[B19] Wild Animal Sex 3.2 - Now it just feels... natural....~

Started by WalkingProblem, December 07, 2017, 02:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

QuoteThats the funny thing about Ice Sheet, it typically cannot support any animals - which is why just 4 prey is too many prey~ LOL   

Weirdly, for all that predators, they did not kill the 4 preys...  LMAO

I think the only way I can "fix" this, is to ensure there can never be more "predators" than "prey" on a map~

What you think?
I got the similar thing on ice sheet too, after a group of 6 pinguin spawn on my map.
So i think, a minimal count of prey before a predator spawn. Around 10-20. This number is large enough so it wouldn't happen normaly at ice sheet.

What would happen when a large manhunter pack of prey animal would arrive at the map, does it would tripper a predator spawn ?

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Canute on February 12, 2018, 12:44:55 PM
I got the similar thing on ice sheet too, after a group of 6 pinguin spawn on my map.
So i think, a minimal count of prey before a predator spawn. Around 10-20. This number is large enough so it wouldn't happen normaly at ice sheet.

What would happen when a large manhunter pack of prey animal would arrive at the map, does it would tripper a predator spawn ?

Cant remember. LMAO

But basically, with more predators on the ice sheet = more meat.

I think I can just set the predators can not be more than prey thingy - that would be good enough.

Kori

Quote from: Walking Problem on February 12, 2018, 12:24:27 PM
I think the only way I can "fix" this, is to ensure there can never be more "predators" than "prey" on a map~

What you think?

That sounds reasonable, I like the idea.

I wondered if it would be possible to make the appearance of predators more steadily increasing over time instead of their almost instant appearance in very large numbers?
To prevent situations where you have hundreds of wild animals on your map for years without even one predator appearing (which is okay), but as soon as they reach the limit, a huge number of predators invades your map almost immediately. I got almost 100 predators at once, they even started to hunt each other.
I know that you have balanced everything and that an insufficient amount of predators won't change anything when there is a very large prey population.
Still I think it would be more immersive if only a set percentage of the calculated predator maximum would appear per day, maybe as an optional setting?

I currently have about 500 wild animals on the map and got almost 100 predators. When 100 is the number of predators the mod tries to spawn for this amount of prey, I'd like to set it to something between 5-10% per day, so that it would take 10-20 days until the full amount of predators arrives on the map, as long as the prey population won't be decimated in the meantime.
This setting can also help players that are sometimes caught off guard when suddenly a huge amount of predators appears and starts to hunt down their tamed animals.
What do you think?

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Kori on February 12, 2018, 01:12:15 PM
That sounds reasonable, I like the idea.

I wondered if it would be possible to make the appearance of predators more steadily increasing over time instead of their almost instant appearance in very large numbers?
To prevent situations where you have hundreds of wild animals on your map for years without even one predator appearing (which is okay), but as soon as they reach the limit, a huge number of predators invades your map almost immediately. I got almost 100 predators at once, they even started to hunt each other.
I know that you have balanced everything and that an insufficient amount of predators won't change anything when there is a very large prey population.
Still I think it would be more immersive if only a set percentage of the calculated predator maximum would appear per day, maybe as an optional setting?

I currently have about 500 wild animals on the map and got almost 100 predators. When 100 is the number of predators the mod tries to spawn for this amount of prey, I'd like to set it to something between 5-10% per day, so that it would take 10-20 days until the full amount of predators arrives on the map, as long as the prey population won't be decimated in the meantime.
This setting can also help players that are sometimes caught off guard when suddenly a huge amount of predators appears and starts to hunt down their tamed animals.
What do you think?

Actually there can never be more than 6 predators spawned on any one day. (the actual number is between 3 to 6 predators. its hardcoded by me)

So it is not "me" which made a 100 predator spawn thingy....  In fact, if you on the dev mode, you can see every single spawning of predator in the error log. Every predator spawned is accounted for.

Kori

Okay, that's strange. I'm not using any other mod that changes the wildlife and they only spawned when I got the prey population warning, so everything seems to be working.
Is it possible that the mod sometimes spawns up to 3-6 animals of any kind of predator that is allowed for this biome, resulting in a larger total amount per day?
I also got polar bears, arctic wolves and arctic foxes on a temperate jungle map..

Next time I will keep an eye on the log. :)

Sleeeper

Quote from: Walking Problem on February 12, 2018, 12:24:27 PM
Thats the funny thing about Ice Sheet, it typically cannot support any animals - which is why just 4 prey is too many prey~ LOL   

Weirdly, for all that predators, they did not kill the 4 preys...  LMAO

What you think?
Well, predators are busy killing eachother, lol.
Good idea about amount.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Kori on February 12, 2018, 02:01:04 PM
Okay, that's strange. I'm not using any other mod that changes the wildlife and they only spawned when I got the prey population warning, so everything seems to be working.
Is it possible that the mod sometimes spawns up to 3-6 animals of any kind of predator that is allowed for this biome, resulting in a larger total amount per day?
I also got polar bears, arctic wolves and arctic foxes on a temperate jungle map..

Next time I will keep an eye on the log. :)

By right, the only predators that can spawn, is as per what they would spawn naturally. (thats some fuck up english....)

I mean, prey overpopulation can only spawn predators that is already allowed to be spawn on that biome under vanilla circumstances.

And yeah, arctic critters are allowed on temperate maps... just rarer.

The only way to tell what my mod is doing to your game, is you watch the error log when there is a "ding" sound~

Harry_Dicks

WP how will your mod interact with RF - Configurable Maps? With CM you can adjust fauna populations. Does your mod and CM mod multiply these limits over one another, or does one mod overwrite another, and if so is this determined by load order or something else?

