Rimworld Monastics

Started by Skryabin, July 21, 2018, 05:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
12th of Decembray 5502, Summer

"FUNNY" NEWS
Well the news was not that funny, it is me, a bad girl, who is laughing at something worth crying over. When we returned to the Convent my friend Ash, as usually, told me all the biggest news. The first one was about a fight between Sister Albina and ugly Lemur. Those two I hate the most and therefore it did amuse me, although I understand it is not good to hate anyone and it is not good to laugh at something like that. Especially for a nun. But I just can't help myself: I hated Sister Albina from my first day at the Convent (I even beat her up a little then); and pure Lemur – everyone hates her. The funniest thing is that both are chemically obsessed... they supposed to be the best friends! And the second news was a prison break. Two male Assassins free up themselves late night and absolutely naked showed up in our yard. Sisters reacted immediately, and ugly Lemur put a bullet in one of them, but Mother Estelle stopped everyone. "Let them go, - she said, - If they are running, it is obvious they do not want to join. Just let them go." And they disappeared in the night. Now we have only one young girl in our prison and Sister Candice is opening to her all the beautiful sides of our monastic life.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
14th of Decembray 5502, Summer

THE FLU
When I get sick, I become like a crybaby. Only sad thoughts come to my mind. Because of the flu I was not able to attend the memorial ceremony for Brother Snay: today is two years since his holy head was eaten by that demonic fox. When I think about it, I am starting to weep. Abbot Ralph wanted to come, but he and a few more brothers got this flu as well. And on top of it my neighbor at the hospital insulted me. Some other time I would beat all the shit out of him, but now I am in a very sad mood and only tears are rolling down me cheeks: drip... drip... I am already tired of this flu. Ash visited me and told that Blue got into her pyromaniac thing again. This time it happened away from the Convent and she was left alone until she calmed down in a couple hours. We could say those were fireworks for the memorial day, I guess...

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
8th of Aprimay 5503, Fall

NEW PRIZON
It's been almost a month since my last record and it seems like nothing interesting is happening around. We did a lot of mining, improved some defenses and built six comfortable prison cells; it turned out that we did it very on time. Today brothers Luis and Remy came from the Monastery and brought three female prisoners with them. Abbot Ralph sent them here as soon as they were healed, because he does not want any women at the Monastery, even prisoners, and he said that we also can send male ones to the Monastery when we get them. They said they also have one older lady (who is not capable of walking yet) and two men. All of them were captured during last two raids, one after another at the same day. Twelve people first time, and six the second. They sounded very proud of themselves when they were describing their glorious battles. Abbot Ralph sent us also some wood and four large sculptures made by brother Aaron, and they look excellent; he must be practicing a lot and he is becoming a good artist!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
14th of Aprimay 5503, Fall

UNGRATEFUL BASTARDS
The prisoners did not appreciate our new prison cells. Maybe they did not like the color of the carpet? We put so much work in it lately! Anyway, they started their prison break today around 9:00. By the blessing of Mother Estelle, we did not try to hold them. And this is what happened. One of them went East and escaped successfully. The other one went North and got under our turrets fire; he got a minor hit, but he also was able to escape. Now, the last two young women Emmo and Rush went South through the Convent. And as they were moving through our East defenses, they attacked Sister Candice, who was walking by and began to beat her up. Nun Candice is uncapable of violence and everything she could do is to try running away. Our new novice Emily was nearby and wanted to protect her with the knife, but those women appeared to be very aggressive and started moving towards her. Emmo got in the trap, but Rush attacked Emily and kept moving inside the Convent until three our Labradors jumped on her, digging with their teeth and paws in her body. But even then, she was continuing to fight: she destroyed Ratten's front left paw and nose of Paddington – two young Labradors born about a year ago. Brave Ratten lost the paw protecting his bonded master Emily. I just can't hold the tears from my tender emotions!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
15th of Aprimay 5503, Fall

