Rimworld Monastics

Started by Skryabin, July 21, 2018, 05:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
1st of Septober 5501, Spring (17:00)

FIRST ANNUAL MEETING
Around 14:00 we all gathered in our dining room and the Meeting was called to order. The first thing we discussed was the situation with the Monastery. Mother Estelle said that before this morning raid she was going to temporarily close the Monastery and use it as a Convent Farm, but the providence sent us Peter just a few hours ago. And everyone was agreeing that it was like a miracle. Peter is going to join Ralph, but until they have their own Abbot, the Monastery will stay under supervision of Abbess Estelle. The second business was about the wild animals danger in the area. "You all know, - Mother Estelle said, – that our beloved Brother Snay was killed by a wild fox, and I almost died from it. A cougar killed our poor cow a few days ago. Therefore, I ask everyone to stay behind the walls and do not leave the Convent without my blessing. But even then, make sure you are not doing your work outside alone, but be accompanied by another sister or at least a Labrador!" We discussed a few more minor things and the Meeting was adjourned at 16:00.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
8th of Septober 5501, Spring

TOXIC FALLOUT AND AARON
Chemical fires somewhere near by covered our Convent with toxic fallout two days ago. We moved all our animals indoors and Mother Estelle strictly forbade us to go outside. It was not much to do and we got a little bored until out of this poison sowed up a man named Aaron. He was very funny and with his spicy stories from his past aristocratic life he brought some entertainment in our rather dull life here. This made Mother Estelle a little nervous. Of course she could not send him to the Monastery right away because of this fallout. And she decided to make everyone busy as soon as possible. We all started to build a special guest room for men with its own separate access to food storage. This way any men visiting the Convent can stay isolated and avoid any contact with nuns. And we all started to work on this project. I could not stop smiling from his funny stories, but there was nothing funny in his desire to leave all his past life and dedicate himself for monastic life of the Order. I just could hardly believe he will be able to make such a change. It seemed like those soft hands have never done any useful work. Pure Brother Ralph! I afraid he will get another sponger in his brotherhood.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
10th of Septober 5501, Spring

I AM A NUN!
Today is the happiest day in my life! After one year of testing I became the first nun who was tonsured in this Rimworld! Mother Estelle dressed me up in black monastic clothes and explained me that they are black, because it is the color of mourning for the old Poppy, who spiritually died today. Now the new Poppy was born, and she will not be full of evil like the old one, but she will be good, and she will be bringing the light of love in this spiritually dark and cruel Rimworld. Aaron, who was permitted to stay for my tonsure, made a present for me: a small granite sculpture. It was so ugly that everyone was trying to escape from sharing their opinion on it with him. But you know what? I liked it! He sincerely wanted to make me a present for such an important occasion and I appreciate it. Everything seems me so beautiful now, when my heart is full of joy! Even this awful sculpture with the idea of confinement delivers me a beautiful message of resigning my own will today in favor of holy obedience.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
5th of Decembray 5501, Summer

HEAT WAVE
On the 3rd of Decembray two mad boomalopes attacked the Convent. One of them was shut and exploded in the middle of our garden starting big fire. As we were fighting it, the solar flare has begun, and all this was not enough – almost at the same time an unusual heat wave covered us. We all got in panic. There was no wood to make passive coolers and Mother Estelle immediately contacted the Monastery asking to bring some wood. Peter loaded their new tamed muffalo with 260 units of wood and in the middle of the night he was already in the Convent. But in the morning the sun flare ended. Peter looked very tired. He complained about brothers, especially about Aaron, who doesn't want to do any work except making his useless sculptures and trying to tame animals. As he was trying to tame a muffelo yesturday, he was attached by a wild fox and lost his right pinky. What? We almost jumped in the air with Mother: a wild fox? Again??? And we told him how our beloved Brother Snay was killed by a fox, and how Mother Estelle almost died from it. "I didn't know that", - Peter said. He seemed to be puzzled. Mother Estelle wanted to see everything in the Monastery with her own eyes. She took me, Novice Klavdiya and two our moffalos (together with their lovely newborn baby) and we left for a Monastery visit. I was so glad to escape this terrible heat and to see how the brotherhood is doing, of course!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
6th of Decembray 5501, Summer

SIX BEERS
At the Monastery we helped brothers to build three small guest rooms for ourselves and one more cell for Aaron. He did not change at all and looked like having good time, always joking and smiling, while other two brothers where floating around like small dark clouds overloaded with work. Even Brother Ralph with his brain injury was working hard, but not Aaron; Aaron was taking nice walks in the woods or was banging at his sculptures in the studio and it seemed like he did not notice any askance glances in his direction. To understand how valuable his artwork is, it was enough to see him selling it to a pirate trader for the money enough to by exactly six bottles of beer. But what I must admit - he is not greedy: he immediately shared his beer with us and everyone (except me, because I do not drink at all) got a little drunk. Aaron was laughing louder then everyone, showing his right hand with missing pinky and colorfully explaining how artfully he killed that wild fox...