Also, will your mod be affected by any changes I make to default wild animal settings per biome? I was wondering if anything similar happens with your mod because it has population limits as well. I recently asked this in Rainbeau's thread as well, and here was his was response, when asking about changing flora/fauna spawn rates in my core defs.

Quote from: dburgdorf on February 12, 2018, 04:57:32 PM
Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 12, 2018, 12:54:08 PM
Does Configurable Maps base it's sliders modifications for these values off of what I will have set up in my game, or will what I change in my defs be irrelevant?

What you put in your defs will be irrelevant. The sliders in "Configurable Maps" calculate values based on default vanilla values without regard to what's actually in the XML definitions.

Kori

WP thanks for your help! :)

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 13, 2018, 07:18:39 AM
WP how will your mod interact with RF - Configurable Maps? With CM you can adjust fauna populations. Does your mod and CM mod multiply these limits over one another, or does one mod overwrite another, and if so is this determined by load order or something else?

Now that you mention it, I'm using RF - Configurable Maps and forgot that it also affects wildlife.  :-X I haven't changed the default values though.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Kori on February 13, 2018, 07:40:35 AM
Now that you mention it, I'm using RF - Configurable Maps and forgot that it also affects wildlife.  :-X I haven't changed the default values though.

See. =P

My codes are too straightforward to give you 100 predators. LOL

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 13, 2018, 07:18:39 AM

Also, will your mod be affected by any changes I make to default wild animal settings per biome? I was wondering if anything similar happens with your mod because it has population limits as well. I recently asked this in Rainbeau's thread as well, and here was his was response, when asking about changing flora/fauna spawn rates in my core defs.

Quote from: dburgdorf on February 12, 2018, 04:57:32 PM
Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 12, 2018, 12:54:08 PM
Does Configurable Maps base it's sliders modifications for these values off of what I will have set up in my game, or will what I change in my defs be irrelevant?

What you put in your defs will be irrelevant. The sliders in "Configurable Maps" calculate values based on default vanilla values without regard to what's actually in the XML definitions.

Okay the simple answer is: this mod essentially just make animal have sex and give birth.

The prey population limit is set to help players to manage their prey population - if you dun really care about lag, you can just set it at level 10 and its essentially so high that the limit is seldom going to be burst (unless you are on those "dead" biomes like extreme desert or ice sheet).

Thus its totally compatible with Configurable Maps.

I think what I should do is to set level 10 as "unlimited prey". What you guys think?

Kori

Quote from: Walking Problem on February 13, 2018, 12:52:12 PM
See. =P

My codes are too straightforward to give you 100 predators. LOL
;D  I'm sorry!
It's just that RF - Configurable Maps is still set to vanilla values...  ???
Anyway I think it was something on my end, let's see what results Harry gets with WAS + RFCM.

Please don't think that my previous posts were meant to be criticism, I just wondered about the predators. Everything else is working flawlessly and I love all these little baby animals my map gets flooded with! It's a must have mod for me already.

Quote from: Walking Problem on February 13, 2018, 12:52:12 PM
I think what I should do is to set level 10 as "unlimited prey". What you guys think?

Sounds good!

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Kori on February 13, 2018, 01:38:57 PM
It's just that RF - Configurable Maps is still set to vanilla values...  ???
Anyway I think it was something on my end, let's see what results Harry gets with WAS + RFCM.

From my past experience, the RF mods have overwritten other mods that changed the same things. For example, with cuproPanda's Stones, he had the mod options to change how many and what types of stones spawn in the world. Well before this last update, Configurable Maps had a similar option (only how many stones per cell, but it would negate any stone types turned on/off in cupro's mod) that would always overwrite cupro's. So I'm wonder if you use CM that it is going to totally overwrite any changes that WAS has? Maybe Mister Dburgdorf would be able to answer this question better.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 13, 2018, 02:53:14 PM
From my past experience, the RF mods have overwritten other mods that changed the same things. For example, with cuproPanda's Stones, he had the mod options to change how many and what types of stones spawn in the world. Well before this last update, Configurable Maps had a similar option (only how many stones per cell, but it would negate any stone types turned on/off in cupro's mod) that would always overwrite cupro's. So I'm wonder if you use CM that it is going to totally overwrite any changes that WAS has? Maybe Mister Dburgdorf would be able to answer this question better.

I can safely say "nothing".

As mentioned, the mod only adds animal sex and give birth.

The entire prey population limit is also custom coded.

So as a result, there wont be any clash with any other mods~ =}

WalkingProblem

Wild Animal Sex is now V2.2!!!

Now, Prey Population Limit option Level 10 will now disable the Prey Overpopulation alert (thus, no predators will be introduced to curb the population boom)

Have fun! (and please treat me to a meal at https://ko-fi.com/walkingproblem)

--

NON-STEAM DOWNLOAD: http://walkingproblem.com/sdm_downloads/wild-animal-sex-ver2-2/
STEAM DOWNLOAD: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1224175982

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Walking Problem on February 15, 2018, 01:57:14 PM
Wild Animal Sex is now V2.2!!!

Now, Prey Population Limit option Level 10 will now disable the Prey Overpopulation alert (thus, no predators will be introduced to curb the population boom)

WP, please forgive me if I seem like I am asking the same thing again, because I am a bit dense :) But does this mean that your mod will not change the population numbers now, but if you have it set to level 10, then the population will just keep increasing, without sending in any predators? Also, again (sorry!), will any of this be affected by Configurable Maps' fauna setting?

Thanks for being patient with me, and answering my silly questions!