SISTER'S DISTURBANCE
After that prison break everyone got very emotional, and it seemed like most of all because of Ratten's paw. It always amazes me how we start to cry seeing an animal losing its paw, but we remain cold and hardhearted when the humans lose their limbs. This is exactly what was happening. When ugly Lemur lost her leg, nobody was crying. When Blue lost her arm, everyone was talking only about her prosthophobe – there was no compassion. But now this puppy loses its paw and all the Convent (including me!) becomes restless; sisters are all in tears and they call a meeting to order and discuss our Prisoners Policy with such a zeal, as if they are deciding the destiny of mankind. Mother Estelle was forced to change her approach. We are not going to let our prisoners "just go" if they break from prison – it became too dangerous and may be a threat for our community. Instead we are going to install hidden traps at the prison doors and stop them in case of prison break before they cripple or kill somebody. And I am glad it has been changed. I did not like that spinelessness in the first place: mercy is mercy, but we must proceed from the realities of this Rimworld!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
1st of Jugust 5503, Winter

NEW COMPLAINS
It took two days for Emma (one of those prisoners who got at the trap) to make her decision about becoming a nun. All these two days she spent in her bed while sister Candice (this angel... after they beat her up!) was trying to recruit her, and as soon as she said she will stay, we found out that her spine was shattered, and she can't move at all. This news stirred up our sisterhood again and many sisters were saying that we must also change the way we accept new sisters as we just changed the Prisoners Policy yesterday. Why we should feed those who does not work? And they questioned the sincerity of her intentions when she basically did not have any other choice. Those rumors have reached Mother Estelle and at the dinner she spoke to all the sisters in a very strict manner, saying that everyone must remember why we became monastics and that our mission of love and compassion should be like a light in this cruel Rimworld. "If anyone wants to leave, you can leave. – She said – But if you stay, please, follow the holy rules of our Order and do not forget that we are not just a regular colony. We are the monastic settlement. And since today we are opening the hospice for disabled and elderly and this will be one of the ministries of our Convent". Everyone left the dinner in silent meditation about something sublime and mysteriously incomprehensible.

Skryabin

[Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering mod installed]
[A Dog Said... mod installed]

Poppy's Journal
3rd of Jugust 5503, Winter

NEW OBEDIENCE
Brother Peter came today with a new brother Susumu, who's right leg was missing, and Mother Estelle called us with Sister Klavdiya in her cell and gave us new obedience. Since we decided to open a hospice, she thinks it is a clever idea to learn more about medicine. Sister Klavdia and me, as the best doctors, are going to learn advanced surgery methods and prosthetics design. She introduced us to Brother Susumu and said that soon we will be able to make a real prosthetic leg for him. And meanwhile under Sister Klavdiya's guidance I will install him my first ever peg leg. Brother Peter was very happy to hear this news and expressed his hope that other brothers may be healed as well, because, as he said, up to now from ten brothers in the Monastery he is the only one without any injuries or diseases. "I feel myself like in a polyclinic, not like in a monastery!" – he laughed. But Brother Susumu did not even smile for some reason. Brother Peter also told us how beautiful it is at the Monastery – everything covered with snow! Although it is very cold. Abbot Ralph ordered ten parkas for all the brothers, because it seems like every winter they have a cold snap.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
6th of Jugust 5503, Winter

HATRED
I did not expect it to happen so fast, but here we are: today I installed a prosthetic leg for Susumu, first time in my life. Now I am a surgeon! But my joy is spoiled: next operation is scheduled for ugly Lemur and my hands are starting to shake when I only think about it. My anger against her is enormous. When she walks by I barely can hold myself from insulting or even pushing her! This is so bad, I feel like I cannot control myself. I am like a slave of my passion: it leads me wherever it wants. Now I feel like I have over 90% of this hatred towards Lemur, and what is going to happen if it gets to 100? Am I going to kill her? And what about love? How can I be like that wearing these monastic clothes? No, I am absolutly unworthy to be a nun. Probably it will be right thing to just leave the Convent and return to the world... Oh, here we go, I am starting to cry again. Are those the tears of repentance?

