Where are Backstories defined in the game?

Started by kahlzun, August 20, 2015, 06:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kahlzun

Hi there,

I'm trying to create a listing of the best combinations of backgrounds and traits for individual skills, (for Prepare Carefully or whatever) and  am trying to find the actual xml file in Core that determines which backgrounds are available so I can harvest the data fresh from the source.
Can someone advise which file it is? I found the Traits, but Backstory is a sneaky foe.
Or, if this is already available somewhere that works too.

EDIT: I found this thread: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7572.0
and this doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a-2fa75FNirIbgMPCLbZZU1PObIT55BLMxersJA8Imo/edit#gid=838249380
but i don't know how up to date they are..
Look for me on the KSP forums!
Rimworld. The game where getting a cannibal psychopath with bloodlust is a good thing.

StorymasterQ

I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

kahlzun

It's a good start, however very out of date.
There are only 30 adult backstories listed, and well over 100 are currently in the game.
I've confirmed that the resources I linked above aren't up to date either.
I find it strange that this seems to be not defined anywhere in the game..
Rimworld. The game where getting a cannibal psychopath with bloodlust is a good thing.

StorymasterQ

It's probably defined in the code itself instead of something outside. There are premium options for you to buy to get your own backstory into the game, so it's probably why it's not easily accessed (otherwise why would anyone buy it?)
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Toggle

Quote from: StorymasterQ on August 20, 2015, 10:42:54 PM
It's probably defined in the code itself instead of something outside. There are premium options for you to buy to get your own backstory into the game, so it's probably why it's not easily accessed (otherwise why would anyone buy it?)

Well, because then the official game has it. Also though yeah, it's not in xml.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

A Friend

Quote from: StorymasterQ on August 20, 2015, 10:42:54 PM

- Seeing your character on someone else's game.
- Seeing your character get mentioned by others in some discussions like "Your most badass colonists?"
- Stories potentially being made about your character and their adventures.
- Etc.

Some reasons on the top of my head. Not that I'm saying make it free or anything.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

kahlzun