Tynan - what are *you* looking forward to most

Started by SteveAdamo, October 24, 2013, 10:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveAdamo

once the campaign frenzy and digital dust has settled, what are you looking forward to most, in regards to RW's development - im not sure you want to divulge your personal comings and goings... :p

has there been one or two vocal elements, or consistent themes/feedback you've received from testers/youtubers/forum members?

Tynan

I really really want to do archaeology. I'm going to do proper stockpiles before then, which will make a huge difference. But I think the first big thing after that will be archaeology.

Here's my (super rough) notes on the module. These are not plans or promises, just thoughts. Do not get mad if the module turns out differently.

Archaeology
Spawn some ruins of old bases above and below ground. Don’t be wimpy, use big interesting spaces with pillars etc. Make a stone wall and ancient metal wall buildings.
Some ruin walls are extremely difficult to take down.
The ruins fill a corner of the map.
Megastructures â€" giant walls crossing the map, etc.
Mechanoids who take weeks to awaken once disturbed. You have to build killing apparatuses around them.
Sometimes you unearth WMD and it starts ticking. It you can’t stop it or wall it in super-well or research it to death in time it dies. The timer runs at least a cycle.
Archaeology victory.

After that it will be modding; I really want to see what people do with the game!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

SteveAdamo

Quote from: Tynan on October 24, 2013, 10:48:15 PM
I really really want to do archaeology.

if you come through on even a portion of your brainstorming, it will be worth it... archaeology sounds fantastic...

After that it will be modding; I really want to see what people do with the game!

excellent! i wasnt sure where this ranked for you... there are few things that can help a game establish a solid foundation like a healthy modding community... :)

Tynan

Archaeology is interesting to me because it allows the player to "take the offensive" in a building game on building-game time scales. You can pace your own challenges when you're the one starting the conflict. It's really cool in both design and fiction.

And I love the idea of unearthing something dangerous that is ticking down to kill you, so you get to build a giant killing apparatus to try to take it on when it wakes up. Given a ton of time to build stuff to kill something that's gonna spawn at a known time and place, I think players will have lots of chances to be creative. Instead of always just responding to raiders.

Semmy

Tynan. Might i ask why you choose to go for arch and modding first?

The game could use a few more items to build.
For explanation some more things to keep your goons happy. Or are they already on the shelves just waiting to be added?

i mean we got a cafeteria now we just need a footballtable
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Fernadon

On the one hand I agree with Tynan going for arch now - it's still pre-alpha & it's best moment to go for the bigger, more important gaming parts now and doing the finetuning later.
On the other hand I agree with Semmy going for some more items and mini thinks to keep us happy.
Hard decision

finally I think it might be slightly bette to going on with arch and modding. Because when Tynan starts finetuning and adding a few items he risks to get carried away and rambles on.

Jakadasnake

Kudos to the user who asked this, because that Archaeology idea sounds AMAZING. It truly is a set your pace type challenge for a base building game. Only dig as far as you're willing to risk type thing. Really sounds promising!

Kalesin

I love the idea of archeology (I am big fan of movies like Indiana Jones or The Goonies).

If we can make suggestions or offer ideas, will be a pleasure to collaborate.

FangoWolf

Where's the Stargate? or the place hand in device and the planet is terraformed? :)

SteveAdamo

Quote from: Tynan on October 24, 2013, 11:21:15 PM
You can pace your own challenges when you're the one starting the conflict. It's really cool in both design and fiction.

agreed... having something you can approach methodically (explore, unearth, react to), on your own (initial) pace is wonderfully fun in simulation type games...

Quote from: Jakadasnake on October 25, 2013, 07:08:52 AM
It truly is a set your pace type challenge for a base building game. Only dig as far as you're willing to risk type thing. Really sounds promising!

it does indeed! and it makes those random tunnel digs a bit more adventurous... :)

Tynan

More stuff to build - what do you mean exactly? You mean adding more ways to develop your own colony, I suppose. More workshops and decorations and such? It makes good sense. I hope to do this stuff continuously, "under" developing everything else. But if there's call for it I could just take a month and focus on colony development.

Semmy

Quote from: Tynan on October 25, 2013, 12:32:18 PM
More stuff to build - what do you mean exactly? You mean adding more ways to develop your own colony, I suppose. More workshops and decorations and such? It makes good sense. I hope to do this stuff continuously, "under" developing everything else. But if there's call for it I could just take a month and focus on colony development.

more stuff to build.
Primarily im thinking decorations atm. There is very little you can build to make your people happy.
We all remember the statue gardens from dwarf fortress i think. How about being able to place a arcade machine or lounching chair in your cafeteria that your guys could use to get happy.

And yes the game does need workshops. but i think that goes hand in hand with the weapons topic. You need a workshop to make weapons/repair them.
You could have a workshop for making different kinds of food and i could go on for long. But lets be honoust i havent had a bite of that paste they get but even i cant see it anymore d-;
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Muxsey

I really really want to do archaeology. I'm going to do proper stockpiles before then, which will make a huge difference. But I think the first big thing after that will be archaeology.

Here's my (super rough) notes on the module. These are not plans or promises, just thoughts. Do not get mad if the module turns out differently.

+1 for Archaeology... it seems so fitting for the game and it's style imo.
Archaeology
Spawn some ruins of old bases above and below ground. Don’t be wimpy, use big interesting spaces with pillars etc. Make a stone wall and ancient metal wall buildings.
Some ruin walls are extremely difficult to take down.
The ruins fill a corner of the map.
Megastructures â€" giant walls crossing the map, etc.
Mechanoids who take weeks to awaken once disturbed. You have to build killing apparatuses around them.
Sometimes you unearth WMD and it starts ticking. It you can’t stop it or wall it in super-well or research it to death in time it dies. The timer runs at least a cycle.
Archaeology victory.

Fodd

Another +1 vote for Archeology - Sounds like would be LOTS of fun, and feels like it would be very easy for the AI story teller to slip in to the undiscovered part of the map or activate at an appropriately calm (or already on the precipice of disaster/extinction) moment.

Haplo

Archeology, yeah!
After Biomes this was my second wish. And your ideas are really fantastic. For me it would have been enough if I could find some old structures with maybe a small tread inside but your ideas are really so much more..
I'm really looking forward to your implementation  ;D