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
14th of Decembray 5501, Summer

MEMORIAL DAY
At her memorial speech Mother Estelle said: "One year ago at this very day we lost our beloved Brother Snay, who was killed by a wild fox at the Monastery. We did not expect to land on this planet, our mission was to start a monastic Order in Glitterworld. But Providence changed our plans. When three of us crushed down here, it was Brother Snay, who accepted it as a mysterious sign of our destiny. Instead of Glitterworld we founded this Whiterock Order here in the spiritual darkness of Rimworld. And look at us! We have eleven monastics in our community and two nuns were already tonsured here – Poppy and Klavdiya. And this is only beginning! Let us carry our mission of Light here always with the memory of our founder Brother Snay. He will always be for us an example of humility and dedication to the rules of the Order. May his memory be eternal!"

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
15th of Decembray 5501, Summer

BAD THOUGHTS
I am terrible. Mother Estelle must be a holy person and I have bad thoughts about her. She sent me and Sister Ash to the Monastery to dig some compacted machinery for the Convent, because we depleted all our reserves. As soon as we came, Brother Ralph got very sick with plaque. I told Mother through Comms Console about it, and she ran here all night carrying two packs of Glitterworld Medicine for him. Ok, I can understand many things, but not this one. By the time she got here this medicine was not needed (Ralph's immune system was doing well) but what if we had to use it? Some time ago I convinced her to get those three packs for herself. She is our Mother. If something happens with her, what we all going to do? This Glitterworld Medicine was reserved for something important. And now what? How a novice can be more important then the Abbess? I cannot understand it. Or he can? Is this how the true love she is talking about, looks like, - when you sacrifice yourself for your brother? But this "love" is not reasonable... It looks really stupid. I am all confused now, and I am not sure if I will ever be able to do something like that.

Adsixnine

that's interesting. Good luck.  8) 8)

Skryabin

Quote from: Adsixnine on July 29, 2018, 07:34:09 AM
that's interesting. Good luck.  8) 8)

Thank you!

Poppy's Journal
1st of Aprimay 5502, Fall

POOR AARON
Poor Aaron does not look happy anymore. Loosing his right pinky made him a hero, but loosing his nose crushed him to the ground. How did it happen? He was hunting beavers when two of them attacked him. He was very lucky that three of us were there (it happened at the same day when Mother Estelle came with Glitterworld medicine), and we rescued him immediately. Since then he does not smile that much anymore, and everyone is trying to avoid looking at his face: without a nose it looks scary. Maybe his eyes are shining like before with sarcastic grin, but somehow it is impossible to notice now on his disfigured face. Well... every cloud has a silver lining: maybe now he can really forget this deceptive world with its meaningless pleasures to become a true monk!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
3rd of Aprimay 5502, Fall

HEALER MECH SERRUM FOR BROTHER RALPH
Today we got an offer to obtain a Healer Mech Serrum in exchange of 54 units of Gold. Mother decided to get it for Brother Ralph's brain injury. "He is going to become an Abbot in five days, - she said to me secretly, - and he will need his health back for this important obedience". I am going to be a head of the caravan and Sister Larussa and Brother Aaron (as our best shooters) are going to join me. We also are going to take Ares, our male muffalo and a few Labrador pets for sale. We are leaving immediately to pick up Larussa at the Convent and then we will be heading NW to Hacker's Municipalyty of Andaslor Federation. This trip all together should take about seven days. I am very excited! We have never traveled that far before...

