[1.0] Preemptive Strike

Started by DrCarl, October 15, 2019, 10:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrCarl

Mod Name: Preemptive Strike
Chinese Name: 先发制人
Author:Dr.Carl (Steam) / DrCarl (Ludeon Forum) / Carl_general(贴吧) / DrCarlLuo(GitHub Account)
Prerequisite Mod: None
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam Workshop Link
GitHub Repository Link
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
License: You can explore, modify and reuse my code as you wish (source code is in GitHub repository), but please give me credit.
Languages: English, Simplified Chinese
Credits: 1. Some features in this mod are inspired by the mod Spotted by TGPArcher
   2. Some textures and UI icons are from some online sources. Their credits are noted in the file "ThirdPartyAttributions". You can find it in the root folder of this mod.
   3. Some textures are modified from the vanilla Rimworld art source by Ludeon Studios.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brief Description
This mod can be count as a small overhaul of the spawn mechanism of the vanilla raid and other incidents. When raids, manhunter packs and other incidents are triggered, the enemies will no longer be like "teleported" to the corner of your colony while none of your colonists are able to notice their incoming, as if your enemies are using a jump drive or something (Psi Jump for tribal raiders, I guess?). Instead, in this mod, each time a group of people or a herd of animals are going to "visit" your colony (whether they are hostile or not), they will be spawned as a real entity in the world map and move towards your colony. During their march to your colony, you can use various facilities and techs provided by this mod to detect their incoming, so that your colonists can be well-prepared for the incoming threat.
With this mechanism, during your enemies' incoming, you can also conduct your "pre-emptive strike". You can use your comms console to contact them actively, bargain with their raid goal (in this mod, every raid is offered a raid goal), succumb to their demand, or raise the morale of your colonists by insulting your enemies. All of these are achieved by your high social skill colonists to negotiate by persuasion, intimidation, and beguilement. Of Course, you can even fight outside your colony and defend your colony a thousand miles from your colony. (but I guess no one is gonna do this)
https://imgur.com/SJzlRER
Since several new features are introduced by this mod, if I don't explain it clearly, you will be at a loss when you use my Mod. So, I will give you a detailed introduction to this mod.

I wrote quite a detailed introduction and other compatibility issues to this mod in the workshop page. If you are interested in my mod, please check it out: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1890377807

linkman1234963

WHEW BOY. You sir have made my night :D I've always wanted something like this. Though, personally the graphic for the towers is kinda...off? Is that the work I'm looking for? The radio stuff looks :ok_hand:, but the way the towers are set up just kinda look odd IMO. Though the functionality is awesome.

makute

This is really cool! How will it work along with a mod like Safely Hidden Away?

Edit: Would be possible to make some of the effects "stackable" with aditional towers? Like in the Spotted? mod?

Also, do the colonist on the towers shoot? It would awesome to have a sniper or a spoter with binoculars up there.

suicidalkid

Oh boy, now I can really get some use out of the punisher railguns from Rimatomics! Just send a small team and do a fire mission to obliterate them from a distance. I'm also interested to know if this will stack with Spotted.

makute

Quote from: SuicidalKid on October 16, 2019, 07:22:35 AMI'm also interested to know if this will stack with Spotted.
My guess is that they are mutually excluyent. My question was aimed to as if the player will benefit from having several towers at once, maybe increasing the chances to identify the incoming menace.

Ruisuki

oh man....i wont be able to decide between this and spotted. Ughhhh but that security report....arghhhhh. Oh wait a second...it looks like it could be complimentary. Now the question is whether I have enough space left for raid detection buildings. Nice that it allows you to engage with them after detecting them with spotting. Plus a visual map representation. Nice....

Canute

Wouldn't it be time for another mod ?
Covert Ops Raid !
You only get a msg. that you got a rumor that a faction start an attack on your colony.
But they remain invisible until they are at your map/next to your base!

Ruisuki

Quote from: makute on October 16, 2019, 07:33:34 AM
Quote from: SuicidalKid on October 16, 2019, 07:22:35 AMI'm also interested to know if this will stack with Spotted.
My guess is that they are mutually excluyent. My question was aimed to as if the player will benefit from having several towers at once, maybe increasing the chances to identify the incoming menace.
so i know the towers from spotted do stack. but it would be interesting if the OP could look into adding some sort of benefit for using towers/arrays from both mods. A simple benefit could be EVEN better tracking than what stacks but maybe something more unique could work when used simultaneously given how AFAIK the buildings from spotted dont require labor, and the ones here do. Doesnt sound like a lot but makes a big difference. Maybe some sort of spying system so you can get an idea on their negotiation dialogues? Just spitballing but my fear is spotted becomes redundant

makute

Both mods are too similar to work well together. They offer the same benefits and mechanics and even have the same Research project names. A watchtower is a watchtower.

Personally, after a few years of mod hoarding, I'm working my way into ditching any redundant mod in my games. It helps with inter-compatibility and shortens the load times.

suicidalkid

Could we get some sort of indicator on which colony crowds/herds/pods are heading towards? I have 2 colonies, and when a crowd is incoming to one of them, I have to check the world map because there's no information given on which colony they're heading towards.

linkman1234963

Sad to say that I keep running into some issues. When it tries to spawn a raid sometimes it'll just get confused and not even try.

Flimflamshabam

I'm having problems with the mod not detecting meteors or drop pod raids till they arrive. Its detecting standard raids and solar flares just fine, also I have the odd hiccup where a raid comes in labled as a Mechanoid Hive human group, and sometimes its just normal mechanoids, but sometimes its humans.

Ruisuki

did this mod ever resolve the issues people were having?????????

sidfu

Quote from: Ruisuki on February 04, 2020, 11:39:58 AM
did this mod ever resolve the issues people were having?????????

nope the mod is basically abandoned with  the mod maker never replaying on steam yet going online