Which movie/game/book/etc would you want merged with Rimworld?

Started by Call me Arty, May 16, 2018, 01:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

Just finished watching the Rage 2 trailer, and I loved the pieced-together mechs in it. . . plus mutants, lore, other vehicles, and neat weapons. I'd think it would be a neat enemy - as others have agreed since, like, ever - to see and fight. That being said, what is the ideal crossover for you? There are already some popular ideas, like whatever Jecrell has ever worked on, and some other smaller things, like the Argonian and the TiberiumRim mods.

Want extra credit? How would it fit into Rimworld's existing world and lore? Y'know, like Argonians being humans genetically adapted to living in swamps.

In General Discussion instead of suggestions as I must accept that we aren't getting RimCom 2: Terror from the Deep.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

jamaicancastle

I'm extremely tempted to say Red Mars (the half that's about colonization, anyway; the half that's about politics and war with Earth might not be so applicable).

I wouldn't mind if it circled back to Firefly to pick up more of the "itinerant merchant" theme, with more mechanics to make long-term or even permanent caravanning more engaging and viable.

Something of a Star Trek nature wouldn't be amiss either - not so much the aliens, although aliens are neat, as the general conceit of "go somewhere, find weird, potentially alien things, poke them until you understand how they work". (Stellaris is another good example in its anomaly system, which has a very Trek feel to it.) It's always felt like kind of a waste to me that Rimworld is set in the infinite vastness of the outer galaxy but its planets and biomes are always Earthlike.

These would all be more themes-and-concepts inclusions than actual crossovers, though.

Call me Arty

Quote from: jamaicancastle on May 16, 2018, 02:53:20 AM
I wouldn't mind if it circled back to Firefly to pick up more of the "itinerant merchant" theme, with more mechanics to make long-term or even permanent caravanning more engaging and viable.

Good suggestions all around, but this is the winner for me. I like trading, I just wish there were more to it than
A. Putting on my nicest jacket and waiting for a friendly faction to come by so I can sell all of my below-normal quality weapons and mismatched leathers
B. Making a caravan in the event that a settlement approximately four feet away wants to trade something good or legendary for something you already have or can make half a billion of in one day anyway.

Sick-ass pistols would be neat, too.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

Bozobub

Oh, that's easy:  Larry Niven's Ringworld series immediately comes to mind.
Thanks, belgord!

Call me Arty

Quote from: Bozobub on May 16, 2018, 09:16:22 PM
Oh, that's easy:  Larry Niven's Ringworld series immediately comes to mind.

"And now, we see one of Pierson's Puppeteers. As a race, they cannot craft knives, gladii, longswords, spears, shivs, or wood with any particular amount of splinters in them. Oh, and they have 10% of the mental break threshold as a human. Get one for your very own colony today!"

Boston

The Tabletop WH40k games. You can run a Rimworld game right out of the box with Dark Heresy.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Boston on May 17, 2018, 10:51:59 PM
The Tabletop WH40k games. You can run a Rimworld game right out of the box with Dark Heresy.

List of events we've received a lot of complaints about:

• Drop-pod raid
  • Tornadoes
  • Tornadoes, except now carrying a herd of boomrats
  • A single Ork/Ultra Marine/Carnifex
  • Toxic Fallout

We will be seeking to find a way to balance them so that they are no longer capable of single-handedly wiping out an entire colony.

jamaicancastle

A single ork can't do much of anything. A single Space Marine would be hard-pressed to take a colony either, unless he's written by Matt Ward in which case he could do it with both arms tied behind his back. A 'fex, on the other hand, would be a much more serious threat. (But then you could always downgrade - a few gaunts wouldn't be a big deal for a smallish colony.)

Call me Arty

Quote from: jamaicancastle on May 18, 2018, 03:41:55 PM
A single ork can't do much of anything. A single Space Marine would be hard-pressed to take a colony either, unless he's written by Matt Ward in which case he could do it with both arms tied behind his back. A 'fex, on the other hand, would be a much more serious threat. (But then you could always downgrade - a few gaunts wouldn't be a big deal for a smallish colony.)

> See an ork
> He's barely more than a Grot
> Shoot him
> Dead Ork
> Three months later, weird mushrooms
> Oh well, probably new form of Ambrosia sprout
> Attacked by three times the Orks
> Shoot them all, barely survive
> Three times the weird mushrooms

Also, a walking tank with a pistol that fires mini rockets and a chainsaw for a knife that's five times stronger than the average human even outside of that armor would be pretty tough for a bunch of people with a mix of bows, clubs, and revolvers.

Dashthechinchilla

Tribal Leadership. I have always liked psychology and sociology. I think it would be interesting if the pawns had more human motivation.

Fieldy409

Dune would be cool. Make a little Fremen colony and fight off the Harkonen....

Spice addiction, stillsuits and every gets personal shields!

Tober6fire

My god, I thought I knew most games never hear of rage 2 and looks a lot like mad maxish themed and I guess it would be cool to see something like that in a mode heck I can already see how I would create a mod that would fit into Rimworld (if I had the time). hmmm, design art should be simple just by using our already existing raiders but put more of a dystopian look and maybe a whole new world of a dystopian landscape such as deserts broken cities possible nuclear fall out (I usually think big first before I decide anything)  ;D. You have a good taste in games Arty and even though I can't make the mod I can see how its a possibility to make one.
I love stories and I hope that everyone try's to contribute in telling their stories as it is interesting and intriguing to see people connect through the tales they create.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Tober6fire on May 29, 2018, 02:16:01 AM
You have a good taste in games Arty . . .

Any game that can combine boomerangs and mechs has my attention, and the fact that they have ID software after they got their shit together for DOOM 4 helps a lot.

Kirby23590

I wouldn't mind if Rimworld gets a mix of you know a of stuff and equipment like from Starship Troopers and the Aliens USCM as well.

Just remove the bugs and xenomorphs and keep the stuff like the Morita Assault Rifle or their armor and Colonial Marine's M41A Pulse Rifle as well. Since well yeah mods exist for them.

But it doesn't hurt to throw in some elements from Fallout, XCOM and Starcraft as well. Things like gauss miniguns or nuke mini-launchers things like that and Psychics/Psionics from XCOM and Starcraft as well.

But just imagine BattleMech or MechWarrior in Rimworld... My dad really loves that game, but think about it. Riding something similar to the Shadow cat or obliterating a pirate base with a single mech or with two mechs or fighting a pirate piloting one.

Now that's something that i will ride over a tank since mechas are cooler.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.