[MOD] (Alpha 10) Space and Prison Meals! (v1.6.6 / 25 Apr 2015)

Started by RemingtonRyder, September 05, 2014, 08:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

Twelve word description: Hoard precious survival meals. Cook prison meals and deliver them to cells!

Mod origin and progress
So you've been sending your colonists off to gather up all those packaged survival meals, but you're tired of the micro of prioritising hauling, and then forbidding those meals before they crack them all open.

This mod sets the packaged survival meals to 'Awful' quality, which means they will be consumed last of all. Nutrient paste quality is adjusted to the same quality as simple meals, so that it is consumed before survival meals. It still generates negative thoughts.

In addition, you can set a bill to cook prison meals, which will taken by the cook to the best stockpile you have set for prison meals - in other words, somewhere where prisoners can reach their food. This allows you to have one meal quality for colonists and another for prisoners.

Changelog

Alpha 6

v1.0.0 - Initial release.  Packaged survival meals rated lower than simple meals.
v1.1.0 - Nutrient paste dispenser meals rated better than survival meals (but still give negative thoughts).
v1.2.0 - Added prison meal variants of simple and fine meals.  Cook five at a time (stack to ten as usual) or single variants which don't stack.
v1.2.1 - Fixes recipe for fine prison meals similarly to v1.3.0 but for Alpha 6.

Alpha 7

v1.3.0 - Updated to Alpha 7.  Fixed a bug in the recipes which meant that a batch of five fine prison meals would only require five meat and five veg.
v1.4.0 - The prison meal recipes are now injected into the cook stove using Recipe Nurse, by JuliaEllie.  You will need to enable the Recipe Nurse mod to use prison meals - it is provided in the latest download.  With this arrangement, new cook stove recipes can be added by other mods without any problems.

Alpha 8

v1.5.0 - Updated to Alpha 8.  Prison meals are temporarily out of action.
v1.5.1 - Prison meals are back on the menu!

Alpha 9

v1.6.0 (Not released) - Alpha 9 compatibility and RW Launcher mod options added.
v1.6.1 - OKNutrientPaste is retired, doesn't work in Alpha 9.
v1.6.3 - Added single meal variants of simple and fine meals (they don't stack) and vegetarian/meat soup variants on the simple meal.
v1.6.4 - Fix: I put exceptedThingDefs in the wrong place. Whoops!
v1.6.5 - Fixed MeatFoodRaw to MeatRaw. Having one of those days, it seems.

Alpha 10

v1.6.6 - Minor update, adding description and options for RWLauncher.

Notes

As noted in the mod description for 1.1.0 onwards, colonists may still divert to eat survival meals if the nutrient paste dispenser is being used.  So, build more dispensers!

As noted in the description from 1.2.0 onwards, you can now cook prison meals.  These are exactly the same as simple and fine meals, but retextured and separate in stockpile lists, so that cooks can stockpile meals inside prison rooms as you see fit.

Colonists can still eat from prison meals, unless of course they've been placed in a prison.

With the 1.4.0 release, you may see some log messages in red when you load up.  That's just telling you that recipes were successfully injected. :)

With the 1.5.1 release and onwards, prison meals are added to the cook stove in a new way which does not require Recipe Nurse.

With the 1.6.0 release onwards, please note that in Alpha 9, nearby meals will receive more priority than further away meals.

Enjoy!

Credits: JuliaEllie for the Recipe Nurse tool.

Iwillbenicetou

So this makes Colonists use meals more and use survival meals as a last resort?
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

RemingtonRyder

Yup, that's it.  I don't know yet whether they will prefer nutrient paste over survival meals... but then I suppose they're both meals of last resort.

DigitalProeliator

Nice and it has stats just slightly less than paste so they should prefer  the past over rations now. I wonder how hard would it be to add a recipe to make our own? You know for like when pirates have loved a mortar into your batteries and now you cant cook anything... Say 1 metal and 10 food, with twice normal prep time should be fair.

