Rimworld Monastics

Started by Skryabin, July 21, 2018, 05:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
6th of Jugust 5504, Winter

LUST FOR POWER
When we returned to the Convent with sisters Ayana and Rebecca, we learned a news which started a big temptation in my head. A day ago, there was a raid of eight pirates and it did not seem dangerous, and was defeated easily, except one incident: sister Albina got a bullet in her head. She did not die, but after this trauma her behavior has been changing significantly. She does not talk anymore, and it seems like she does not hear either, because she is not responding to anything. Instead she started to work really fast, but it seems very weird as if she is living in her own world now. And here is the temptation. Sister Albina is the oldest sister (by tonsure) after Mother Estelle. And according to Order rules if Abbess dies, the older sister becomes a new Abbess. But since Sister Albina got this kind of brain injury, she will not be able to be an Abbess. And this means that the next candidate is me. Well, Mother Estelle is only 26 and her health is perfect, but very strange and sneaky feelings started to entangle my heart. What is it? I've never even thought about being an Abbess before and look at me: there has been a snake sleeping inside of my soul and now it is starting to wake up.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
7th of Jugust 5504, Winter

NEWS ABOUT ASCETICS
A bulk goods trader of Haten named Timothy visited our Convent with his caravan today and he told us about our disobedient hermits. He met Rush at about 10 days journey from here towards South. She has a small camp and she is staying there by herself. She told Timothy about her friend Emma, who died from infection caused by untreated Labrador bites. She was downed by a wild dog and Rush couldn't help her even with elementary treatment, because she is not capable of doing any medical work at all! Now she is there alone, and Timothy said that in his opinion it is just a matter of time – there is not a single chance she can survive, not being able to help herself even with minor health problems. We were so grieved about Emma! It seemed like she left the Convent only because of strong influence of Rush and now... she is dead. Her death will remain on Rush's conscience. And just now we got a call from Sister Larussa (they are delivering a prosthetics order to a nearby base) that Blue went on a fire-starting spree again in the middle of their trip! Oh, those pyromaniacs! You can never trust them! I hope it will not cause another death...

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
8th of Jugust 5504, Winter

KIDNAPPING
When the mining team offered safety to Nicole, they did not think it is going to be such a crowd of raiders chasing her. Eight pirates showed up soon. But even with Nicole it was four vs eight, and they did not have any defenses. Very soon all three of them were downed and Nicole was hiding in the dinning room. She prepared for pirate's assault, but it was suspiciously quiet. She looked outside and gasped: Yana and Sora were gone. She ran outside and saw how pirates were carrying them away. Some of the raiders were still in the camp and she shot one more pirate, downed another one and started to chase the thieves. But they were already far away. Luckily, Suicidal attacked one of the kidnappers and he let Sora go, but Yana was carried away forever. With the blessing of Mother Estelle, I am leaving right now to provide them medical help.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
10th of Jugust 5504, Winter

POLAR BEARS
This manhunter pack of three polar bears is really crazy. How did they get here? We are so far from both South and North poles... I would love to hear their story! Anyway, we decided to hide in the dinning room and wait out. There are enough tragedies for this mining site. We got over 10000 of Steel, a lot of Plasteel and Components, but the price we had to pay for all this is too high: Lidia died, Yana was kidnapped, and Louis lost his left hand. Plus, this scandal with Ayana and Louis... So much harm to our community for obtaining just some resources? It doesn't make sense to lose people and body parts for making a few prosthetics. If I would be an Abbess, I would think twice, before... Oh! Look at yourself, Poppy! What's going on in your head? Truly it is from idleness those stupid and dangerous thoughts are coming to your head. I am just a nun... I am just a nun... I am just a nun...

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
14th of Jugust 5504, Winter

NIGHT WORRIES
When we returned to the Convent, we had barely enough rooms for everyone to stay. All sixteen sisters were here now, plus Abbot Ralph and Brother Peter, who came for our Fourth Annual Meeting. In the middle of the night we got a call about a huge raid of eleven pirates at the Monastery. Abbot Ralph was very excited; he was touching the edge of his Abbot's hat in anxiety and was repeating: "There are only six of them, who can fight, there are only six of them..." Mother Estelle was calming him down, saying that their defenses are strong, and everything will be fine. This is what we learned later. The pirates did not attack immediately, but they started to prepare at their spot north of the Monastery. Aaron went there hoping to get one of them with his sniper rifle, but they noticed him and three their snipers opened the fire before he even saw them. He was lucky to be downed from one bullet hitting his right leg. Otherwise those three guys would shred him to pieces. Brother Victor made a desperate attempt to save him, but snipers noticed him as well and he had to retreat. Soon they started their attack, killing brothers' Husky and a Labrador puppet (damn knackers!). But when they got to the turrets everything happened very quickly: four of them were downed (and captured later) and three were killed. At the time of attack at their South defenses, Troy, who is incapable of violence, rescued Brother Aaron. This way everyone stayed alive. Jacob got a few bruises from sniper rifle (one of the snipers was able to get to their line) and Wade got a few burns from incendiary launcher explosion. We returned to our cells relieved: it was a clear victory.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
1st of Septober 5504, Spring (13:00)