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
7th of Jugust 5503, Winter

RESTLESS RUSH
I can't believe it, but after eight days this... not good lady Rush (I'm trying to avoid using bad words) breaks the doors and tries to escape again! But this time we were ready for that. First, she gets into a trap installed at her door: it cracks her left clavicle and hits her ear and shoulder. She is bleeding a little and keeps moving West towards the center of the Convent. At the doors Sister Ammy meets her with the fire of her pump shogun, but she misses and steps back. When Rush enters the inner yard, one handed Blue fires in her from machine pistole, but also misses. Rush keeps moving, until Sister Lemur discharges her pump shotgun in her. It hits her in the leg and really slows her down. Sister Blue fires again and Rush falls to the ground. Sisters, resenting that Rush is still wearing her armor vest and power helmet, strip her right there, and Sister Ammy takes her naked back to the cell. And it was -22C outside. When Mother Estelle heard about it, she was very upset and asked sisters to unstrip prisoners in their cells next time. Later I learned that during all this cold snap we completely forgot to turn on the heat in the Rush's cell and she was staying there at -20C. Maybe this cold drove her crazy, but everyone say we didn't do it intentionally, we just forgot, as we forgot to take of her armor and helmet...

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
8th of Jugust 5503, Winter

FRIENDS
Mother Estelle visited Rush in the morning and learned that she was from the same world as Brother Aaron and they even met before. She invited Brother Aaron to come at the Convent as soon as possible and meet with Rush, because she had a feeling that meeting with an old friend may soften her heart. Mother Estelle always say that those who seem to be the most difficult souls may become the most precious once. And indeed, to everyone's surprise, Brother Aaron convinced Rush to stay at the Convent. When sisters later were asking him how he was able to do that, he was mostly joking about it, but said that she made her final decision when she learned about her paralyzed friend. And, of course, my inspiration closed the deal, - he was smiling with his blue eyes (the rest of his face was covered by the war vail). And I thought that it would be very nice to make him a new nose, since I am a surgeon now. I should ask Sister Klavdiya if she is familiar with plastic surgery... I imagine how Brother Aaron will be surprised if we will be able to do it!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
1st of Septober 5503, Spring

THIRD ANNUAL MEETING
Mother Estelle made her report about the Convent: we have fifteen sisters now – eleven nuns and four novices. Abbot Ralph could not come, because of a manhunting pack of wild Labradors at the doors of the Monastery. But he sent his report to the Meeting: they have ten brothers – two monks and eight novices. So, the Order has twenty-five monastics total. Not a single person was lost except our beloved Brother Snay (may his memory be eternal!) Then the Meeting was discussing a petition from our new sisters Rush and Emma (whose bionic spine was just installed). They were asking for the blessing to move a little away from the Convent for more ascetical life in the caves of cryptosleep hall mountain. The discussion was opened, and some sisters spoke against it, because Rush and Emma are just novices and not experienced in monastic life; others were saying that this is the meaning of monasticism – to depart from comfort, and if someone wishes to live a solitude life of struggles, they should go for it. Mother Estelle warned them that in the caves there is a big chance of new infestations (we had two already), but Rush said they are not afraid of those and will fry them up with Molotov. Finally, Mother Estelle gave her blessing for it and said that the Convent will provide them raw food only and they should stay there in complete solitude for one year. I am not surprised they want to stay away from us – everyone is looking hostile at them after their recent prison breaks and even Ratten is always growling at Rush when she is passing by: he did not forgot who destroyed his paw and tail.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
12th of Septober 5503, Spring

THE END OF PEACEFUL TIMES
Finally, we got a raid. First one last summer (three seasons ago)! And it seems like our peaceful times are coming to the end. Monastery had a few raids, and our abundant site (rumors say) was visited often by raiders, but we were enjoying peace and quiet. Up until now. Everybody is exited and scared at the same time. Abbot Ralph is visiting us with novice Sora; he was going to make him a monk today. Now they are operating our two mortars. And I am finishing this sentence, taking my bolt action rifle and running to our defensive positions. There are thirteen very well armed pirates of The Black Gorillas. If I will not return from this fight, whoever find this journal, please, hand it to Abbess Estelle, or give it to the Convent library. And, please, pray for my lost soul!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
12th of Septober 5503, Spring (afternoon)

