Rimworld Monastics

Started by Skryabin, July 21, 2018, 05:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
10th of Septober 5500, Spring

BROTHER SNAY
Brother Snay saved my life today! I was chased by a pirate and he kindly offered me his protection. The bad guy was equipped with a revolver, but Br. Snay had only one knife, so we made an ambush in his living room and attacked the pirate from close distance. I jumped at his face while Br.Snay approached him from the back and killed him with his knife. "It is not good to kill, - he said, - but if someone comes with this intention, we must protect ourselves". While I was treating his wounds, he told me that I will not be able to stay here, because in their monastic order women live separately from men, and if I want to join them, I may go to Whiterock Convent half day journey from here. I offered him my help for at least a couple of days, because I feel sorry for him: he is all alone here with only one knife (well, and with a revolver now) and he can not even make a campfire for himself or build a trap (for some reason in this Rimworld building a campfire require more skills then building an electrical stove for example, or any other piece of furniture – I could never understand it myself), but he said I must leave in the morning. So, I decided to see how sisters live there and possibly stay with them? Monastic life always seemed mysterious to me... let's give it a try!

[attachment deleted due to age]

Grimelord82

An interesting concept. Good luck with it!

Skryabin

Quote from: Grimelord82 on July 22, 2018, 12:22:43 PM
An interesting concept. Good luck with it!
Thank you!

Poppy's Journal
13th of Septober 5500, Spring (3 am)

WHITEROCK CONVENT
That morning I had to leave from Br.Snay, I got food poisoning and he let me stay for one more day. The following morning, I left around 7 am and it took me about four hours to get to Whiterock Convent, where I met Sister Estelle and Sister Albina. For some reason they were not too happy to see me. Sis.Estelle was kind but seemed cautious with me, while Sis.Albina did not like me at all and looked hostile. They gave me obedience at stonecutter's table and the rest of the day I was cutting granite blocks for Sis.Estelle, - she works on construction of our rooms and defenses. When she heard how desperate is the situation with Br.Snay (he convinced me even to take his only ranged weapon to have some protection on my way), Sis.Estelle decided to visit him tomorrow to help with some construction projects and return his revolver to him. Br.Snay is a very nice man: caring for sisters, he sent with me 10 packs of herbal medicine for them, and I noticed how they were touched. Despite his settlement is only four hours away, it is a different biome and things like plants and animals are quite different here and there.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
4th of Decembray 5500, Summer

SISTER ALBINA
I am usually very quiet and kind person, but this constantly depressive btch made me really angry today! All week I was trying to be nice to her despite all her looks and faces. And what do I get in return? She opens her dirty mouth at me! I just lost it and beat all the crap out of her... I agree it was a bit too much, but I do not regret! Instead I even feel better now. Sis.Estelle got very upset about our fight and as soon as Sis.Albina recover her health, she sends both of us to Br.Snay for confession. I hope she keeps her mouth shut until then, especially on our way there. Otherwise I may just kill her! Oh, how am I going to become a nun having such an evil heart?

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
7th of Decembray 5500, Summer

THE ABBESS
When we came to Br. Snay, we found out that he rescued another woman named Klavdiya. He had a deep talk with me and Sis.Albina, teaching us to forgive each other. "There is so much violence and evil in this Rimworld, - he said, - and our mission is to bring at least a little love and good in here. Refrain from any unnecessary violence, especially between each other." Privately he told me later that I must be patient with Sis.Albina because she has kind of mental disease and suffers a lot from depression. Well, I said I'll try my best. He also told us that since now we will call Sis.Estelle our Mother and she will be an Abbess of Whiterock Convent. He sent her this letter with us:

"Dear Mother Estelle,
According to the rules of our Order when community reaches more than three people, an Abbot/Abbess is being appointed to it. I am sending to you a new comer Klaudia and I appoint you to be the first Abbess of Whiterock Sisterhood. Be a good Mother to all your spiritual daughters. Prepare monastic clothes for yourself and Sister Albina. Any new comer may become a novice after one season of testing and become a nun after one year at your discretion.
Asking for your holy prayers,
Brother Snay."