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
4th of Aprimay 5502, Fall

ALERT!
After five hours of our traveling I got an emergency message from Mother Estelle: The Convent is being attacked by a strong group of pirates.  It was not appropriate time for us, the best shooters, to leave! Poor sisters are shaking in horror. Two of them are not capable of violence, Mother Estelle is equipped with a sniper rifle (which she just got and did not practice a single shot with it), Nun Albina has poor (35%) autopistole, Sister Ash has frag grenades, Ayana has a pump shotgun, and this 17 years old Emmy (to whom Mother unfortunately offered her protection) is running to the Convent literally naked with five beers in her teenage hands. How did she end up in this situation? Well, we will ask her later, if we survive. We split our caravan immediately and left puzzled Aaron with Ares and poppies, starting our run to the Convent, because those four sisters will not be able to stand against seven well equipped pirates with almost no defenses, - oh why we did not spend some time for making more traps and at least a couple turrets? Mother also called to the monastery, and Brothers Ralph and Peter are running for help as well. My heart is going to jump out from my chest as I am flying through this chilly night towards the Convent!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
5th of Aprimay 5502, Fall

THE HEROES
After about two hours we got a message from Mother Estelle about sister's victory over the raiders. One of the pirates had dementia and got lost far away from the Convent. Mother's sniper shot of course did not work in the dark, but Ayana's pomp shotgun made some damage. Two of them where killed by the traps, and other four got under crossfire at our yard. Ash's frag grenades finished the deal. Everyone is ok, except Ayana who got shot in her leg, but she is going to be fine. All pirates are dead. But the young girl Ammy that joined the Convent in such an extravagant way seems to have alcohol problems and will need a decision being made about it. Anyway, we returned to Aaron and continued our journey.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
10th of Aprimay 5502, Fall

AMMY'S STORY
Our trip went very well. We got a Healer Mech Serrum for Brother Ralph and sold all the poppies. But as soon as we were back I wanted to meet Ammy and hear her story. This is what she told me. She grew up as an apprentice in the foundries of an industrial world. Her master had a weakness for alcohol and taught her not only metalworking, but also to drink beer, so that at her fifteen Ammy already got an addiction. In the back of her mind she understood that this environment will kill her, and one day she secretly snuck into a cargo ship leaving with a load of metal parts to Glitterworld. After 380 years in cryptosleep, the crew found her, and the captain dropped her off in a transport pod on our planet. Suffering from alcohol withdrawal she was ready for desperate actions. Behold, she is sneaking in a pirate's camp in the middle of the night and stealing a case of beer. Soon the pirates realize it and start chasing her. In a few hours they found her drunk in the ruins at Small Sardine Peaks not far from our Convent. Of course, those monsters wanted to abuse poor girl and already ripped off her clothes, but they did not expect she had such strong muscles and such a good reaction (even under alcohol). She pushed away one of them, punched in the stomach another one, and slipping between them, Ammy entered the night absolutely naked with only five bottles of beer in her hands (which she did not want to leave behind). This is how she showed up that night at the Convent being chased by the pirates. After she told this heartbreaking story to Mother Estelle and expressed the desire to change her life, Mother accepted her with only one condition: she is going to quit drinking. And Ammy promised to quit.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
11th of Aprimay 5502, Fall

ABBOT RALPH
At the ceremony of monastic tonsure Ralph was made also an Abbot of Whiterock Monastery. It took almost two years before the Monastery became a fully functional monastic community with its own Abbot. He used the Healer Mech Serrum for healing his biggest scar and it performed a miracle. He still has two minor scars, but he says he feels much better. Aaron got a war vail for himself when we were in Hacker's Municipality, and he wears it all the time now, covering his missing nose. I must admit, it helps a lot. They are leaving right now for the Monastery and all sisters are trying to get his blessing for it is known that the blessing of a newly appointed Abbot has a special grace. We are all going to pray for him and for all the brotherhood!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
3rd of Jugust 5502, Winter

THE ANGEL
Nun Candice is like an angel – she has good relationships with everyone! I have no idea how she can do that; I always get irritated when I see Nun Albina for example (did not like her from our first day) or Ammy (she is a nice girl, but her addiction...) I can't do anything with myself, and I am amazed observing how Sister Candice is kind and patient with everyone. Yes, she is a true nun, not like me, a sinner. She is the only one in our community who was born in Glitterworld and she knows it not by hearsay. She traveled a lot as a reporter and she know how to deal with people: her social skills are very high. That's why Mother Estelle gave her an obedience to be a warden and to communicate with traders. So, when we got this peace talk opportunity form the Orange Mesa Tribe, it was her who Mother Estelle choose to go. Not being capable of any violence though, Sister Candice needed protection. Therefore, Mother sent me and Novice Ayana to accompany her. Our best shooter Larussa after the last raid experience is staying to protect the Convent. She is getting used to her new superior sniper rifle, hunting everything that moves around the Convent. And we are going to leave today...