Signposts

Started by Cerberus, January 30, 2014, 05:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerberus

I imagine signposts as a single square sign that, upon construction, you get to write text on.

A signpost can be thought of as a lightweight story log - for example, you could place a signpost in the middle of a field where you fought an epic battle. The signpost can then read "Here we took a stand and kept a forty-man strong raiding party at bay. Ten brave colonists gave their life in defense of our great city." You can also use them as gravestones, writing a short epitaph for the colonist buried in the grave.

On the technical side of things, one possible implementation is to have the text being written upon completed construction of the signpost, in a prompt just like the city naming prompt.
The message can then be viewed with tool tip text when hovering over it.

Nukeman0

I like the idea, but maybe it should rather be added when the maps are self- generating/expanding(-ish), or else it could get pretty full at some points.

I really like the idea, though, making memorials and tombstones to honour your brave colonists :)

Another use for this is simply to name rooms and areas in your city/ bunker/ hideout/ colony.
Nukeman0