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
15th of Decembray 5500, Summer

IRREPLACEABLE LOSS
We are all in tears!!! Today is the saddest day of my life! Brother Snay died, and I can't believe it! Klavdiya was there at the monastery taming animals when Br. Snay was attacked by a wild fox. She heard his screams from very far away, and when she got there, everything was finished. This crazy animal did not calm down even when he was downed, but it killed him and ate his head. What a horrible death! Klavdiya brought his holy body on the muffalo she tamed, and we buried him here at the Convent in a slate sarcophagus. We all feel like orphans: who is going to guide our souls now? No, no, it wasn't supposed to happen! I can't stop crying, I just can't... And even skies are crying (raining) together with us. Rest in peace our beloved Brother Snay!

sadpickle

Press F to pay respects.

(This is a highly entertaining story/concept btw)

F

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
8th of Aprimay 5501, Fall

RALPH
After the funeral Mother Estelle took me with her to the Monastery. She did not want to leave that place abundant after Br.Snay's death. Meanwhile Sister Albina and Klavdiya stayed there to take care of our Convent. When we arrived at the Monastery, we offered our protection to another lady named Candice chased by a native tribesman. We captured him and in about five days of sitting in our tiny prison, he decided to become a monk. I told Mother Estelle that most likely he will not be able to survive here all alone, especially with his brain injuries – three huge scars disfigured his head. Not being capable of hauling and slowed down in everything he seemed useless to me and I advised Mother to send him away. But she rebuked me very strictly saying that it is not appropriate for a novice to give advises to her Abbess, especially if you are not asked. Then she looked at me kindly and explained that it is our mission here in Rimworld to show mercy and accept everyone who desire to explore monasticism, regardless of his/her condition; and Br.Snay would do the same. "The reason we are here, - she said, - is to give everyone an opportunity to change their life from criminal to holy". This is how Ralph joined our Whiterock Order.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
11th of Aprimay 5501, Fall

OUR NATURE
As soon as Ralph was accepted, I noticed his dirty looks towards Mother Estelle. It is unthinkable, but he was attempting to create a romance with our Abbess! Of course, he was rejected, but I got very angry at him because of that. Next day Mother Estelle and Candice got a flu and I was treating them. Being a doctor, I secretly use better medicine for Mother, and herbal medicine for everyone else. If Mother Estelle would know it, she would forbid me to do that, therefore I keep it secret. The thought that we may lose her as we lost Brother Shay terrifies me. While she was in the bed I opened her my confusion about Ralph's behavior. She said we shouldn't be surprised by such things. "Attraction between men and women is a part of our nature, - she said, - and it is stupid to expect a sudden change from a new comer, especially from such a wild tribesman as Ralph. Our monasticism supposed to raise us above our nature, but it takes a lot of time for one to change. That's why Brother Snay was so strict about living separately from us: as soon as we landed on this planet, he got his knife, ten packaged survival meals, five med packs and left. Everything was so simple those days. Now I must come up with a plan how to do two opposite things at the same time – to teach Ralph monastic life and to stay away from him. Oh, Brother Snay, why did you leave us so early?"

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
14th of Aprimay 5501, Fall

INCAPACITATED REFUGEE
Me and Mother Estelle just left our Convent for a rescue mission. No, no, no – I don't understand her. Our community is a disaster (from colonial point of view): two ladies who are incapable of violence, always depressive Sister Albina and a brain injured tribesman. What a company! It seems like Mother Estelle and I are the only normal people here. And what now? We received a help request and we leave our hopeless people for risky and dangerous journey for several days. No, I do not understand Mother, and I am still very far away from understanding monasticism. It seems to be opposite of survival. Instead of taking care of our own people, we are leaving them to rescue a stranger. And I am really scared, there are only two of us with a muffalo and three cats... what if we will get in ambush? I understand the concept of love as a sacrifice, but it just does not fit in my heart right now... Well, I am a novice. Let's calm down, dear Poppy, and show obedience to our Abbess. Oh, I pray we survive this trip!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
1st of Jugust 5501, Winter

