harvest bionics from corpses

Started by keylocke, December 03, 2014, 03:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

^title :

i understand not being able to harvest organs off from dead people. but bionic implants should still be harvestable, amirite?  ;D

Wex

Yes, you are rite.
I already suggedted this.
Appearently, this would help the colony too much, and was excluded (you have to spend your silver on those bionics).
Also, stealing knife protusions from dead mechanoids would have been great, but alas...
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

StorymasterQ

Well, if you have to spend silver to get bionics, how about a 'bionic part harvester' item that does what it says on the tin, and have that require silver to get/buy/create?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

REMworlder

That's kind of a cool idea, another piece of machinery to add to my crafting workshop/hospital.

keylocke

Quote from: Wex on December 03, 2014, 06:01:23 PM
Appearently, this would help the colony too much, and was excluded (you have to spend your silver on those bionics).

but i have big plans for mah silvers, like making a great big silver longsword and calling myself the silver samurai! er i meant silver chairs.. i'm planning to make silver chairs and listening to angsty music..  ;D

Wex

A not reusable device to harvest bionics from corpses could very well be the solution we were looking for.
That would make you spend your pretty silver and everyone is happy. Now all we need is convince Tynan.  ;D
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

keylocke

i still think we should be able to just harvest bionics from corpses..

if we can take their weapons instead of buying/crafting weapons, why can't we just harvest their bionics? (the dead don't need them, and we can't just let it go to waste. aight?)

Cimanyd

Quote from: Wex on December 03, 2014, 06:01:23 PM
Yes, you are rite.
I already suggedted this.
Also, stealing knife protusions from dead mechanoids would have been great, but alas...

I don't really understand that. Not only does it not make any sense in-game (you can remove bionics from living people, but not dead ones, wouldn't it be the opposite if anything?), but the limit on bionics isn't silver, it's trader availability, and it will stay that way as long as bionics aren't craftable and traders only appear randomly. No matter how much silver you have, if that exotic goods trader has two bionic legs and a neurotrainer, or that food trader has an AI core, or you just aren't getting any traders at all and just a bunch of visits from friendly factions, you can't turn that silver into bionic eyes. And if someone with a bionic eye dies, that's one less bionic eye your colony can ever have. Permanently.

One good reason for it I can think of... if you could get the bionics back, a good strategy would be to just give someone a full set of bionics (both eyes, both arms, both legs), and whenever you fight, put them in power armor and send them at the enemy themselves. (Especially combined with brawler for melee, or careful shooter for a sniper, or trigger-happy for a minigun killer-of-everything.) The movement boost would make them plenty faster than enemy people even with the armor, and the sight and manipulation boosts would make them very good at both ranged and melee combat.

That's possible as it is, of course, but not a good idea. If some mistake or an unlikely M24 shot kills the bionic monster, you've permanently lost six bionics, but if you could get them from the corpse you would just grab them and stick them on the next brawler/careful shooter/trigger-happy you have/get/recruit/buy. This way, you don't do that, because it's better to spread bionics around your colonists so some of them work/fight/move faster and if one dies you only lose one or two bionics.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

RawCode

Raiders should drop nothing.
Current loot system is very very bad and make trading\crafting somewhat obsolete.

Wex

Quote from: RawCode on December 04, 2014, 07:08:21 AM
Raiders should drop nothing.
Current loot system is very very bad and make trading\crafting somewhat obsolete.
Actually, that is far more insensate that being unable to snatch bionics from corpses.
Snach because all you need is a sharp knife, if the "patient" is dead; any butcher could do that.
Raiders not dropping anything would grind the economy of the colony to an halt. If not causing losses.
    Harlan Ellison

keylocke

yea, the option to trade/loot/craft stuff should all be given equal priorities.

there's nothing wrong with looting stuff you got from an enemy's corpse : you survived their assault, you've earned their loot.

there's nothing wrong with just crafting it either : you spend time and resources on it, you've earned the item.

and of course, there's nothing wrong with just buying it from a trader : you spend silver to buy it, you've earned that item.

1st = combat, 2nd = crafting, 3rd = trade. all 3 options are viable, you can even use all 3 options at the same time.

----------------

edit :

what it would be cool to have though is item durability : weapons, armors, bionics needs to be repaired by people with the "repair" task (it's just like repairing damaged walls, everything is done automatically)

also, i like the EMP and solar flares to affect bionics and mechs too. that would be fun (and utterly devastating to my elite cyborg troopers).   :o

giannikampa

I approve the ideas of keylocke.
If you don't die you become very rich in rimworld.
As for now in the name of balance things you can afford become valuable just because they are missing.
it would be great if even after 5 years you had not enought silver to buy all the bionics an exotic trader was selling.
This is the direction for keeping balanced the game, not just preventing you from spending your earnings.
So welcome to some superexpensives ways to have bionics, as well as anything else. Maybe bionics has a maintenance cost in plasteel and electric power over time.
And welcome to more traders with more goods but that wil buy at even less prices your goods.
And welcome to new events that have a cost in silver (bribe raiders at the cost of 10k, call for a trader at the cost of 3k and things like these)
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Drahkon

Items already have durability, just make removal/recovery decrease it, and let it be repaired for a cost at a workstation. At less than 20% durability it's unusable.

mega

Honestly, make all items have a quality attribute. When harvesting a bionic from a corpse, maybe a 50% chance of a loss of one quality level, or some other mechanic.

I also think this would solve some of the more guns and clothes than people I seem to encounter.

rizay

Yeah it is very anoying losing your bionic limbs.