkcap: A source of fiber that requires no light to grow.
  • Bluebell: A hallucinogenic mushroom often taken by tribes.
  • Water Fungus: Fungi that can grow on water.
  • Starlight Shroom: Small, dark capped mushrooms with tiny spots that glimmer.
Note:
New Ore:

• Coal: A good source of fuel for generators.
  • Crystal: Strong crystal that can be used to build a great variety of things.

New Items:

• Beetle Armor: Armor made from chitin, steel, and textiles.
  • Mole Claw: An item gotten off of dead Moles that can be used to make the Mole Claw Glove and Gauntlet.
  • Honeydew: A sweet nectar produces by Bovine Beetles.

Future updates planned for the Caverns biome.

• Creature Structures, Ants and Ant Colonies and Spider Dens.
  • Cavern Races, Mushkin and Troglodytes.
  • More Items
  • More Events and Custom Sounds/Music
Future Biomes Planned

Island/Archipelago Plans

• Bits of land surrounded by water. One lone piece of land with small pieces around it or multiple small or multiple of various sizes
  • Potentially Volcanic Islands
  • Hot Springs
  • Shipwrecks
  • Scuba/Snorkel gear
  • Coral resource
  • Tides (Potentially on coasts as well)
  • Carnivorous plants
  • Citrus crop
  • New animals
  • Sea Pirates
  • Ship based travel?

Volcanic Wasteland

• Rivers of Lava, lava pools, cooling lava terrain, etc
  • High Temperature
  • Fertile ashy soil
  • Ash cloud event (partially blocks out the sun)
  • Obsidian
  • Burned Trees
Ocean Floor Plans

• Underwater
  • New Ruins
  • Kelp Forests
  • Volcanic vents
  • Sunken Ships
  • Tanks of Air for use outside of the base
  • Various plants and animals
  • Gear for underwater use
  • New turrets and other security
Credits:
Jecrell for his creating of the superb mod logo!

Permissions
Feel free to use this mod in a mod pack!

We're currently recruiting C# programmers, XML programmers, and Artists! If you would like to join the team shoot one of us a message on the discord!

wwWraith

Oh, looks like I have to start a new colony once again...  ;D

Will it use any defs from Arachnophobia if it's installed or just add new ones anyway (e.g. spiders base, arachnid meat)? And will vampires (from the Vampires mod :) ) be active regardless of daytime as there are no sun?
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Shotgunfrenzy

Been waiting forever for this release, thank you guys so much, I expect great things :0

RyanRim

Looks great, new creatures are always nice. Is it safe to add mid-game?

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

wwWraith

MapReroll doesn't work with Caverns (just sticks on "Generating previews..." without effect or debug messages).
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Draegon

Quote from: RyanRim on January 20, 2018, 06:43:25 AM
Looks great, new creatures are always nice. Is it safe to add mid-game?

I'm not sure, but since it adds a new biome I doubt you'd be able to get much out of it without a new save.

Draegon

Quote from: wwWraith on January 20, 2018, 05:45:21 AM
Oh, looks like I have to start a new colony once again...  ;D

Will it use any defs from Arachnophobia if it's installed or just add new ones anyway (e.g. spiders base, arachnid meat)? And will vampires (from the Vampires mod :) ) be active regardless of daytime as there are no sun?

We used some code from Arachnophobia if I remember correctly but no defs. We're trying to limit dependencies. As for the vampires, they will still have their normal cycle in the biome unless Jecrell changes something on his end. You won't have to worry about the sun though, unless you have them stand in one of the rare unroofed spots.

Draegon

Changelog:
Skulltop Spore flee distance was increased, helps prevent animals from wandering back in.
Planter Box can be made with fungal logs now.
Buildings made of fungal logs have a custom color now.
Fungal Log recipes were fixed.
Biome roof gen was fixed.

Draegon

Added the ability to use fungal logs for various wood based production tables.

Draegon

Changelog:
Fixed Vampire Bat bug
Fixed Roof generation
Fixed Hugslib bug
Increased Mushroom Cluster amounts

Harry_Dicks

Draegon

wwWraith

Pathfinding makes it a hell establishing a colony near a big lake. Pawns often try to swim through deep water rather then go by coast or bridges. PathAvoid helps a little but not enough. I'm afraid of eventually find someone dying from starvation in the middle of that lake while trying to cross it for the food. Though there's not much can be done before RimWorld pathfinding will receive some real improvements.

Draegon

Quote from: wwWraith on January 22, 2018, 04:09:11 AM
Pathfinding makes it a hell establishing a colony near a big lake. Pawns often try to swim through deep water rather then go by coast or bridges. PathAvoid helps a little but not enough. I'm afraid of eventually find someone dying from starvation in the middle of that lake while trying to cross it for the food. Though there's not much can be done before RimWorld pathfinding will receive some real improvements.
Yeah, Rimworld pathing is a bit wonky at times, it seems to go by total distance rather than by the walk speed along the way. Not sure if we can improve this.

blizzardwolf420

so im having a bit of a problem with the biomes , half the time when i generate the map ill get some cave animals and no mushrooms or water in any of the caves leading to the death of every animal in the map with no new ones spawning. Plus with no way to grow food or get wood for the planters in time my colony starves to death. any idea what could be causeing this?