[W|0.8.651] Weird bug with the new crafting system

Started by Madcat, December 11, 2014, 06:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madcat

Summary : when colonist need to craft something (Art, Smithing, tailoring, etc ) they don't finish their project and start new ones.

I started a game very soon after the new version and this bug is so big that I'm surprised that nobody already noted.
One of my colonist started an art project but now it's the 4th time he start a new project without finishing the others.
In the sculptor's table bill i only designed one project.
I have the same bug with tailoring and smithing. I don't have this problem with butchering and cooking.

Dr. Z

Art projects and weapons can take several days to be finished, your crafter will leave the unfinished object at the table and continue the next day.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Madcat

What I'm saying is that I had ordered one object per workshop and my colonist don't finish their work and start new ones

Here's a screenshot :

On my workshop I only ordered 1 sculptur project, 1 parka and one longsword.
On the right top corner you can see my stockpile were there already 4 unfinished art projects and 1 unfinished parka.
On the botom left corner on my workshops you can see other projets and for the smithing bench 3 started longsword projects (from 2 diferents colonist).

Dr. Z

Prasie the Squirrel!

RoseNoelThorne

I saw that on mine. Are you making them do multiple orders or just one at a time? I found if I made them do one at a time, it works. A bit micromanage-y, but they get it done.

Reysuke

Also had the Problem.
Seems to happen when.
A starts something.
A stops.
B starts a new one.
B Stops.
A want to continue. but starts a new one...

Girlinhat

Having the same bug, even with one crafter.  He starts something, immediately gets distracted, and drops the unfinished item on the floor.

skullywag

I reported this on mantis during testing. Thought it got fixed. Will check on it as ive seen multiple reports now A8 is live.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Drahkon

Getting it now.

A worker other than the one who started the in progress item attempt to use the work table and the game tosses a  message:
WorkGiver_FinishUnfinishedThings chose a table that had null BillOnTableForMe TableTailor81440
and sets aside a partially completed item, which never seems to be picked back up.

Selecting said item and canceling it sometimes results in another 1x or more messages:
Spawning destroyed thing Muffalo_Leather522691 at (98, 0, 132). Correcting.

Not a serious bug but kinda annoying.

Girlinhat

The thing is, there's a stockpile for unfinished items, so clearly you're supposed to be able to take things off the table and put them back on...

Dave-In-Texas

I am also getting this.    even with just one crafter, one bill at a time per table.

i'll occasionally run across unfinished items in the dump pile.. can't do a thing with them
and canceling does not seem to reward back resources, not in the usual visual sense anyway.

i'm on 8.652 however, vanilla game.

Cimanyd

Quote from: Dave-In-Texas on December 12, 2014, 04:18:07 PM
and canceling does not seem to reward back resources, not in the usual visual sense anyway.

I think it puts the resources next to where the unfinished thing was, not on the same square, so if it's in the middle of a stockpile they'll end up farther away and you might not notice it.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Drahkon

Yep, dumps it 'nearby' rather than on the same square, and only part of the resources used.

peppie

I think its a serious bug. I ordered one plasteel longsword, three dudes started one, one got finished, now i have 240 plasteel tied up in two unfinishable projects. No workaround seems to exist after an order is finished.

Cimanyd

Quote from: peppie on December 13, 2014, 08:31:58 AM
I think its a serious bug. I ordered one plasteel longsword, three dudes started one, one got finished, now i have 240 plasteel tied up in two unfinishable projects. No workaround seems to exist after an order is finished.

You should be able to click on the unfinished longswords and click "cancel" to get most of the resources back (some are still wasted).

To try to avoid the bug, try to make sure the crafter/artist continues work on the thing often, instead of doing other things. I've only had the bug happen when the crafter/artist left for a while (mentally broke, went out to shoot at centipedes for a while, whatever).

Also, keep only a few people set to crafting or art. I have only two crafters, and I manage art in the overview, only giving anyone the art job (at higher priority than most things, to make sure they work on it constantly to avoid the bug and to get it done) when I specifically want them to make a sculpture, then turning it off once they finish.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.