[MOD] (Alpha 6) Trap Pack (v .45) -Now compatible with Apparello's gas-masks!

Started by superpirson, June 10, 2014, 05:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superpirson

Trap Pack

This mod adds some simple little booby traps to the game.
Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2qf0v4ls9339dt2/RimWorld-Mod-TrapPack-.zip
Also get Apparello, Highly recommended and fully compatible:
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5085.0
What It Adds:

• Pit Traps - they can be dug into soil but not sand, that trap and severely injures animals and pawns stupid enough to walk over them. They can be deconstructed in order to remove them once they are tripped.
  • FireBombs - crude improvised explosives which rarely produce a lethal explosion. They sometimes start fires, so they can help if you place enough of them!
  • Basic Contact Mines - they explode violently when stepped on. they start out disarmed, so you don't kill yourself building them.
  • Smart Mines - they explode violently when stepped on by anyone who isn't a colonist. quite expensive and hard to build.
  • Incendiary mines - They set fires on top of mildly injuring any passers by!
  • Electrified Floor - they emit painful zaps, while briefly stunning victims in order to assure further painful zaps.
  • throwable caltrops - pick up the bag just like you would pick up a belt of grenades, and throw them in the same way!
  • Armored and sunken power conduits - you'll never worry about blackouts mid-battle again!
  • Kindling - just assorted dry wood, spread upon the ground. Great for creating sudden violent fires to block off enemies.
  • Trap Making Table - Used to build Electronics and assemble mines, as well as make caltrop bags for throwing caltrops
  • Electronics - Electronics are now required for almost all traps, they cost 20 silver and 5 metal to manufacture at the Trap Making Table
  • Explosives Refinery - table used to make Explosives out of Fire fruit.
  • Fire Fruit - a new toxic fruit that is inedible. it can be grown like berries or any other plant. used to make explosives at the Explosives Refinery.
  • Explosives - you have to manufacture explosives at an Explosives Refinery to be able to assemble mines at the trap making table. They cost 5 Fire Fruit to make.
  • Poison - using large quantities of berries, a powerful poison can be produced. it can be used in gas bombs.
  • Poison Gas Bomb - gas your enemies! Also try to not gas your colonists!
  • Nitrogen Gas Bomb - this device dissipates non-toxic gas, which can be used to put out fires.
  • Shaped Charge Fragmentation Bomb - a powerful explosive that shoots deadly metal in one direction, useful for breaching walls and killing protected foes.
  • Claymore Mine - this ancient bomb fires deadly shrapnel at anyone unlucky enough to approach it's activation area two tiles in front of it.
  • Gas Mask - a simple peace of head-ware that protects the lungs from toxic gas.  Get Apparello, these gas masks are will remain in to try to not break compatibility, but will be removed later.
And that's it for now. I have a lot of ideas on what I want to add, but I want to know what you guys want first. Please share your ideas and feed back. See below for the to-do list.

Todo:

• Arrow traps that shoot from walls
  • Primitive, easy to build traps
  • what ever else you guys ask for! Make a suggestion

Please just say if you have problems, I will try to help as much as possible.
Known Issues:

• Fire effect sometimes gets really huge after being extinguished by nitrogen gas. (nitrogen gas may have accidentally been replaced by hydrogen) please report it here if you get this!

Credits:

• Superpirson: code, xml, other textures
  • Somz: claymore, refinery, electronics, FireFruit, shaped charge frag, gas bomb, firebomb, and explosives texture, as well as may others in the works! Huge thanks to him.
License
this mod is released under the zlib License, meaning you can basically modify anything you want. The restrictions are: (according to wikipedia)
The authorship of the original software must not be misrepresented,
Altered source versions must not be misrepresented as being the original software, and
The license notice must not be removed from source distributions.

Testimonials
        "It's a trap!" -Admiral Ackbar
        "I have never had my limbs blown off so cleanly, TrapPack gets a thumbs up!" -Popular Mine Critic

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
specs: mid2009 MBP OSX 10.9.3 NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Garen

i actually like the arm/disarm for mines, have it so they need to do some research something like (safe explosives), this allows them to build a Trap controller that allows you to arm or disarm any mines in a certain area.

for pit traps you're just gonna have to guide them round

the electrified floors and other mines sound awesome, maybe a sensor which triggers some mini-turret too

superpirson

Quote from: Garen on June 10, 2014, 09:16:52 PMsnip

for a sensor, that will probably take some time. I recommend the power switch mod: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2890.0
for turrets, I updated the turrets pack here: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2349.0;attach=2522
thread for more info: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2349.0

on the topic of pits, I really don't like guiding my colonists around, but if you think it works I suppose I can keep it.

