Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustindps

*Blast doors - High hp, can only be opened and closed from a terminal. Used for Bio hazards or Raider attack.

*Neurotoxin - Poisonous gas that will slowly kill all entities near it. Can only be used indoors. Used against raiders or for conspiracies.

*Slave chains - So they know their place. Decreases movement speed and unable to use weapons. Increases time they can be awake to work. More fear = Increased movement speed (still encumbered compared to unchained) + Increased wake time.

*Space Fungus - If a body is not buried, has a low chance to reanimate and attack closes npc.

*Pictures - Picture frames of colonists to hang on wall, passed or alive. Linked with relationships?

salt1219

Quote from: dustindps on October 15, 2013, 06:30:09 PM
*Pictures - Picture frames of colonists to hang on wall, passed or alive. Linked with relationships?

this is a top down game, i don't think that would translate well.

SpaceEatingTrex

Quote from: salt1219 on October 15, 2013, 07:18:58 PM

salt1219 brought up a good point - if pictures were hung/built on a wall they could be impossible to see most of the time. However, I think RimWorld would really benefit from from generated objects like Dwarf Fortress' statues, engravings and etc. That is to say, pictures could be of animals, plants, landscapes, colonists, etc. Those add a lot of style and fluff to the game - some of the more memorable moments in Dwarf Fortress come from them.

miah999

What about paintings on an easel then.

salt1219

Quote from: miah999 on October 15, 2013, 07:48:57 PM

That might be angled enough.
We need to keep in mind the art isn't set in stone yet, so we might get a slightly different view angle.  If we saw more of the side of walls it would open up all kinds of things like this.

miah999

Quote from: salt1219 on October 16, 2013, 04:06:21 PM
Quote from: miah999 on October 15, 2013, 07:48:57 PM

That might be angled enough.
We need to keep in mind the art isn't set in stone yet, so we might get a slightly different view angle.  If we saw more of the side of walls it would open up all kinds of things like this.

Tynan has said it will always be top-down, so I'm not sure how much the angle might change.

MarchingHome

A cheap UI help could be easily implemented in the Overview menu (where you can use checkboxes to decide who does what). Right now, you need to uncheck every box in a certain column if you want everybody to stop certain work. A great help would be if a column (for example Hauling) could be switched off by one click on the top of the column. If you would switch it on again later, it remembers which colonists actually had the checkbox checked and reinstates that.

An example where it could be useful is in the situation that GC13 encountered in his Combat Preview video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4ukQZPfbO4&hd=1&t=14m11s

He initially switched them all off because he didn't want the colonists to walk all around the map while there where raiders waiting to attack.

Sorry if this was already posted (or if this thread isn't meant for UI feedback).

Joe_Robins

I did search and although I found ideas that had the same name, my concept is slightly different.

Here is my super simple idea, a power switch.

When placed it conducts power and can be toggled on and off.

Possible use cases:
Creating backup battery banks that you can enable if power gets disrupted
Creating power grids that allow you to prioritize power in an emergency, i.e one circuit that disables hydroponic lighting when power is low and raiders strike.

SpaceEatingTrex

Quote from: MarchingHome on October 17, 2013, 01:15:15 AM
A cheap UI help could be easily implemented in the Overview menu (where you can use checkboxes to decide who does what). Right now, you need to uncheck every box in a certain column if you want everybody to stop certain work. A great help would be if a column (for example Hauling) could be switched off by one click on the top of the column. If you would switch it on again later, it remembers which colonists actually had the checkbox checked and reinstates that.

That seems like a good user-friendly feature. Having an extra checkbox per job that checks or unchecks all colonists from that job seems like it shouldn't be too hard to implement. Having game remember which colonists were checked beforehand might be a bit more complicated, but I think a simple array could handle that. However, would we want to remember which colonists were checked, or would it be more convenient to make it always check/uncheck all? MarchingHome mentioned GC13's situation wherein he wanted every colonist unchecked, but there are other situations in which you would presumably want all of them checked.

We'd also have to consider edge cases, like what happens when someone new joins the colony. I think a good solution here is to have the job checkboxes automatically assign/unassign all colonists who aren't incapable of a job.

mumblemumble

Since theres currently tons of events to invoke misery on the player, but relatively few to help the player, here are a few positive event ideas.

Shipping error : Another colony messed up on the coordinates for their metal / food / gun shipment, and it lands in your base for you to take.

"Lucky" thunder strike : A bolt of lightning hits JUST right, and gives your grid a large jump of power.

Bounty hunters : A group of bounty hunters just so happened to be commissioned to take down the group of raiders attacking you due to attacking another base previously, so you get assistance for the battle.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Haplo

Your bounty hunter idea gave me the following idea:
With a raider drop comes a single (or duo) of colonists who wants to join your colony. They drop halfway between the raiders and the colony.
Background: The raiders originaly hunt the colonist(s). They see your colony and decide to run their to request help.
This will get you instandly a new colonist for free (like the event, were a colonist joins) but has the disadvantage that the raiders will instantly attack your base because of the 'see colonist trigger'.

Edit:
Hmm, I should have posted this with the storyteller ideas.. Oh well, too late..

Semmy

Quote from: Haplo on October 17, 2013, 12:49:07 PM
Your bounty hunter idea gave me the following idea:
With a raider drop comes a single (or duo) of colonists who wants to join your colony. They drop halfway between the raiders and the colony.
Background: The raiders originaly hunt the colonist(s). They see your colony and decide to run their to request help.
This will get you instandly a new colonist for free (like the event, were a colonist joins) but has the disadvantage that the raiders will instantly attack your base because of the 'see colonist trigger'.

Edit:
Hmm, I should have posted this with the storyteller ideas.. Oh well, too late..

besides that you could refuse to help out the guy and sell him to the bounty hunters d-;
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Haplo

Some people are soo mean to poor small colonists..
*In the background the 'rescued colonist' sneaks out through the backdoor with 200 metal in his pockets*  ;)

Lechai

I'm pretty sure that this has been suggested before, but i liked it.
No starting buildings!
ie: no stockpile sleeping spots or trash heap, just the metal to make them.
the idea of crash landing next to these buildings has always grated on me a little.
The only issue i can think of is the new player learning curve.
or did Ty make it this way to know roughly where the player would build to spawn raiders appropriately?

MarchingHome

Quote from: SpaceEatingTrex on October 17, 2013, 07:41:33 AM
Quote from: MarchingHome on October 17, 2013, 01:15:15 AM

That seems like a good user-friendly feature. Having an extra checkbox per job that checks or unchecks all colonists from that job seems like it shouldn't be too hard to implement. Having game remember which colonists were checked beforehand might be a bit more complicated, but I think a simple array could handle that. However, would we want to remember which colonists were checked, or would it be more convenient to make it always check/uncheck all? MarchingHome mentioned GC13's situation wherein he wanted every colonist unchecked, but there are other situations in which you would presumably want all of them checked.

We'd also have to consider edge cases, like what happens when someone new joins the colony. I think a good solution here is to have the job checkboxes automatically assign/unassign all colonists who aren't incapable of a job.

I agree with you, but actually the situation with GC13 was that he first wanted all checkboxes unchecked for that kinda job, and after that he wanted the checkboxes that were previously checked checked again (not all).

One could find it more useful to check/uncheck everything with a single click instead of what I was proposing.
The one option (remembering what was checked) would actually give an administrative advantage (not having to remember who was assigned to do the job), but the other option (check/uncheck all) would just save a lot of clicks.

I hope I'm clear about this (alcohol plays a role here).