FOURTH ANNUAL MEETING
Part I: The Lovers

Mother Estelle and Abbot Ralph made their reports, saying that the community of Whiterock Order is growing: twenty-nine monastics: fourteen men and fifteen women. However, the scandal of fall between Nun Ayana and Novice Louis must be addressed as strict as possible to prevent such failures in future and to provide an educational punishment. Abbot Ralf offered to banish the sinners for good. But such decision, according to the Order Rules must be made by the majority votes and most of us were against such radical measure. Finally, everyone agreed to take off from Ayana her monastic clothes for a period of one year, and for the same period Louis' monastic tonsure will be postponed. This time will be given to them for repentance and on the next Annual Meeting they will have to confess their condition and the final decision on them will be made. Obviously, they are not being held at the community by force and they are free to leave any time. In the future any contacts between men and women in the Order will be minimalized and there will be no shared missions. Poor Ayana did not lift her eyes up and was only nodding with repentance. Louis is still at the mining site and I am afraid even to imagine his meeting with Abbot Ralph.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
1st of Septober 5504, Spring (14:00)

FOURTH ANNUAL MEETING
Part II: Mission to Glitterworld

The second part of the Meeting was devoted to building a ship. Mother Estelle reminded everyone about the original purpose of their trip with Brother Snay and Sister Albina four years ago, when they crashed on this planet: they were heading to Glitterworld. "Now, – she said, - we became strong enough to start building the space ship, which will let us to continue our original mission." It was decided that I am going to be, - as the oldest sister after the Abbess (since Albina has trauma savant), - the head of this project. I will have to find a please for starport, make all necessary calculations and lead the project. A lot of research must be done for building a ship and Abbess Estelle asked Abbot Ralph if they will be able to help with it. But Abbot Ralph waved his hand and said: "Not with intellectual work – we are all dumb idiots. We will try to help with getting resources instead." Many sisters started to giggle, but Abbot Ralph did not look joking, and everyone became silent, trying to figure out what does it mean if this is not a joke. After a ship will be built, twelve people (six sisters and six brothers) will be chosen by casting lots and they will carry the teaching of our Order to Glitterworld, founding over there a Monastery and a Convent.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
3rd of Septober 5504, Spring

CALL FROM RUSH
Unexpectedly we got a call from Rush. She asked for Mother Estelle and she was apologizing for everything and asking forgiveness from all the sisters for judging and condemning everyone. She used a portable comm device, which Sister Candice gave to Emma before they left. Rush had a raid of one woman pirate with Molotov; she got some burns, but killed the raider with her bolt action rifle.  What was much worse is that she got very sick with plague right after that, and she is getting ready for death, because she can't treat herself and there is no one around who could help her. So, she decided to lighten her soul before she died. Mother Estelle was touched by her repentance and asked if someone from our doctors would like to volunteer helping her. Out of our six doctors only three were suitable for such a trip: me, Larussa and Nicole. And we all were ready to go. But Mother choose Larussa, saying that I must concentrate on the ship project, and Nicole is too unexperienced for that. We are going to launch Sister Larussa in a transport pod and she will stay there with Rush as long as it will be needed.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
6th of Septober 5504, Spring

STARPORT
Two Mechanoid raids were repelled, - one at the Convent and one at the Monastery at the same day on Septober 4th. We got off with some minor injuries: our turrets did their job. I had a conversation with Mother Estelle, asking her how am I going to lead the Ship Building Project if I am not capable of any intellectual work? She smiled and said: "You do not need any intellect for management; you just have to find smart people and tell them what to do." I showed her the place I thought was suitable for our future Starport, and she liked it. In afternoon they already started to lay down the concrete foundation for it. We also relocated our Research Lab to a bigger room and started to build one more Hi-tech Research Bench. Mother Estelle herself and Sister Klavdiya will help Candice with all research projects from now on. It feels good to oversee such an important project, but I am not sure if this feeling is correct. I find it more difficult now to keep my thoughts in the borders of humility. But what can I do? Obedience is obedience. At least, I wasn't looking for it myself.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
10th of Septober 5504, Spring