PillowTalk420

Could you make it so that colonists can't pass through them, but enemies can? If the proximity range is only directly on top of the device, that should keep them from pathing over it.

superpirson

Quote from: PillowTalk420 on June 22, 2014, 12:36:05 AM
Could you make it so that colonists can't pass through them, but enemies can? If the proximity range is only directly on top of the device, that should keep them from pathing over it.
This is a great idea, and one I have spent many hours trying. unfortunately, the pathing system is quite separate from the faction system. I have not yet found a way to do thus without causing crazy bugs. I would really want to hear about it if anyone has solved this problem.

I think I might set up a system like in powerswitch mod, where proximity to enemies arms some sort of switch. For the electrified floor, i suggest you just get powerswitch mod for now.

My current solution will be to make the pit traps primarily for hunting, and only trigger for small anamals. For the mines, With the exception of the smart mines, I kinda want to keep a bit of danger in them. otherwise players may just festoon their bases with them, and they would be totally broken.

Also, I have majorly improved the effects for the next update, but the mod is now too big to upload on the forums. I may have to start using a download site, anyone have any recommendations?

Tynan

Quote from: superpirson on June 22, 2014, 01:55:32 PM
Quote from: PillowTalk420 on June 22, 2014, 12:36:05 AM
This is a great idea, and one I have spent many hours trying. unfortunately, the pathing system is quite separate from the faction system. I have not yet found a way to do thus without causing crazy bugs. I would really want to hear about it if anyone has solved this problem.

You're basically correct that there's no 'real' way to do this without modifying the path finding algorithm, which you don't have access to. Sorry :P
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mrofa

You could use part of the code from Fire
private void RecalcPathsOnAndAroundMe()
{
IntVec3[] adjacentSquaresAndInside = GenAdj.AdjacentSquaresAndInside;
for (int i = 0; i < adjacentSquaresAndInside.Length; i++)
{
IntVec3 b = adjacentSquaresAndInside[i];
IntVec3 intVec = base.Position + b;
if (intVec.InBounds())
{
Find.PathGrid.RecalculatePerceivedPathCostAt(intVec);
}
}
}

Turning this on when thers no enemy in range, but its just my theory, and it would be more a workaround than the solution if it work :)
Also another workaround is to change <passibility> if there are enemies
Kinda like self arming, or you can also make them arm themselfs by a button
All i do is clutter all around.

Tynan

The problem with the fire solution is that it applies to all pawns, so enemies will avoid the traps if there is any possible way around them.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mrofa

Yehh thats why turning it on when thers no enemy around.
Yes i know my english sux :D
All i do is clutter all around.

superpirson

I've finally decided to get serious and try to keep a proper change-log. here goes:

• added preliminary effect to electrified floors, will refine further
  • Throwable caltrops now implemented. bags of caltrops should spawn with the raiders, throw them to place them around.
  • small modifications for balance.

feedback is always appreciated.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do the electric shock effect in a nicer way? additionally, how is the balance? are the floors using too little power for their effect? too much?

RGchym

Un jour, je serais grand ! Et grand sera ce jour !

(  Sry for my english :/   )

Woyzeck

Is there a way to make a turret the enemy won't automatically attack? If so make the mines turrets, with a very short range (say one square) and an explosive projectile. Hostile wanders too close, mine fires, explosion destroys mine.

superpirson

Quote from: Woyzeck on July 08, 2014, 05:02:25 PM
Is there a way to make a turret the enemy won't automatically attack? If so make the mines turrets, with a very short range (say one square) and an explosive projectile. Hostile wanders too close, mine fires, explosion destroys mine.
what is this in response to? if this is about the issue of having mines that colonists won't walk over, then I am afraid this would not solve it.

superpirson

Hello again! I am back with more goodies!
I really need help with the balancing in this mod, so if you could give me some impressions on how gameplay went, I would really appreciate it!
Changelog:

• added armored and sunken power conduits. both are major improvements over the unmodded power conduits, and both are extremely expensive.
  • improved the electrified floor's effect. it is now constrained to it's own square
  • fixed major issue with the electrified floor discharging excessively after being armed.
  • fixed the obscenely high cost of the incendiary mines.
  • added research defs for the new conduits

AstronauticalFerret

I'm gonna run tests with this mod today. If I find any bugs I'll inform you :)