[1.1] Giddy-up!

Started by Roolo, December 01, 2017, 04:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman666

Actually that happened to me couple times as well. Usually when some enemy engages one of my units in melee, while the guy was already shooting at him. At that time mounted animal retaliates in melee and somehow gets shot by its own rider.

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on June 12, 2018, 05:59:30 AM
Actually that happened to me couple times as well. Usually when some enemy engages one of my units in melee, while the guy was already shooting at him. At that time mounted animal retaliates in melee and somehow gets shot by its own rider.

And you don't have CE? Sure the enemy didn't just melee the animal? They sometimes do that even though they are targeting the rider (which could also happen IRL)

Madman666

Yep. I am quite sure. If i see a pirate with a gladius melee attack my wolf rider, that has assault rifle and see the wolf get a gunshot from assault rifle - that makes it clear, its not a wound from the pirate. For some reason most damage to mounted pawns always goes for actual rider, not the mount for me

Also no, I never use CE, too many incompatibilities.

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on June 12, 2018, 02:53:14 PM
Yep. I am quite sure. If i see a pirate with a gladius melee attack my wolf rider, that has assault rifle and see the wolf get a gunshot from assault rifle - that makes it clear, its not a wound from the pirate. For some reason most damage to mounted pawns always goes for actual rider, not the mount for me

Also no, I never use CE, too many incompatibilities.

Ok good to know. I'll look into it (after finishing WhatTheHack).

Madman666

Sure, no rush there. I'll also do some testing to see if i can relibly replicate it, to give you something to base the search on.

Ser Kitteh

Question to @Roolo, what exactly IS the conflict with CE and Giddyup? I'm still a newbie to CE, and I find the usual tactic of "having two dudes in front of you" doesn't work very well. Does the same thing apply to mounts?

Roolo

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on June 12, 2018, 10:18:08 PM
Question to @Roolo, what exactly IS the conflict with CE and Giddyup? I'm still a newbie to CE, and I find the usual tactic of "having two dudes in front of you" doesn't work very well. Does the same thing apply to mounts?

The conflict is that riders can hit the mount they are riding when firing on enemies, especially when the mount is large. This happens because CE changes the way how bullet collisions are determined.

QuoteI'm still a newbie to CE, and I find the usual tactic of "having two dudes in front of you" doesn't work very well. Does the same thing apply to mounts?
I'm afraid I don't know what the "having two dudes in front of you" tactic is so I don't know if this applies to mounts :)

Ser Kitteh

Well in vanilla Rimworld, you can safely put two pawns in front of of a pawn that has a gun in front of them. So the formation of:

YXX

Y being the guy with the gun, the first two Xs are safe from friendly fire. Which is also why a lot of firing lines you see in the game from other players is essentially this.

But alas, that's a question for CE and not Giddy Up.

Roolo

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on June 13, 2018, 05:23:36 AM
Well in vanilla Rimworld, you can safely put two pawns in front of of a pawn that has a gun in front of them. So the formation of:

YXX

Y being the guy with the gun, the first two Xs are safe from friendly fire. Which is also why a lot of firing lines you see in the game from other players is essentially this.

But alas, that's a question for CE and not Giddy Up.

Ok clear now. To answer your question: No this won't work with Giddy-up in combination with CE either, since only more pawns are put in the fire trajectory this way.

Canute

Roolo,
i notice something, when a pawn reserve a mount for riding, the mount just stand and the pawn move to the mount.
Do you think it would possible to implement, that the mount intercept the pawn too ?
I bet it would be hard to find a proper algorithm for a good interception.
Maybe the pawn hunt the animal, and the animal hunt the pawn.

Edit:
And i want get a discussion again about stableboxes.
What other people think about these.
A building/furniture pawn's will mount/unmount the animal's (work's like the Pawn drop spot).
The animal's slowly gain rest and food while they stay inside. But need to be fueled up with kibble (since that is the only food all animals would eat).