COGUAR MADNESS
It is hard to realize what just happened. A huge pack of eighteen Coguars attacked the Convent. We prepared to shoot at them at our North defenses, but they moved so fast that we barely could make only one volley, which did not do much harm to them. In panic everyone started to run back inside the Convent. Now we realized that we have to build doors there – those beasts were like a lightening! Sister Nicole did not even have time to step backs, as Coguars knocked her down. Other sisters were able to escape inside, except little Emmy – she was downed at the doorway. Through the open doors Coguars broke into the Convent and attacked sisters Rebecca and Doyle. Doyle started to fight one of them and Coguar first stuck its teeth in her side, and then scratched her neck with its claws so badly that she dyed right there. Meanwhile Rebecca grabbed Ammy hoping that this will help to close the door and started to move towards hospital. But the door stayed open because of Ammy's LMG in the doorway (how stupid!), letting more and more Coguars inside the Convent yard. Very quickly they caught up with her and in a moment, she dropped Ammy and was downed herself. This horror lasted for five hours. Five sisters, including Mother Estelle, are seriously injured. Three more got some minor wounds. And poor Doyle is dead. Where those animals are coming from in such big packs, and why are they so mad? This question, I guess, I must address to the creator of this Rimworld!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
11th of Septober 5504, Spring

DOYLE'S FUNERAL
Death is like a pair of glasses which can change our vision. You look at someone and many feelings fill your heart concerning this person, good or bad, but as soon as this person dies, everything changes. You still may cry about your loss, or even be glad about your enemy's death, but the fact that this person is not in this world anymore calms down and softens every thought concerning him/her. Doyle did not like me for some reason. A year ago, we even got in fight, but our Relationship Improving Mining Trip (which is still running with another shift – it is unbelievable how long it takes!) helped me a lot. I defeated my anger that time despite she kept abusing me, and I did not react at this kid seriously; poor Doyle, she was only 18, Space Refuge, and she spent in the Convent a little less then one year. She had to become a nun tomorrow! What a fate! We buried her next to Sister Ash at our Sister's Cemetery. Two sarcophagi next to Brother Snay inside the Convent are prepared for Mother Estelle and Sister Albina: there will be Three Founders Memorial. It is raining today, and Mother Estelle is still at the hospital.

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
15th of Septober 5504, Spring

ASCETIC'S REPENTANCE
We have just received a call from Sister Larussa: Rush defeated the plague and she wants to return to the Convent. Death is not only changing our vision but looking in its eyes may change your heart! It seems like finally Rush humbled herself and the rebellious ascetics chapter has been finished. The price thought we must pay for understanding some things is often very high: Emma is dead, and nothing can return her now. They are going to bring her remains to be buried at the Sister's Cemetery: Mother Estelle insisted on that. They are also bringing a prisoner from Orange Mesa, who attacked them a few days ago and was captured. Also, she said they are bringing a bunch of Chickens, which joined them yesterday. They are going to leave as soon as Berro, - this is the name of the imprisoned woman, - feels better after she was beaten up by Sister Larussa when she wanted to escape last night.

Adsixnine

interesting concept. Good luck with it!

Skryabin

Quote from: Adsixnine on September 02, 2018, 12:05:01 AM
interesting concept. Good luck with it!

Thank you!

Poppy's Journal
2nd of Decembray 5504, Summer

SIGN FROM THE SKY
We all got very scared today! A huge tornado visited our Convent. It came from the North, making our northern turrets disappear, destroyed two benches in the Prosthetics Lab and then went straight to the grave of Brother Snay. It destroyed his sarcophagus and gently placed his holy remains right there on marble flagstone. After that the tornado turned back North-East, damaged two cells and faded away. Everyone was amazed by this mysterious visitation. All the sisters got in the line to venerate the holy remains of Brother Snay, the founder of Whiterock Order, and Mother Estelle said that this was not just a simple tornado; this was a reminder for all of us about our high calling in this Rimworld. Since the old slate sarcophagus was destroyed, Mother Estelle first, from the fullness of her feelings, wanted to make a new sarcophagus out of gold. But Sister Candice accurately reminded her how, according to her very words, modest and non-acquisitive Brother Snay was. "Yes, yes, - repeated Mother Estelle in disarray, - we will make it from silver... not, we will make it from jade." And we saw how tears started to run down her cheeks. It was a very unusual day!

Skryabin

Poppy's Journal
3rd of Decembray 5504, Summer

UNCONVENTIONAL SOLUTION
Sisters Larussa and Rush had problems with carrying the remains of Emma to the Convent. It is more then five days trip and Emma's weight was too much for them to lift up. They were trying to tame an alpaca, but there was no success with it. Mother Estelle was asking if someone wants to go and deliver them a muffalo, when Sister Candice said: "Why should we lose so much time? Let's just send them a muffalo in transport pod. Everyone was shocked at first by such unconventional thought, and then we started to discuss it; we did not even know if a muffalo will fit in transport pod. Finally, we decided to try it, but the muffalo got scared and did not want to go inside the pod. And then Sister Ayana lifted it up and carried all the way to the Starport area; I have never thought she is so strong! Muffalo fitted in the pod perfectly and soon it was already at their camp. I can't stop wondering how smart those intellectuals are! Especially Sister Candice: she seems to be the smartest one.