COMBAT RAGE
I am so exited! I am feeling like going after those pirates to their outpost and wipe it out of the planet! They are not that scary; we scared them away! After a few more unsuccessful shots, another high-explosive shell landed in their crowd. So, when they started their attack, they left behind three dead bodies and one man downed. Five of them went North to our East Defensive Position well protected with three turrets, and four started to move towards a narrow opening, where we all were aiming our guns. A man with LMG showed up and he was very much surprised with number of bullets we sent towards him. He turned back, but momentarily fell to the ground dead. Another desperate woman wearing a power belt made it to our lines, but what she could do all by herself? The other two pirates decided to join the main group. We all ran to our East position, where a sniper was already targeting one of our turrets. But when another guy got in our trap, they decided to retreat and started to flee. None of us got a single scratch! We tried to capture their general, who was downed, but unfortunately, he died right after we put him in the bed. The conclusion? They used very stupid tactics. If they would stay in one group they'd have more chances I think. Well, I can't wait now for another raid! Although probably I should calm down and return to my monastic prayers. (Deep breath in and out.)

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
14th of Septober 5503, Spring

AT THE HOSPITAL
Nothing serious. Just bruises all over my body and two cracks in my leg: our new novice beat me up. Her name is Doyle. I just said one innocent joke about her looks at Ash's cell and she jumped on me with her furious fists. I've never seen such a jealous person in my life. I couldn't even fight her properly, because I was upset about Emma. When I was leaving the raw rice for our two cave hermits, Rush spoke to me from behind the door (we are not allowed to go inside). She said that it's been only five days of their seclusion and Emma is not doing well at all. She is constantly in depression and now even in a mental break (daze). She asked me as a doctor if I can help with that? But what can I do? This is not body, where you can install a prosthetic part instead of a missing one. This is the soul. I told her that maybe this kind of life is not for her, despite she has ascetic intentions. And coming down to the Convent I was thinking that it would be better for Emma to return to normal life with all the sisters, when I saw those jealous eyes of Sister Doyle. Well, now Mother Estelle has a new punishment for those who fight at the Convent. Together with Doyle we will go for a mining trip and will spent one week together. Mother thinks that going through all the struggles of the journey will help us to improve our relationship. Well, well only if we will not kill each other over there. We must leave as soon as we will be healed.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
15th of Septober 5503, Spring

RESOURSES ORDER
Emma came back to normal after fifteen hours in restrains. Mother Estelle invited her to have a little refreshment time with sisters, and I was chatting with her about staying in the Convent for good, but she wants to return to the caves this afternoon. Then Mother Estelle came to me and handed me a piece of paper with following:
"Simple prosthetic leg for Lemur (peg leg) -55 steel, 25 plasteel, 3 Components
Simple prosthetic arm for Blue (no arm) - 55 steel, 25 plasteel, 3 Components
Simple prosthetic leg for Rbecca (peg leg) - 55 steel, 25 plasteel, 3 Components
Surrogat heart for Rebecca (major artery blocage) - 25 plasteel, 3 Components
Light receptor for Louis (for byonic eye) - 25 plasteel, 1 Component
Byonic eye for Louis (20% eye) -45 plasteel, 3 Components
Nose for Aaron (missing nose) - 20 plasteel
Total: 165 steel, 200 plasteel and 16 Components"

She said Abbot Ralph gave his blessing for Louis to go with us, because the Monastery wants to order two expansive operations as well. "Any other valuable resources are welcomed, - she said. – And, please, remember that the main goal of this mining trip is repentance and improving your relationship with Sister Doyle." She reminded me that I am an older nun and I must show good example. She appointed me to be a head of the group and we are going to leave today.