Mods in vanilla.

Started by Adamiks, June 14, 2015, 06:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamiks

I would like to see more mods/ideas from mods being in vanilla game. Why? After playing on mods, vanilla game don't have anything to offer (it's just boring). Someone can say "not anyone can like these mods!", but sappers for example - i think that more people don't like sappers than they wouldn't like let's say Superior Crafting in vanilla game.

Also this would speed up progress on game.

There is a lot of vanilla-friendly mods like Dustrats for example.

Spectre

That's kind of the beauty of mods, I can literally pick and choose what i want in my game. You download one folder, move it into mods and you're done.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

puddlejumper448

I get what you're saying and I do agree, however maybe you just haven't noticed but in every alpha (since 8, when I bought the game, not sure about before that) he has added at least 1 mod into the game. A11 introduced being able to prop open doors, which has been a mod since A8 (again, maybe before 8, idk) and something that vanilla desperately needed imo not only for the convenience but also the realism aspect of the feature, and now its here.

Also your examples are kind of poor choices. Some people may not like sappers, but sappers were a great addition because they add a ton of variety in the game in the form of new strategies needed now, which will augment the game no matter how you play it or what play-style you use. Superior crafting on the other hand detracts from certain play-styles, while catering to others. The extra step in resource gathering (refinement) leads to needing a larger colony to handle all the extra work for it, and some people (me) play with small colonies, 8 pawns max for me, because it adds significantly to the late game play/challenge. SC may be vanilla-like, but its definitely not vanilla friendly. Also with dustrats, i agree that one's vanilla friendly sure, but its just another animal, its not really affecting game play one way or the other. that would be a good mod for the final release, Tynan's time in the alpha releases should be spent on game play mechanics, even if it takes 1 measly hour to do imo

EDIT: I would also like to add in, if you wanted a better example for a mod that probably should be added in, I personally would choose your EMP Pistol from your EMP mod, minus the crafting it part because we cant craft any other guns right now. It's a simple to implement mod that would add to the game play fairly well against mechs, should be vanilla imo, since we have EMP grenades already.

Adamiks

Yea i know that SC was a bad example, but still this would be Tynan's choice, like almost everything in this game like sappers etc. And thank you for kind words, but i don't think that EMP Guns is a good mod for vanilla. Personally i don't even use them :D

@Spectre
Mods in vanilla = new features created by Tynan. If mod will be vanilla-friendly then... you can do literally nothing as in the case sappers. A lot of players don't like them, but what they can do?

+ sometimes this isn't so easy to just pick up mods. A lot of times mods will can't work together without patches.

Devon_v

Sappers were added because mountain bases were almost unassailable. The people who don't like them don't like them because they force them to play for real and not just use exploits.

I'll grant Superior Crafting is a wonderful mod, but it's a terrible way to learn the game. I feel that the engine would need major streamlining in its handling of crafting tasks if SC's glut of resources and tables were to be the only way to play.

That sort of depth also may not be what a player is looking for. Some people just want a casual game. I do agree the vanilla game could use a bit more depth on its own, but it's better left as a solid foundation for modders. Mods can actually be something that appeals to everyone, but vanilla can't.

cy-one

Quote from: Devon_v on June 15, 2015, 06:57:06 PMThe people who don't like them don't like them because they force them to play for real and not just use exploits.
[...]
That sort of depth also may not be what a player is looking for. Some people just want a casual game.
I hope you understand why I quoted those two parts. Regarding one "feature", people not liking it makes them lazy exploiters... Regarding another "feature", it's completely okay to not like it and makes one only a casual gamer? o.O

Devon_v

If someone is playing on Randy Extreme and building an unassailable killbox mountain fortress and then complaining that the AI can actually get in now, then yes, they are whining that an exploit was fixed. Phoebe on Basebuilder exists if all you want to do is build, as do a multitude of variations between.

Making SC or a similar depth mod the base state of the game would automatically raise the complexity of even the easiest mode.

Basically it's okay to make the hardest harder, because you can turn down the difficulty.  If you make the easiest harder, there's nowhere to go.