Roolo

Quote from: Canute on June 15, 2018, 04:44:48 PM
Roolo,
i notice something, when a pawn reserve a mount for riding, the mount just stand and the pawn move to the mount.

I bet it would be hard to find a proper algorithm for a good interception.
Maybe the pawn hunt the animal, and the animal hunt the pawn.

Edit:
And i want get a discussion again about stableboxes.
What other people think about these.
A building/furniture pawn's will mount/unmount the animal's (work's like the Pawn drop spot).
The animal's slowly gain rest and food while they stay inside. But need to be fueled up with kibble (since that is the only food all animals would eat).

Do you think it would possible to implement, that the mount intercept the pawn too?

Possible: yes, easy to implement: no. Using the hunting mechanic doesn't work. The hunt mechanic uses the normal follow mechanic which gives a move order to the cell the followee is going to whenever the followee goes to another cell. This obviously doesn't work when two pawns have each other as follower (both pawns would keep waiting until the other gets a move order, which never happens). So I'd need both pawns to go to a cell  between both pawns and determining the right cell isn't trivial. Maybe it's something for the future but right now I have a lot more important things I'd like to finish.

About the stable boxes: I really think creating restrict zone, placing a drop spot on it, and placing a stockpile zone with some animal food in the zone suits the needs of most players and I still don't see the added value of creating such boxes. Implementing it all would take days, time I'd rather spend on adding things that actually enrich the game instead of adding mechanics that do things that can already be done with existing mechanics.

I notice you're passionate about the idea of stable boxes, and I don't want to be harsh, but my time is very limited so I need to be careful how I spend it. If you really want to see it happening I suggest diving into modding yourself. I'll gladly help you in the process.

Canute

Yes, i can assign an animal zone, and put a stockpile for food into it.
But the animal only would rest at night and eat if the food are low.
But these stablebox keep the animal well rested and feeded.

But i don't force you to do anything, just want give you idea's or suggestions.
If you don't jump on these idea's it is ok from my side, and you are right if i want it i should do it self ! :-)

About the intercept, trained animal can follow their master for fieldworld/draft.
It is possible that you let the animal temp. follow these pawn with these mechanics ?
No need to answer.

Roolo

Quote from: Canute on June 16, 2018, 04:49:17 PM
Yes, i can assign an animal zone, and put a stockpile for food into it.
But the animal only would rest at night and eat if the food are low.
But these stablebox keep the animal well rested and feeded.

But i don't force you to do anything, just want give you idea's or suggestions.
If you don't jump on these idea's it is ok from my side, and you are right if i want it i should do it self ! :-)

About the intercept, trained animal can follow their master for fieldworld/draft.
It is possible that you let the animal temp. follow these pawn with these mechanics ?
No need to answer.

Your feedback is always welcome.
While I won't implement the stable boxes, your post does shed light on something that's currently missing:
QuoteBut these stablebox keep the animal well rested and feeded.
Currently there isn't really a way to make sure animals are ready to be used as mounts during the night (especially with Ride and Roll this is an issue, since pawns won't mount resting animals). This is definitely something that should be improved. I could add a mechanic that allows players to change the "rest" schedule of animals (like how it can currently be done with colonists).

QuoteIt is possible that you let the animal temp. follow these pawn with these mechanics ?
This won't really work. The colonist gets a move order to the animal's position. The animal following the colonist, will move to the target cell of the colonist, but this is the animal's current position, so it would just wait for the pawn to get to it. Still, with some fiddling I can definitely get something working, but it just doesn't have my priority right now.

Roolo

Update:

I just released the 1.0 experimental versions for Giddy-up! Core and Giddy-up! Battle mounts.
The other mods in the series require some extra time, and I'll release them later.

Update notes:
Giddy-up! Core
- Added support for Rimworld 1.0 experimental.
- Fixed "animal from any biome" setting not working properly, causing only in-biome animals to spawn with the setting, instead of animals from any biome.
Giddy-up! Battle Mounts
- Added support for Rimworld 1.0 experimental.

projectew

Is this version for either B18 OR 1.0 experimental, or only 1.0?