Animal Taming General Thread. Post your opinions, information, and ideas here!

Started by Toggle, July 11, 2015, 12:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How you feel about animal taming

I like the new features.
I dislike the new features.
I somewhat like the new features but want them implemented differently.
I don't know yet until more changes come out.

Play2Jens

I just wish that the animal pens would work as prison cells instead of player made regions. It seems more realistic. (e.g. a broken pen or no pen at all: animals would "escape" or wander off). Is it possible that the husbandry system would inherit the prisoner system?

Also, Animals should sleep during the night but wake up when a human gets close to them. This would give players also a slight advantage during warg events. 

Cimanyd

• Wild animals can be tamed by designating it so. As with prisoners, handler 'speaks' with the animal and has a chance of taming it every attempt. This is related to the handler's social skill, stats, and the animal's natural wildness. You can only try to tame an animal every so often.
So animals aren't being treated like captured prisoners, where you pick them up and put them in a pen. They're being treated like recruited prisoners or bought tame humans slaves, where they get recruited by a colonist or bought from a trader, and are then part of the colony. More like pets than livestock.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Kegereneku

Quote from: Play2Jens on July 12, 2015, 11:13:13 AM
I just wish that the animal pens would work as prison cells instead of player made regions. It seems more realistic. (e.g. a broken pen or no pen at all: animals would "escape" or wander off). Is it possible that the husbandry system would inherit the prisoner system?

I think Tynan can make them temperamental, you tell them to stay around a zone, but they obey that loosely if at all depending on species.

Myself I'm curious to know if they can open door, remember the velociraptor scene !
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

mumblemumble

Tbh i hope obedience of animals is on a sliding scale. Like first just being around humans / getting fed,  then interacting with humans,  then trying to learn / listen.

I think domestication working that way would be fun
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Toggle

Bump. It is now revealed in the July 14th change log animals are tamed by feeding them food.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Devon_v

I like this feature because when I started playing I would only hunt "extra" males because I thought I needed to avoid depopulating my food supply. Now it can actually be true!

And yes, apparently the real reason we can't have human babies is because Tynan knows we will eat them. The logistics of feeding a captive for nine months just for one babyburger though... it better be good.

Cimanyd

Some kinds of animals get names, but not others? With all the other differences (nuzzle powers, exotic vs prosaic, milkable or not, and what already exists: different sizes and amounts of meat) I think this is making sense. Different types of animals for different purposes. Just like your colonists, you should feel sad about the death of your colony's pet Boomy the boomrat or Waste-of-Silver the [insert new exotic animal here], but not when you execute Muffalo 9 and Deer 15 for food.

Boomy has died of old age.
Fire in home zone.
Battery explodes.
Battery explodes.
Battery explodes.
Your colonists are unconscious from heatstroke.
Battery explodes.
Your colonists have died.
Perhaps someone else will find a use for the ruins of this place.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...

Toggle

Actually, I think it wont be worth feeding them food to recruit them only for slaughter, as it would likely be way more profitable to just hunt them.

Cimanyd

It depends how many of them get born from breeding and how fast they grow up. You're probably right that hunting would almost always be better than killing a tame animal. However, if you have a big herd with more on the way, and you're planning to sell a lot of them anyway, you might want to butcher one of them for meat and leather when needed, just for the convenience.

mokonasakura

So this is already out right? May just be my mods but I can't seem to find any animals for sale and don't see the option to tame them. All my mods say they are A11b compatible though, maybe im just missing something.

Toggle

Sadly the changelog just means it's being added or has been added in his development of the game, but it isn't actually released yet,  and we'll see it in a later update, so possibly 11c or more.

ComradeKhan

It would be neat-o to see a pet system in place like in Dwarf Fortress. That is until all of your colonists are adopted by cats and they take over the fortress by breeding.

More than anything, I just can't wait to drive a muffalo herd for the first time!

Quote from: Tumuel on July 12, 2015, 10:01:40 AM
All I want is a glass of boomrat milk and I will be happy.
I like to imagine boomrat milk is incredibly spicy, and is used in small volumes by tribals as a kind of chilli extract.

b0rsuk

Boomrats should eat Devilstrand.

Maybe each colony should start with a random tame named animal ?

If animals could be trained to haul stuff, they would be VERY valuable! Maybe only muffallos. They would need to be accompanied by a pawn. The muffallo would follow the pawn around, and when the pawn decides to haul something, the muffallo helps.

Speaking of new animals, I want llamas ! With a face spitting ranged attack which gives negative thought. Besides, llamas can be trained to herd animals much like shepherd dogs.

Toggle

It's also been revealed it's more farming now. It's capable to have a fully functioning farm on your base. You could breed chickens, pigs, muffalo, collect eggs, collect milk. And you could also grow crops, which is old, but it's farming.