Remove automatically built/generated roofs and let us build them manually.

Started by ZestyLemons, August 23, 2014, 06:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZestyLemons

Hi,

I think everyone gets a little frustrated with roofs, especially when trees make their own roofs because they're really close, or when stuff gets crushed under an auto-constructed roof because you forgot to set a no-roof zone in an area under heavy construction. It's also not fun to mouse over tiles to see if they're roofed or not.

So I propose a simple solution (conceptually at least): Just let us build our own roofs.

A click-and-drag control like floor tiles is all thats really needed. "Construct roof" and "deconstruct roof" would replace the "no-roof" zone and "remove no-roof zone". That means I can put roofs where I want, and they'll stay there.

It'd also be greatly appreciated to have an opacity slider for roofs - people can have it set to completely transparent, or completely opaque or anything they want in between. This means that you or I could just look at a tile to see if it has a roof over it or not.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Lost Cause

There does seem to be an issue here... I had several solar panels auto roof themselves and they weren't even against a wall. They were near one but not touching it and the roof only covered the 4 by 4 area directly over the solar... so... the solar was holding up the roof?
I have no idea what triggered the auto roofing. it seems to happen randomly
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

_alphaBeta_

I would agree that roofing is rather cumbersome right now. There's no easy way to tell what areas are going to get a roof, where natural roofs can be removed, and what the implications of removing walls or supports are. The player needs to remember to count off squares from the nearest wall(s) etc., and certain geometry makes for a frustrating experience.

I'm really thinking that collapsing roofs should be removed until the players' control over roofs is improved. Having seriously injured colonists from a collapsed roof that the game gave no indication of is usually a reason for me to reload. Usage of the "no roof region" zone also feels gamey. That same roof that just killed some colonists during a previous save load, now comes down immediately and safely just because I remembered to flag the construction site as a particular zone.

I'd also suggest the ability to build roofs explicitly, and be able to dismantle certain natural roofs. A graphical overlay on the map showing the unalterable roof areas (such as overhead mountain) would also be helpful in base planning. Short of mousing over each square of the map, it's hard to know where the mountain is.

stefanstr

Yes please! I'd rather I had to put every roof manually. Having to thing about no-roof zones etc. is really annoying.

Shinzy

You'd have to do whole lot more zoning with putting a rood on every single building than dismantling a roof with the no roof zone

I'd just like to see the automatic roof thing be lot smarter where it builds them

Still roofing yourself would be real nice for those shelters you occasionally wanna make with just four support pillars instead of having to first build a whole room
and then dismantling the walls again

Darth Fool

+1.  I think the way to do this is similar to the automatic home region button that allows you to turn off automatically adding areas near new construction to home.  You could just set that you don't want roofs to be auto-built or not.

BetaSpectre

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

ZestyLemons

Quote from: Shinzy on August 25, 2014, 01:55:12 PM
You'd have to do whole lot more zoning with putting a rood on every single building than dismantling a roof with the no roof zone

I'd just like to see the automatic roof thing be lot smarter where it builds them

Still roofing yourself would be real nice for those shelters you occasionally wanna make with just four support pillars instead of having to first build a whole room
and then dismantling the walls again

The thing with building a roof is that it's once-and-I'm done.

Remembering where no-roof zones are kinda sucks, and I'd just prefer to build them myself and have them be mostly transparent but still be able to see them just by looking.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Ladril

i think ist a exploid or bug
but i like to use the no Roof zoon command to find hidden Areas in mountains  ;)