[1.3.3066-1.3.3072] Game window visually freezes, can still hear gameplay

Started by Abbanon, July 28, 2021, 04:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbanon

Ever since the stable 1.3 release (I haven't tried the open betas; I doubt it'd be any different) I've been experiencing a very concerning bug with RimWorld as a whole.

This happens in both Vanilla + Modded. But I will only be addressing Vanilla for this topic.
This ALSO happens in both Ludeon Website versions + Steam versions. But I will only be addressing the Steam versions for this topic.

My game window will "freeze" on a single frame, but will continue to run. This happens at any random moment while playing with a colony.
I can still hear the game's audio, as well as the little audible cues from mousing over UI buttons and pressing hotkeys.
So I know the game's still working on a technical level. I just can't see what I'm doing. I have to exit the game via ALT+F4.

I've tried doing the following:
- Complete game uninstalls/reinstalls. This includes wiping leftover data from "LocalLow\Ludeon Studios" and the game's install folder.
- Ensuring my drivers are up to date. This includes re-installing them.
- Verifying my game files (on Steam). I've done this countless times.
- Simply restarting my computer. Because it doesn't hurt to try, right?

Additional spec information:
RAM: 8 GB
(I can supply further information upon request, I'm not sure what else might be needed.)

Of course, my log will be attached to this post.

I've also done some simple searching around online.
I've discovered a bunch of people having similar issues with various Unity-based games in the past, including with RimWorld itself.
But unfortunately I can't seem to find any concrete method of resolving this.
"Time to face the music. What song drives you?"

Canute

Hi,
since you use a unusal video card (NVIDIA NVS 5200M) i think it is either a driver issue (but you said they are uptodate), or a generel problem with that card.
The log indicate that too, you got alot
d3d11: failed to create buffer (target 0x1 mode 0 size 1632) [0x887A0005]
at the end of the log.

Did you got problems with RW 1.2 before too ?

But overall that is nothing, the devs could fix beside to use an older unity engine, and i don't think that will happen.

Abbanon

Quote from: Canute on July 28, 2021, 04:30:56 AM
Did you got problems with RW 1.2 before too ?

No, 1.2 and earlier gave me zero issues. As I've stated in my main post, this only occurs with 1.3 versions.
"Time to face the music. What song drives you?"

Ark

Rimworld 1.2 uses Unity 2019.2.17f1, RimWorld 1.3 uses Unity 2019.4.26f1.
It's propably the new(er) Unity and old graphics drivers.

Nvidia NVS 5200M was launched in June 2012, the latest Windows drivers at nvidia.com are from October 2018. Linux drivers are from last week. You could try a live usb Linux. Mint / Ubuntu are among the newbie-friendliest. I suggest Xfce version, since it's a bit lighter.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Edit: Same issue: Freezing on Select Starting Site

skullywag

Im gonna add to this and state that im seeing a small but consistent reporting of this same issue since the 1.3 release around reddit and other forums etc and am experiencing the same thing myself modded or not, im using a GTX 2060 so nothing weird, pre 1.3 this was never an issue and this is a unity error so as above my monies on something dodgy in the unity build being used in 1.3.

I get it whenever i get a raid above a certain size (like 70+ pawns) so basically once i hit a wealth limit the game will crash/freeze on single frame where it continues to run in the background (i can still click stuff and hear sound) and the log fills with the above error.

Oh and am on latest nvidia drivers.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Canute

skullywag,
do you use a 2.monitor maybe ?
Look's like these unity 2019.4 got problems with 2 monitors.
Another one with a 2060 got the same problem, and turn off the monitor before playing RW helped.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=54939.0

skullywag

Nope single monitor im afraid. Trying to get a reproducable save but due to the raids being generated its never truly the same each time for me, so sometimes itll work others it wont. Im thinking its something to do with the new pawn rendering maybe, total guess but my issue is deffo related to number of pawns on screen, especially injured ones, good god do those little decals wreck your fps (I also confirmed this by using dubs perf analyzer) dead corpses in my fridge riddled with bullet holes are a resource hog for me.

edit - jeez was just checking the player.log file and notepad++ couldnt open it, checked and its 2GB+ in size......WTF is going on

Canute

Quoteedit - jeez was just checking the player.log file and notepad++ couldnt open it, checked and its 2GB+ in size......WTF is going on
Look's like one of your used mods add alot of debug spam.

Btw. i use a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 too, but with older driver (27.21.14.5671). I only update something when i needed to not when there are a new version is ready.

skullywag

Nope vanilla, bar dubs perf and associated mods for debugging, was 100s of 1000s of lines of the d3d error, only updated the drivers after seeing the drivers could cause this fault, might rollback and see if it makes a difference. Did notice my VRAM spiking a bit close to the 6gb on this card, not sure if thats a clue.

skullywag

I did some troubleshooting on this to see if i could find a way to overload the vram in the game to see what the outcome would be (i.e would it behave and error in the same way) turns out you can use one of the pawn HD patcher mods to stop the new pawn rendering system and upscale your pawn detail to like 512 and then spawn pawns all over the place until your vram gives up and dies and sure enough it fails with the same errors when it does, ran the same test again with it set to 256 and the vram didnt die before the cpu couldnt take it hence not seeing the issue.

So, in conclusion, anyone getting the d3d error above i THINK is having their vram spike before their cpu does whereas before 1.3 we only ever had it the other way where the cpu would crap out reducing the load on the vram so never seeing the issue. There is something up with pawn rendering imo, cant prove it conclusively without more testing and more knowledge from people more experienced in this subject matter than me but I think im in the right area.

Mod in question:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2538746878

Im going to try playing with just this on and having it set to 256 and see if in my next few playthoughs i get any issues, if i dont, im going to have to conclude the new pawn rendering has something wrong with it.

Pheanox

Thanks for going out of your way on this Skallywag, I will bring it up to the devs for review.

Scorpio

It seems since 1.3 the game is eating lots of V-ram for no reason

Canute

Hi,
someone else notice that too, maybe take a look at
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=54906.0
And when you got problems, you can try to use that recommend mod too.

skullywag

Quote from: Canute on July 31, 2021, 04:07:39 PM
Hi,
someone else notice that too, maybe take a look at
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=54906.0
And when you got problems, you can try to use that recommend mod too.

Did you mean to link to the same thread? or were you stating to use the mod i put in my post?

ison

Thanks for reporting everyone, it could be because we've introduced texture atlases in 1.3 to increase performance. There could be a bug somewhere which prevents the texture atlases from being created correctly, we'll investigate this.