Britich

I play on the largest maps so I am definitely using this! Sick of the colonists running 400 tiles to get one meal only to get hungry and sleepy by the time they get back to the colony heh.
(not British)

BetaSpectre

This mod makes sense, Think about it. What would you rather have. Freshly cooked steak, old refrigerated crackers, or Porridge?

I'd definitely not want to eat survival packages all day long as your average colonist. Though IRL I prefer preserved foods over fresh due to convenience
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: DigitalProeliator on September 06, 2014, 01:57:48 AM
Nice and it has stats just slightly less than paste so they should prefer  the past over rations now. I wonder how hard would it be to add a recipe to make our own? You know for like when pirates have loved a mortar into your batteries and now you cant cook anything... Say 1 metal and 10 food, with twice normal prep time should be fair.

Anything's possible.  The campfire mod for example, provides the means of making cooked food without needing power at all.  It's not updated to A6 though.

Clayton

A quick stipulation:

If "Packaged Survival Meals" are anything like the modern day military MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat), then they are definitely very satisfying.

I would personally prefer a good ole' breakfast MRE or any of the chicken ones over even a prepared meal lol.

It really does make sense that they'd want to eat them first.

DigitalProeliator

Funny I was thinking of them more like the old school C-rats because of the gold coloring. I tried to make a recipe myself and could even set it in the queue to be made but was not able to force them to actually cook it... Anyone have this issue before?

BetaSpectre

Modern MRE's are not half bad, but they aren't better than fresh food, unless the fresh food is dubious in nutritional/health value.

Of course it depends on which country's MRE's France's is the best.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: DigitalProeliator on September 06, 2014, 06:07:46 PM
Funny I was thinking of them more like the old school C-rats because of the gold coloring. I tried to make a recipe myself and could even set it in the queue to be made but was not able to force them to actually cook it... Anyone have this issue before?

Hmm.  Did you add entries to set workAmount and workTimeSkillNeed for your custom recipe?

DigitalProeliator

I actually figured it out on my own. It didn't seam to like having metal as an ingredient, and removing that it works just fine. Instead of metal might just make it take more time and need a bit more skill to make. Canning is something that takes some time and skill after all.

Also just to be on the safe side when adding recipes to existing entires, is the proper way to copying the entry in this case "CookStove", from defs\ThingDefs\Buildings_Production.xml, add your recipe and stick in a xml file in your mod folder? Ive never made mods for this game engine and don't want to screw up anything TOO bad lol.

RemingtonRyder

If you use just the entry that you're changing, then there's less chance of a conflict with other mods.  It makes your mod more modular.

However, bear in mind that (from what I've seen) you still need the base object in your own XML file.  So as an example, in this mod I need to borrow a copy of the ThingDef for MealBase, otherwise MealSurvivalPack has nothing that it can inherit properties from.

ApexPredator

Quote from: Clayton on September 06, 2014, 08:12:56 AM
A quick stipulation:

If "Packaged Survival Meals" are anything like the modern day military MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat), then they are definitely very satisfying.

I would personally prefer a good ole' breakfast MRE or any of the chicken ones over even a prepared meal lol.

You my friend are rare in my experience. MREs are great when there is no other food option but if there is any other choice myself and those I worked with wouldn't even crack open a case.

Clayton

Quote from: ApexPredator on September 07, 2014, 10:30:26 PM
Quote from: Clayton on September 06, 2014, 08:12:56 AM
A quick stipulation:

You my friend are rare in my experience. MREs are great when there is no other food option but if there is any other choice myself and those I worked with wouldn't even crack open a case.

But MRE's are full of so many good things; more often than not you'll get a nice candy bar or bag of Skittles/M&M's, one of the delicious "cakes" like the poppy seed one or banana bread one, but if you're really lucky you'll get one of the milkshakes! Gahhhh makes me want an MRE now lol. The Basic Training I went to for the US Army rarely made us eat MRE's and it was annoying.