Internal Version 243

Started by Tynan, October 28, 2013, 01:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Just keeping people updated on what I've been tooling away on over here. Testers have been banging on version 243, which has these marvelous improvements over the classic YouTuber build, 232.

•   You can now prioritize colonists’ tasks individually.
•   Levels now cap at 20 (as designed).
•   Power connectors report power net status.
•   You can now dump meals in dumping areas.
•   You can now click on names in the overview to center on the colonist.
•   Overview now displays health of wounded colonists.
•   Hid the trait system for now to avoid confusion (since traits do nothing).
•   All weapons now have unique graphics.
•   Rewrote storage square management system to use the generalized work reservation manager.
•   Added map size adjustment in an advanced menu at game start.
•   Fast-forwarding is disabled during combat where you are under attack.
•   Added max selection size and max drag designate size.
•   Added raiders: sniper squad and mercenary squad.
•   Balanced down hydroponics growth rate.
•   Charged batteries now explode while burning.
•   Some electrical devices now short-circuit and cause fires if left out in the rain while running.
•   Split shooting accuracy breakdown into misses due to equipment and misses due to skill.
•   Rebalanced shooting and melee to make skill more important.
•   Drafted colonists no longer interrupt when melee attacked.
•   Traders are now rarer but carry more goods.
•   Dump sites no longer default to accepting humanoid corpses. Graves no longer default to accepting animal carcasses.
•   Smoothed out and softened how AI Storytellers handle colony population.
•   Colonists now gain bad thoughts from sleeping outside.
•   Added skills (which do nothing yet): cooking, medicine, artistic, crafting
•   Added work tags (most of which do nothing yet): Firefighting, scary, artistic, cooking
•   Added credits screen.
•   Replaced all noncommercial free sounds and attributed those under attribution licenses.
•   Various bugfixes and balance adjustments. Optimizations and bugfixes.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Blitz

Oh wow, you really have been working hard and taking lots of the good ideas from the community!

I like the changes to the overview menu. These were much needed.

I also read that you changed up sounds and graphics. Are these new artist designed assests that will stay, or more temp ones?

Tynan

Quote from: Blitzkriegsler on October 28, 2013, 02:37:34 PM
Oh wow, you really have been working hard and taking lots of the good ideas from the community!

I like the changes to the overview menu. These were much needed.

I also read that you changed up sounds and graphics. Are these new artist designed assests that will stay, or more temp ones?

The artist is still getting onboard and finishing up another project. It'll be a few months before you see any of that.

GC13

Quote from: Tynan on October 28, 2013, 02:40:35 PMThe artist is still getting onboard and finishing up another project. It'll be a few months before you see any of that.
But when he gives you concept art you really like and tell him "yeah, gimme stuff kinda like this" you'll share it with us, right? :)

SteveAdamo

Quote from: Tynan on October 28, 2013, 01:45:20 PM
•   Fast-forwarding is disabled during combat where you are under attack.

oh, so that's what happened when those squirrels went bat-s* crazy... good to know! :)

•   Colonists now gain bad thoughts from sleeping outside.

yes... yes they do, the miserable little ingrates...

Haplo

Thanks for the update of your hard work!
It really looks good and I look forward to watch the new batch of videos.
Or hopefully play it for myself next week, which ever happends first ;D

Tony

Even though I cannot play yet, those look to be good changes.
Tony Gibson

DeltaV

Mother of God... This looks amazing. Four more days :D
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Semmy

•   Some electrical devices now short-circuit and cause fires if left out in the rain while running.

this is awfull just awfull.
I think that sunlamp thats next to my crops has already been repaired like 5.000.000 times since it only seems to rain on my planet d-;
Well atleast i now know for sure the firefighting skill works d-;
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

DeltaV

Quote from: Semmy on October 28, 2013, 06:13:40 PM

I think that sunlamp thats next to my crops has already been repaired like 5.000.000 times since it only seems to rain on my planet d-;

Hydroponics, maybe. Why are you using sun lamps outside, anyways, when there's an actual sun?
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Semmy

Quote from: DeltaV on October 28, 2013, 06:19:34 PM
Quote from: Semmy on October 28, 2013, 06:13:40 PM

Hydroponics, maybe. Why are you using sun lamps outside, anyways, when there's an actual sun?

because i'm scared in the dark.
And at night there is no sun d-;
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Morrigi

Is there some kind of benefit regarding this? All I've ever seen it do in other games is to create annoyance.

Produno

Quote from: Morrigi on October 28, 2013, 06:47:51 PM
Is there some kind of benefit regarding this? All I've ever seen it do in other games is to create annoyance.

I think to help prevent lag.

Btw, good progress Tynan. Cant wait to play :). Oh and do we also get your prototypes when the pre alpha is released if we backed the 30 CAD tier? Couldnt find any info on that.

Last but not least. Different IP rating cables, junction boxes, sockets, connections etc dictate how impervious it is to water. For instance im an engineer and work in a wet environment factory so the electrical equipment has to be high IP rated to account for all that water everywhere. Will something like this be implemented into the game as an upgrade in the future? :).

Tynan

Quote from: Morrigi on October 28, 2013, 06:47:51 PM

This is actually a short-term fix to a performance problem. I know, I'd prefer they weren't there. Hopefully these will go away in a while. The limits are quite high though, so you might never even notice them.

QuoteDifferent IP rating cables, junction boxes, sockets, connections etc dictate how impervious it is to water. For instance im an engineer and work in a wet environment factory so the electrical equipment has to be high IP rated to account for all that water everywhere. Will something like this be implemented into the game as an upgrade in the future?

Not any time soon, just for simplicity purposes. The rain shorting thing is actually a mechanic to encourage people to build actual rooms with roofs instead of minmaxing by just putting everything outside. Fictionally, I'm just saying that these desperate crash survivors aren't great electricians :)

Produno

Quote from: Tynan on October 28, 2013, 08:27:19 PM
Fictionally, I'm just saying that these desperate crash survivors aren't great electricians :)

Purely playing devils advocate here, but... They can manage to build and maintain electrical grids, solar panels and automated sentry guns :p. we could say the harsh environment and climate causes the cable sheath to rot and the chemicals brought down in the rain has an exaggerated effect of this. That would expose the copper cable causing it to short circuit and cause fires :). Proper rcd protection ect is probably something they wont have so dont need to worry about that.

Anyways ill shut up now and stop clogging up your update thread.   :-X