Undocumented features in alpha12

Started by b0rsuk, September 03, 2015, 07:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

I think superior and above give the +10 mood bonus, but the increased resting speed is the real bonus, you can save like 1-2 hours of sleep with that.

zandadoum

Quote from: MarvinKosh on September 05, 2015, 06:54:58 AM
Something else that's not immediately obvious. Beds can now have a quality. Sleeping in a masterwork bed gives a better comfort mood buff. :D
how about materials? IRL i take a wooden bed over almost anything else... but i haven't got my hands on plasteel IRL to try out yet xD

TLHeart

Quote from: zandadoum on September 05, 2015, 08:17:53 AM
Quote from: MarvinKosh on September 05, 2015, 06:54:58 AM
Something else that's not immediately obvious. Beds can now have a quality. Sleeping in a masterwork bed gives a better comfort mood buff. :D
how about materials? IRL i take a wooden bed over almost anything else... but i haven't got my hands on plasteel IRL to try out yet xD

Material affects rest effectiveness, and beauty. Stone has the lowest rest effectiveness.

Quality of the bed also affects rest effectiveness, and beauty.

Rahjital

Quote from: Panzer on September 05, 2015, 08:01:27 AM
I think superior and above give the +10 mood bonus, but the increased resting speed is the real bonus, you can save like 1-2 hours of sleep with that.

The "luxuriantly comfortable" mood bonus gets much more important when you your pawns contract a disease.

b0rsuk

"Ate in an impressive dining room" stacks, and drinking beer applies the penalty too! That makes impressive dining rooms with beer extremely good for keeping colonists happy. They get the dining room bonus, the beauty bonus, joy bonus from relaxing socially, comfort, and social chat.

If you wonder how high can the bonus go, with two grand slate sculptures I had +9 from a single meal.

Only bedroom and dining room seem to have associated mood bonuses. Correction, I think I've seen something about beautiful hospital too. But I have an impressive workshop and no one cares.

Armchairs are quite mediocre - comfort they offer can be matched by a well-crafted dining chair, or maybe even a legendary stool. Dining chairs, especially wooden ones, are much prettier. One thing they're very good for is boosting room wealth. They're about 300 for cloth, leathers are more expensive, and thrumbofur armchairs have over 6000 _base_ wealth with normal quality.

Excellent thrumbofur duster grants 31.5% sharp resistance, 15.8% blunt resistance, and 33.6% heat armor (inferno cannon). Honestly, they're not that great. Armor - heat is beaten by boarskin dusters, although I'm not sure if any other leather is as resistant to sharp and blunt. Hyperweave is probably better.
Armor vest + at least kevlar helmet protects you from instadeath and brain damage, and anything else you can heal, including missing limbs. Power armor helmets are nice because they protect eyes, but those can be replaced too. I still buy them in late game.

I suspect power armor is inferior to full armor of good quality components - hyperweave button-down shirt, armor vest, hyperweave or thrumbofur duster, good pants. Only power armor helmets are amazing. Dusters have better defensive stats than parkas, and if your climate is not too harsh a well-made duster from alpaca wool or similar will still grant you more than 25*C of /cold/ insulation. They don't have a work speed penalty and are cheaper to make.

I guess the upside of power armor is that it has a ton of HP and your parts don't separately deteriorate.

b0rsuk

This undocumented feature is most likely older than alpha12:
Dandelions in your growing zone will happily spread outside! They will make a nice, organic-looking base even with a bunch of animals. Plus, they look the nicest (to player, not talking about the beauty bonus). The only other sowable plant that spreads might be trees, but I read somewhere they DON'T spread, just magically appear.