Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffehboy

*Show outline of blast radius when building turrets.*

I always build my turrets too close together and when one goes, they all go. Could you add a radius indicator when constructing turrets, and/or reduce damage done by explosion so there isn't a domino effect when they explode.

FreedomFighters

A New Mechanoid: The Drone.
A balance between the strong but slow Centipede and the Fast but weak Sycther
Has either a charge rifle or an incendiary launcher or a grenade
A New Type of Faction: Nomads
A more wanderous type of outlander and are more likely to appear on the map and can trade personally.
Another Type: Escapees and Refugees
People on the Rimworld trying to survive their forced conditions. Always start warily but they have better equipment than the outlanders

Nasikabatrachus

It would be good if metal dropped by enemies and enemy structures (mechanoids and mortars) were automatically forbidden when they are dropped. The way things are, it can lead to colonists getting themselves into dangerous situations going out to collect metal from a dead mechanoid or a blown up mortar in the middle of a siege.

milon

Quote from: ogto on July 06, 2014, 05:53:11 PM
i'd like a way to prioritize certain jobs, like construct something, gather something, etc. maybe when selecting something to build or to do, you can use one of three priorities.
You can already do this.  Go into the Work tab of the Overview screen, and set it to Manual priorities (green checkmark instead of the red X).  1 = highest priority, 4 = lowest, blank = don't ever do this.

Quote from: kirasaw on July 08, 2014, 06:57:38 PM
A medic in the colony!
The Medicine skills isn't in game yet, but it's planned.  That's why the Doctor job exists in the Work Overview.  Once it's implemented, anyone with sufficient Medicine skill and appropriate Doctor priority can be a medic.

Klaatu

Lockable doors. They're automatically locked for enemies, add a toggle/lock them for your citizens as well.

Haplo

Quote from: Klaatu on July 10, 2014, 07:03:37 AM
Lockable doors. They're automatically locked for enemies, add a toggle/lock them for your citizens as well.
I've added this in my Miscellaneous mod. There you can lock the doors even for your own colonists and they don't even try anymore to go through it :)

max97

Here's a few suggestions,

Toilets, they could increase the colonists happiness as they no longer would have to go outside (or are able to go to a toilet)

Saboteurs? Raiders could pay/entise unhappy colonists to sabotage an aspect of a colony before a raid or leaving

Just a few suggestions :)

max97

Also, the ability to start a colony from a previous one, teleport to other map?, With the resources of the first colony?

Jstank

I have been playing a lot lately and have found it rather annoying that I miss the message that I'm being attacked and am constantly surprised when attackers show up. I suggest automatically setting the game to pause or slow when a red message arrives that way I will actually notice the notification.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Klaatu

Carnivore / Omnivore animals or plants. They can either be predators and attack, or be scavengers (or both). Bodies accumulate without true decay in this game. Scavenger animals could eat stray meat & corpses like current herbivores eat plants / human food.

Carniverous Vegetation could be hostile to small animals and possibly humans if psycho. Main difference is they don't move.

Or: Decay for corpses means they disappear after x time. Could be days, weeks or months, but when 50-100 tribals show up every week... the corpses just pile up faster than furnace can burn them. Have to resort to grenades.

Yes, I do have a corpse pile-up problem.

theapolaustic1

More "personal" items would not go amiss. The game is set up to want pretty large individual rooms (not sure what the exact parameters are, seems to be a bit over 25 squares?), but there aren't really many things to put in there. Plant pots seem nice, but screw with the priorities for your gardeners so you don't really want to put those in colonist rooms (honestly I think they should be changed to not need replanting, otherwise the metal cost seems a bit obscene on top of the priority issues they cause). Give us a chess board, a bookshelf, maybe even a proper rug. Just some simple decorative items to make things look more fleshed out. Relatedly: Make it possible to carry meals in a stack or something. It looks cool to have individual tables spread out, but given only one meal can be carried at a time, it's really inefficient and just penalizes creative colony design.

I think it would be nice to make the haul order function more as a "prioritize hauling" than what it is now. As it is, you kind of have to manually send them out in that direction, and even then they might decide they're not too interested in carrying it and will only pick up one or two items instead of everything. Not sure how easy this adjustment would be to make, though. (At the very least, try to make improving hauling a priority in a soonish build. It's not terrible yet, but I feel like as you need to add more resources and crafting, the problem will just exacerbate itself.)

Make there be some way of dismantling/repairing things that were built by someone else. After a siege, you pretty much have to send someone out to stand in a field and shoot at a mortar until it blows up, which is silly. And if you take a pre-built stone building over, your colonists refuse to repair the walls, even if it's in your homezone.

Related to walls: Make it possible to replace walls/doors by putting a structure build order over them. It is extremely annoying that you have to dismantle them before you can rebuild them if you decide to change things.

It seems as though story events are somewhat scripted (that is, if you have a raid come up and reload a save a few days prior, the raid still shows up the same day), would it be possible to have a way of predicting that? Less so for raids (that will probably have to wait until the faction system is more well-established), but for weather reports and whatnot, maybe? Could just serve as a new research item that allows the forecast.

This one may be pushing the lines of cheap, but I think it's feasible in a limited way right now: Prisoner labor? It'd probably be difficult to have fully functional, but I think it wouldn't be too hard to set it so that they can fulfill orders within their prison room (cooking/growing being the most obvious applications, mining probably would be a bit more of a pain to have operational).

As a research option: "Packed dirt/sand". Basically the exact same thing as smooth stone, just for outside of the caves. I understand limiting the free flooring early on, but later in the game it's more of an annoyance than anything else. Throwing this thing in would probably let you delay when you inevitably work on vehicles by about four builds, lol.

Would it be hard to add in a slight boost to goodwill when you kill an enemy of a faction? I'm assuming this is planned regardless once factions are more important, but it'd be nice to help repair the damage from requesting allies to fight someone that supposedly you mutually hate.

Quote from: Jstank on July 10, 2014, 06:50:14 PM
I have been playing a lot lately and have found it rather annoying that I miss the message that I'm being attacked and am constantly surprised when attackers show up. I suggest automatically setting the game to pause or slow when a red message arrives that way I will actually notice the notification.

ETA: This. It surprises me that it's 2014 and it's still not standard for games like this to have a "pause on event" toggle option in the settings. It would be greatly appreciated.

Headshotkill

I want a wheelbarrow, similar to Dwarf fortress which helps transporting goods and materials.

theapolaustic1

Quote from: Headshotkill on July 11, 2014, 04:02:20 AM
I want a wheelbarrow, similar to Dwarf fortress which helps transporting goods and materials.

Given we're on a sand planet (with snow in the files but unused), I think that a sledge would make more sense than a wheelbarrow. Those tend to get stuck.

I agree, though. Easier long distance transport would be nice.

Headshotkill

Quote from: theapolaustic1 on July 11, 2014, 04:16:37 AM
Quote from: Headshotkill on July 11, 2014, 04:02:20 AM

Given we're on a sand planet (with snow in the files but unused), I think that a sledge would make more sense than a wheelbarrow. Those tend to get stuck.

I agree, though. Easier long distance transport would be nice.

Oh, I thought of dumping rocks outside from caves and stuff...

TheOcean

Add an option ,,turn off giving up"

I hate this.

1.Land after the accident in space
2.Building a base
3.Build solar power plants
4.Build turrets
5.All people give up and leave the colony.
6. Alt+f4