Priority Queue

Started by stefanstr, September 15, 2014, 06:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefanstr

I would like to have the option to give a colonist multiple orders they would then complete in order.

Simplest way to do it: shift-click on the "Prioritize doing X" command.

dotsnake

it's a good idea, but I prefer schedules. so maybe at 6am-8am; Bob cooks for 2 hours, then at 8am-10am he cleans, then 10am-10:30am, he eats.. etc etc.. It is prioritizing in a different way than your suggestions, but still similar.

BetaSpectre

Schedules make more sense IMO. It emulates IRL more. And works better for some so you don't have 8 guys each building only one wall.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

keylocke

but don't that make it hard to differentiate similar tasks using schedules?

ie :

• what if i want a colonist to finish building the stone wall first before building something else?
    how do you do that with a schedule? do you need another GUI for the scheduler?

• how to do you distinguish between "building the north wall first, before building the wall in the west" or something..

• etc..

meanwhile OP's suggestion is like queueing up tasks, like queueing up waypoints similar to other RTS games. which kinda makes more sense.

it would also allow us to mix and match different tasks easily. ie : strip a corpse, equip it's armor and weapon, drag the corpse to the incinerator. it would be nice to just queue those actions up, allowing the players to focus on other tasks without having to further micromanage that unit.

stefanstr

Thank you keylocke for explaining it better than I have myself.

Schedules are a different beast entirely and wouldn't help with my problem: the necessity to micromanage and keep checking on colonists when they are out an about. E.g., I send my guy to the aftermath of a battlefield and I want him to strip all the dead. Currently, I have to check back with him every 2 seconds or he will strip the first guy and go back to the base to do whatever. Stuff like that.

Cr0ss0vr

priority queue +1, also.. i'd like to be able to force\prioritise people to eat and\or sleep...

keylocke

Quote from: Cr0ss0vr on September 17, 2014, 06:18:59 PM
priority queue +1, also.. i'd like to be able to force\prioritise people to eat and\or sleep...

yep. +1 on that too. it always annoys me when my urgently starving colonist decides to sleep first before eating..

Dusty_Monk

Quote from: keylocke on September 17, 2014, 10:30:43 PM

yep. +1 on that too. it always annoys me when my urgently starving colonist decides to sleep first before eating..

I haven't tried this but I'm guessing if you schedule an operation for the starving colonist you can send them to a medical bed and get a doctor to feed them. Once the doc is on the way you can probably suspend/cancel the operation.

Dusty_Monk

+1 to priority queue. I would also like to see the AI exploit the queue. e.g. Instead of an order to eat food at (x,y) an order to move to an adjacent cell followed by the eat order. This will prevent the food being locked while they travel. Though this would add cpu overhead.

I do not think this queue would be easy to implement though. Would it be possible to mod a queue in?

FtDLulz

+1, I've always wanted a feature like this in Rimworld.

Kirkules

+1 on queued prioritization.

The default/non-manual AI should also choose the next task in a far better way, i.e. if your next task is a construct/deconstruct task, do the next-physically-closest one, rather than the next-oldest-order.

I hate telling a colonist to prioritize building something only to have them bring all the materials for it, then run off and do something completely different elsewhere, leaving no construction done at all. They also will finish one section of a wall and then run away.

There needs to be some kind of detection of "the rest of the job," i.e. nearby tasks that are similar to the one the colonist just finished.