Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveAdamo

Quote from: staffy50 on October 20, 2013, 04:17:46 PM
If you get the assassin class, they cannot do anything but fight and firefight. But without any patrol setting they just stand about :/
oh, good point! i've seen a few LPs where they end of with captured units that are really only good at fighting... being able to capitalize on this would certainly help, and make the conversion of those prisoners more worthwhile...

Quote from: staffy50 on October 20, 2013, 04:17:46 PMA weapons bench where you can modify weapons. Add a scope for more range etc.
this sounds very interesting... perhaps we dont have direct control over the improvements to be had (makes the idea a little "cheaper"), but simply use materials in the process, roll the dice, and see what results... small chance of damaging/destroying the weapon, etc.

Noxmutagen

Id like to second weapon mods as a cheap idea. Or a crafting bench of sorts. Please.

TvoEx

Now i have skimmed over the past 13 pages. And i have seen blast door a couple of times, Which i like.

But what i really think is needed is a *Reinforced wall. Some kind of really strong wall that is fire proof and explosive resistant, and as a penalty, does not conduct power.

So i found a pretty good approach to avoid a ridiculous amount of bodies piling up. Don't fight at all.

I tried sealing all of my colonists in my self contained bunker but the walls are still exposed to the outside. So Raiders keep setting them on fire, throwing Molotov's and being usual raiders. If you just keep repairing the walls and putting the fires out they end up getting either bored and leave or go insane. Grenades however are a problem.

On a different note. My junkyard is pretty huge, As in slag and other debris just keeps piling up. I would like some way of using that junk for at least something. Like a *Recycling station. Converts junk like slag to small amounts of metal.

Some other ideas that sound cheap but aren't really cheap.

*Equipment Fabricator. Can make equipment and weapons from metal and power. (I think this has been suggested before, if so. Ignore this.)

Way more furniture and other things that boost morale around the colony. Doesn't even have to be compleximacated. Can be a poster of a kitty with the text "Hang in there"

I thought i had more ideas. But i suppose that will do.

huxi

While I kind of like the weapons bench idea in general, I fear that it would complicate matters significantly.

Where you'd currently simply search for e.g. a Lee-Enfield you'd then need to check all available Lee-Enfield for their specific stats to select the best one for varying values of "best". The fastest? The one with the highest range? The one with the most damage? The optimal weapon would depend on the situation at hand.
I think this could get pretty tedious in case of a big amount of racks.

So the weapon bench idea is probably one of those that immediately sound awesome but would turn out being quite the opposite?
I see potential micro management hell...

SteveAdamo

Quote from: TvoEx on October 21, 2013, 09:02:02 AM
Like a *Recycling station. Converts junk like slag to small amounts of metal.

this could be really useful, as i have seen a few LPs where the junkpiles got a bit out of hand... putting those waste materials to use seems reasonable... :)

Quote from: huxi on October 21, 2013, 10:39:32 AM
oh, absolutely... hence my suggestion about making the idea a bit "cheaper" by simply having the result be completely random... you have a "weapons table"... you select a unit, right-click the table and choose "upgrade current weapon"...

your unit walks over, a certain amount of metal is removed from inventory (perhaps relative to the current quality of the gun?)... and the randomness kicks in, potentially improving the efficiency of the weapon, and also potentially damaging or destroying the gun in the process...

no interaction on the players behalf, other than initiating the action at the table...

miah999

Recycling has been suggested several times on this thread, I think it may be time to lock this, as it's really becoming repetitive.

TvoEx

Quote from: miah999 on October 21, 2013, 11:25:12 AM
Recycling has been suggested several times on this thread, I think it may be time to lock this, as it's really becoming repetitive.

I'm sorry. I didn't notice it had been posted before. Too many pages to read too little time.

miah999

No need to apologize, this thread has just grown too large for anyone to take in everything in it.

staffy50

well if people keep suggesting it, then maybe its a sign of how many want it...

Noxmutagen

I'd like to eigth the recycling plants idea and add FURNITURE hauling please!

The button click is a waste, we should be able to haul already made furniture around.

huxi

Quote from: SteveAdamo on October 21, 2013, 10:54:00 AM
Quote from: huxi on October 21, 2013, 10:39:32 AM
oh, absolutely... hence my suggestion about making the idea a bit "cheaper" by simply having the result be completely random... you have a "weapons table"... you select a unit, right-click the table and choose "upgrade current weapon"...

your unit walks over, a certain amount of metal is removed from inventory (perhaps relative to the current quality of the gun?)... and the randomness kicks in, potentially improving the efficiency of the weapon, and also potentially damaging or destroying the gun in the process...

no interaction on the players behalf, other than initiating the action at the table...

I meant that selecting the correct upgraded weapon after randomly upgrading a bunch of them would be micro management hell. A Lee-Enfield wouldn't simply be a Lee-Enfield anymore. You'd have to read the small-print to make a proper selection => tedious from the UX perspective.

SteveAdamo

Quote from: huxi on October 21, 2013, 05:48:35 PM
I meant that selecting the correct upgraded weapon after randomly upgrading a bunch of them would be micro management hell. A Lee-Enfield wouldn't simply be a Lee-Enfield anymore. You'd have to read the small-print to make a proper selection => tedious from the UX perspective.
oh, you're right... thats an excellent point... perhaps that would get tedious? i still like the general idea though... ;)

Conti027

Cleaning bots and Repair bots. Little robots that can clean/haul and maybe repair.

SleepyFox

Only saw one notable mention of aggressive squirrels. So.

RADIOACTIVE MUTANT SQUIRRELS ...maybe some fissionables or a reactor core survives re-entry and mutates some local wildlife and they grow larger, start glowing unnaturally, and develop a taste for human flesh?
Streaming Games 24/7 @ InsomniacGamers.net

staffy50

Quote from: SteveAdamo on October 21, 2013, 10:42:31 PM
Quote from: huxi on October 21, 2013, 05:48:35 PM
oh, you're right... thats an excellent point... perhaps that would get tedious? i still like the general idea though... ;)
Just change the name. it could be Lee Enfield Scopped.

(+20 range)

Easy.