Request for help: Prevention of the Alcopuppy.

Started by Snowcaller, May 30, 2018, 02:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowcaller

I can't stop puppies becoming raging drunks and dying of cirrhosis.
I've taken to slaughtering cirrhotic puppies but would rather breed them for hauling and selling, etc.
O great sages of the rim, Please aid me.  ;)

Snowy.

Gabe Lincoln

Use animal areas and stockpile restrictions to prevent the puppies from getting within 1 tile of the alcohol.

Snowcaller

Thanks for the reply, Gabe. I struggle with the area system but i'll try.
I already keep kibble in the barn. :)

Canute

So long the puppy's got access you will have drunk puppies from time to time.

Create a new Animal zone
Set this zone to the area's your puppies don't should go (freezer, storage,...)
Then goto the zone management, and invert this area, then assign it to your puppies.
Mod's like smaterfoodselection can help too.

Tober6fire

Well you could just kill the puppies lol kidding what I do if I am feeling lazy is create one animal area that covers the whole map then just get rid of the area around my storages lots of room for animals and no complaints from drunk dogs dieing constantly by drinking the emergancy beer for the winter to warm the belly
I love stories and I hope that everyone try's to contribute in telling their stories as it is interesting and intriguing to see people connect through the tales they create.

Fieldy409

I heard somebody else say on reddit that animals eat drugs when they are hungry and simply do it because its the closest food to them, and they venture a little bit out of exclusion zones if starving. They recommended place your drugs in such a way you would have to go through your freezer and then the hungry animals would simply eat the easier to reach food instead. Which may not be ideal either but if you have a surplus of food its not as bad as losing one of your last 3 luciferium thats keeping your level 20 reasearcher going.... It'd be nice if we could get high shelves or lockable shelves to keep the animals out.

TheMeInTeam

^ Animals do drugs outside their zones even when they have access to food within their zones.

It's nonsense and adds busywork as you can't trust the zones then, needing to put the drugs significantly further away and learn range by trial/error if you don't want to micro construct walls or something.  This adds nothing to the gameplay but a forced meme.

I'd get it if it's in their zone or they're starving and desperate, but that's just not what's going down right now.  You can kill animals with zoning, but it's not enough to zone them away from drugs.  That's nonsense.

Dashthechinchilla

I just don't produce anything except pekoe. However, ambrosia is food too, so same problem as beer.

To create my zone I designate the area I don't want my dogs to go. Then I invert it. You just have to remember that your humans have to haul those items.

cultist

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on May 31, 2018, 01:44:38 AM
^ Animals do drugs outside their zones even when they have access to food within their zones.

It's nonsense and adds busywork as you can't trust the zones then, needing to put the drugs significantly further away and learn range by trial/error if you don't want to micro construct walls or something.  This adds nothing to the gameplay but a forced meme.

I'd get it if it's in their zone or they're starving and desperate, but that's just not what's going down right now.  You can kill animals with zoning, but it's not enough to zone them away from drugs.  That's nonsense.

My suspicion is that they are seeking out food items with higher joy value, like human pawns do. Most pawns will eat berries before they eat a simple meal, because food with a positive gluttonous value gets prioritized (This is also why fine meals are prefered over simple, I assume). They don't seem to care if they actually need joy or not.

And yes, animals breaking zones to screw you over is very annoying. I've never needed more than a couple of tiles as a buffer zone though, you kind of have to plan out your animal zones early to avoid them going near drugs.