FIGHT FOR MASON
When we arrived at the place we saw that Mason (this was the name of the guy we were trying to rescue) is bleeding to death in the middle of the fortified position. We could see two pirates there and their defenses included one mortar launcher and five turrets. I wanted to go back immediately, but this was not an option. We were running to a safe spot were turrets could not reach and were it was to close for mortar fire, but before we got there they were able to launch a few shots. And then slowly Mother Estelle started to shoot at the mortar and turrets with her long-range bolt action rifle. One of the pirates, seeing their mortar destroyed, attacked us, but we quickly were able to put him down. Unfortunately, there was no way we could approach Mason before we destroyed all the turrets, and while we were shooting at them, he died. Mother said from now on we are not doing to respond for such requests, because it is not just helping someone, it involves attacking other people. And we are not a military unit, we are just poor and peaceful nuns.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
7th of Jugust 5501, Winter

ASH AND OUR CATS
Some time ago out of the blue ten cats came to our Convent. We were playing with them and feeding them, until they delivered eight more kittens. After that Mother Estelle said that it is too much for us and started to think how we can get rid of them. Of course, we didn't want to kill them and finally Mother decided to sell them. She gave her blessing to our new sister Ash (who we rescued from a crash pod several days ago) to visit a friendly base near by and try to sell them. Her journey was going to last for about three days, but she came back the following day with 875 silver in her pockets. She told us that she met another caravan on her way and they gave her all their money (because the full price was 1663). They must be real cat people!.. We also have three Labradors now, two caws, two muffalos and five turkeys. Some of the animals are at the Monastery, where Sister Albina, being an older nun, is helping Ralpf to keep up the Monastery. Something weird is happening in this Rimworld with men: they seem to be a great rarity here!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
9th of Jugust 5501, Winter

EVIL SPIRITS
I can not find another reasonable explanation to what just have happened except that we are being attacked by evil spirits. Why foxes? Do they fit to be their vessels the best? First Brother Snay was killed by a fox and today another fox almost killed Mother Estelle! It can not be just coincidence. They are attacking the head of our community for the second time, the best once. Why they did not attack me? Or Ash? No, they are fighting against our spiritual leaders! We were lucky that this happened very close to the Convent while Mother Estelle was digging compact machinery. We came as quickly as we could and killed the mad fox. Mother was downed, and I carried her to her cell. When I was giving her treatment, I counted fourteen (!) wounds. If we would come just a little later... no I can't even think about this! Tomorrow I will kill all the foxes in the area!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
15th of Jugust 5501, Winter

LIFE AT THE MONASTERY
Today Nun Albina returned from the Monastery to take a part in our First Annual Meeting tomorrow (yes, tomorrow will be exactly one year since she, Mother Estelle and Brother Snay crashed on this planet and founded Whiterock Monastic Order). Sister Albina spent all winter at the Monastery managing life over there by the blessing of Abbess Estelle. She brought a female prisoner with her and told us many interesting stories. This winter was not easy for them. They had to survive extremely low temperatures, fight forest fires and stand against pirate raids. One new sister named Ayana was accepted in the community, but she left her with Ralph, who is still the only man over there and needs some help, mainly with hauling. It seems like this situation with Ralph will be discussed tomorrow the most, because it breaks the rule of the Order about men and women living separately. Let's see what Abbess Estelle and Nun Albina will decide: only nuns will be able to vote on the Meeting. Novices can only participate in discussion. And if two of them will disagree in something, the final decision will be made by the Abbess. I am very excited about how it will go!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
1st of Septober 5501, Spring

PETER
Early morning, when everyone was getting ready for our First Annual Mitting, we received a help request from a man, named Peter. He was chased by pirates and as usually we offered him our help. It was five of them well equipped with auto pistols, one club and one incendiary launcher. We never were attacked by so many raiders before and we got a little scared. But our defenses protected us very well. Two of them died from our granite deadfall traps and the third one was shredded by Ash's frag grenade inside our yard. The other two decided to retreat. All this took about three hours and I was thinking that the Meeting will be rescheduled for tomorrow, but Mother Estelle asked us to clean up and be ready for Meeting this afternoon. No one from us did not get even a single scratch!